“Nice clean comfortable hotel”

Unawatuna Beach Bungalow Hotel
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Unawatuna
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here in October 2012, we negotiated a good price for two rooms. Hotel is very clean and the service was good, lovely breakfast. Location is just back from the beach, we had a sea view which was lovely, however I didn't sleep too well due to the noise from the waves breaking on the beach - take earplugs! some lovely restaurants close by all reasonably priced with lovely food. It is the only time I have ever gone out for the night and not had to wear shoes - the small streets that run parallel with the beach are so sandy there is no need for shoes! would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 272carol

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the bungalows and had a great experience. Our room was very clean and big. It is very close to the beach and there are a lot of nice restaurants nearby. One thing we loved about the hotel was the service, everyone was nice with us. And don't miss the breakfast, it is really good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ferlops
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Place, managed and run by two brothers, who are friendly, nice and allways up for a good chat. Here we spent really nice couple of evenings. We learned how to play karam which must be combined with local Sri Lankan Arrack drink. Because we came in the low season time, we were able to negotiate for a good price. The rooms are really clean, nice - in good condition. The place is next to the beach, and near to the bus station.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deggial
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I sayed at Unawatuna Beach Bungalow for 5 nights in February. Sarath, the owner, arranged for me to be collected at Colombo Airport and I was whisked down to Unawatuna on the new highway in a couple of hours. I had a room on the first floor which was very clean with quiet and efficient air con. In fact I didn't use the air con much and preferred the overhead fan at night. There was a mosquito net over the bed. The en suite bathroom had a very good shower with hot water supply. I tended to appear late for breakfast in the mornings, but this was never a problem. Breakfast was good with a choice of eggs and a fruit platter.

Sarath and his team were very friendly. I liked the fact that there was night security - some other places in Unawatuna don't have this.

I paid $43/night for room and breakfast including all taxes, which I thought was reasonable.Sarath did not require any money up front when I booked - I paid on arrival in Rupees.

The one thing I would have liked would have been a safety deposit box in the room, however you can leave valuables in the hotel safe.

The guest house is well located away from the main road and is a peaceful place to stay. There are a couple of good bars nearby - try the grilled prawns and beer at the nearby bar on the beach called 'The Yellow' . Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Neil_A55
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Hotel is situated in second row from the beach with less than 50 meters to the waterfront, the family running it are the gentlest people I've met in a long time, and you have the opportunity to be private, when you want that, and to beat the most beautifull beach with lovely water in less than 2 minutes, when that's what you want. Plus: on your doorstep you have a variety of restaurants to choose among, when you go out to dine. Thank you. Ayubowan.
Love Niels Winther

Room Tip: Ask for balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NielsWinther
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed one week in Beach Bunglow in Unawatuna in the end of January 2013, just a few steps from the beach but still with sea view. Mr Sarath was a very friendly host and his staff treated us very nicely - they were always smiling and helpful. The room was clean and mr Sarath also made some "arrangements" so that we could stay in the hotel, even if one of the nights during our stay was fully booked.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PirkkO49
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This quaint accommodation definitely boasts with what other hotels lack. The friendly staff, good clean rooms, the wonderful hospitality is all included in its highly reasonable price. Presently staying at the Unawatuna beach Bungalow with my family, I am amazed at the friendly and helpful manner of all the staff. The owner, Mr Sarath is amazingly hospitable and accommodating, making sure that all your requests are fulfilled to perfection. Food is of a high quality and very tasty.
The location of the hotel is perfectly suited for a relaxing beach holiday, with the beach a very short (2 minutes or less) walk away. Bathing-beds and beachfront restaurants are aplenty and you have an abundance of choices.
A highly recommended place to stay when in Unawatuna, Sri Lanka!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family