We recently stayed in the penthouse room and have nothing but praise for the amazing staff at this hotel. The room size was huge and perfect for a family but would advise better suited for older children. It was a bit of a minefield for our two year old due to the room being duplex with a precarious staircase to the second floor which meant we couldnt relax for a nanosecond with the toddler. Also the railings on the balcony are low and large furniture placed at the edge meant we had to keep it locked all the time again because of the pest, sorry, two year old. It was perfect for our older two (6 and 11). The view was the most amazing view out to the Indian Ocean and the sound the hotel literally was on the beach. Perfect. The staff were without exception wonderful and possibly the nicest hotel staff we have ever encountered. The food was delicious (the restaurant was set up on the beach) and the ambience perfect.
I would have scored this fab find a five but for a couple of slight negatives. The room definitely needs some upgrading, especially the bathroom which was rather like a prison cell. It really was horrible (we do like a decent bathroom). Also the balcony furniture was super uncomfortable. A park bench and a rickety chaise lounge. Decent balcony furniture would be a wonderful addition and enable guests to enjoy the view comfortably.
This hotel has two sister hotels in the town too. We also stayed a couple of nights in the year old Thaproban Pavilion. This wasn't on the beach but did have a nice pool. The location wasn't quite so good either. But the hotel itself has it spot on with decor, bathrooms and balconies! It would be perfect if they could take these elements of the Pavilion to the Beach House as really the Beach House is already fantastic, but could be the best hotel ever with just a bit of renovation.
We can't wait to return to Thaproban and would like to thank everyone there for making our holiday so wonderful. We will come back once the two year old stops climbing :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Thaproban Beach house is by the world famous Unawatuna beach. It has oneof the very few best known restaurants in the region. Some rooms areoverlooking the Indian Ocean with private balcony and lot of comfort. Rooms are equipped with A/C, Satellite T.V (LCD), Mini bar, In room teamaking facility, En suite bathroom with hot and cold waterand well furnished. Safe facility is provided and free Wifi in Public area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Thaproban Beach House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thaproban Beach House Hotel Unawatuna
- Thaproban Beach Hotel
- Thaproban Beach Unawatuna