“Absolutely amazing”

UTMT Underneath the Mango Tree
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Dikwella
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We have only just returned from underneath the mango tree two days ago ,and I am already longing to return , it has to be the most serene , beautiful and truly memorable place I have ever stayed , and I have stayed in the best hotels from the south of France to Thailand and round again ! you cannot help but smile all day as this is how it makes you feel ,
All the staff are just lovely and they REALLY cannot do enough for you , if you are happy so are they !
As for the food , not in any other hotel have I bothered for breakfast but I made it every morning and eagerly ,It shows !!!!!
We stayed in a room with private pool , which was full of colour and all you could need , this is not your run of the mill 5 star hotel in all beige and grey , it is a beautiful place , that you just won't want to leave , I didn't ,
If you are planning a trip to Sri Lanka , put UTMT firmly on your list as a must do ,
Thank you all for a memorable stay and that is not forgetting Thelma and Louise .

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at this wonderful hotel during mid February. The only negative point being that we didn't book for long enough! The attention to detail is superb, not only in design but also the attentiveness of all the staff. The food is excellent and the overall ambience made it feel like it belonged to those staying there.

A truly wonderful experience for my whole family. (2 boys aged 10 and 8 and a 1 year old daughter.

I have travelled around the world for many years with my work and stay in 5 star hotels, I rank this hotel up with the best that I have experienced.

Thank you for making our trip to Sri Lanka so memorable.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Have you been to UTMT yet ? Look let´s go ... we went there because we love the Hollmanns Beletage in Vienna. When we arrived there was a warm welcome on the airport ( cold water, cold towels) and a gentle driver. The tropical atmosphere and the landscape from Dikwella blow us away it was hot probably 28 degrees. From the first minute on you could see the inspiration from
Petra and Robert Hollmann. This hotel is just perfect, if have never seen such a peaceful place in my life. The crystal clear water the fabulous food and the good taste of Petra and Robert impressed us. The UTMT opened my brain. It is religious, the atmosphere is incredible.
It is not only a HOTEL again it is a family thing.... come and feel at home ....
Applauds for your team
Applauds for your kitchen
Applauds for your rooms
Applauds for your service
Applauds for Lukas and his surf .. service ..and teaching
in the end i will say I´m a kid of the 70this ... we are family and love is in the air !!!!!

1  Thank BarryBahia
Reviewed February 15, 2014

After an excellent stay at the sister-hotel Hollmann Beletage in Vienna, we knew we had to visit UTMT on our trip to Sri Lanka.

The place is wonderfully designed, the food was stunning, and served in a beautifully designed space with magnificent ocean views for lazy breakfasts, and candlelight dinners by the pool. The staff were very friendly, and Robert made a point of talking to us every day to ensure we were happy. There were lots of nice little touches.

Our visit was not without a few minor issues. Our driver from the airport went a little hair-raisingly fast through the local roads (it should be safer and smoother once the expressway is extended from Galle to Matara. Our trip took 3 hours starting at 2am). The driver arranged for our onward journey however was excellent.

The rooms, whilst beautifully designed, are not mosquito-proof so be sure to carefully seal the mosquito net around the bed!

The ocean beach is fairly rough with strong currents, but affords a magnificent sunset view and the pools are lovely to swim in.

The neighbouring property often seemed to be burning rubbish (not uncommon in Sri Lanka) which was sometimes unpleasant depending on the wind direction.

But overall it was a wonderful stay. We wished we had spent more time there. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms with a private pool are well worthwhile.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed at UTMT for the last week of our honeymoon and it was absolutely fantastic. The staff could not be more helpful, the food was 5* every night with a complementary cocktail before your dinner was an extra treat. The room was always clean, it was very spacious and every detail was perfect, down to the own brand shampoo and body lotion products.

The cooking course was great fun and we kept fit on the tennis courts in the evenings (finally beating Robert and Lukas- the owner and his son- on the last night!). There aren't many better places to just chill out, read your book and take a dip in the 25metre infinity pool or in the sea at the hotels private beach.

We would like to say a huge thank you to all the staff at UTMT who made our honeymoon extra special, particularly our amazing candle lit dinner on our last night which was superb!!

We would recommend UTMT to anyone looking for a 5* luxury stay but with a far more personal experience than most! We also spotted on a previous review that Robert the owner has testicles the size of mangoes.. We can neither confirm nor deny this but he is a very nice man!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Totally worth these wonderful reviews. I spend 4 months a year touring every corner of the world in 5 star hotels with my job (that's a lot of good hotels and restaurants) and I can honestly say I haven't found nicer hosts, had friendlier staff or eaten better food or felt more at home in any of them. We came for one night and the next morning I cancelled two other hotel bookings so that we could stay here for 5 nights. We came on honeymoon and I was moved to tears by the effort the hosts and staff went to to make our stay special and unforgettable, this included a romantic private meal overlooking the sea on our last night. Festooned with candles in the trees and all around we had a special 4 course menu with lobster.

After being virtually robbed by all the other hotels we visited on our trip in Sri Lanka and being handed around for tips like a meal ticket because of our white skin it was wonderful to be around happy people who aren't money orientated and staff who not only don't continually have their hands out but are reluctant to take tips when offered.

I cannot stress how good the food is here. We had 4 courses for breakfast and for dinner every day and there wasn't a single dish that wasn't delicious. Not only is the food of Michelin star, world class quality - it is also easy to see that each menu and dish has been created with great artistry, skill and love. Not something I have ever experienced before or feel I am likely to again soon.

There are too many good things I have say about this place it would take me all day to write. If you have any sense you will come and see for yourself before they are selling out every night - which is no less than they deserve. We wish them every success and hope to come back again soon!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We've just returned to cold and wet London from 2 weeks in wonderful Sri Lanka, but the positive UTMT vibes are still with us and will hopefully last on for a while. It's rare that a hotel stay can be considered a highlight of a trip - and the competition in Sri Lanka for memorable moments is tough - but in the case of UTMT we make a very happy exception.

I should add here that I work for a large global hotel chain and I'm passionate about hotels but equally critical about details and service delivery. Reading the rave reviews about UTMT from previous guests made me somewhat sceptical and curious to challenge the overly positive perceptions. We've stayed at its lovely sister hotel in Vienna before (Hollmann's Beletage), but couldn't quite imagine how the boutique concept with an Austrian twist would translate into a Sri Lankan beach setting. Well, it does really well!

If I would have to summarise the UTMT experience with one word, it is passion. The owner and creator Robert's passion for good design, quality, humour, and the wellbeing of his guests can be felt everywhere. There's a really consistent story and visual identity throughout UTMT, and the level of detail with which it is executed is simply astounding. We found out that all the fabrics, woodworks and even the bathtubs and sinks are handmade in the hotel's in-house workshop by local artisans from locally sourced materials. Our room (No 7) was very spacious and well laid out, but the private plunge pool with sea view was the real stunner. Who needs a TV, if you can have an on-site screening room with a retro popcorn machine?

Thankfully the passion for quality is not limited to visual impressions but extends to all the senses. We had some of our best meals in Sri Lanka at UTMT and were looking forward to every meal. The half board package was amazing and included 4 courses for breakfast and dinner. Along with the complimentary afternoon tea and water available throughout the day this is very generous.

What really sets UTMT apart from the other hotels and guesthouses we have experienced in Sri Lanka is the genuine friendliness of its staff. Everyone smiles, greets you and seems to have a good time, while keeping your wellbeing at heart. Our charming waiter Tarange 'adopted' us as his guests on the first evening and became our friend for the rest of our stay. Just one month after opening, things were already running pretty flawlessly and the occasional glitches were handled with a lot of charm.

Above all, UTMT doesn't feel like a hotel or a resort, but more like a feelgood commune. Robert and Petra want their guests to have a great time and encourage them to speak with each other, which just happens effortlessly. With just 20 rooms it's easy to get to know your neighbours and the communal tables at dinner are great ice breakers, but only if you want to.

All this leaves me with the weirdly gratifying conclusion that here's really not much to challenge about my predecessor's reviews. Okay, the water pressure in the shower could be stronger and the bottle opener for the custom made toiletries is a bit gimmicky, but did that stop us from having a fantastic time? I only regret having not experienced the new club house/tea lounge and yoga hut (both still under construction).

UTMT is barefoot luxury at its best at one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline of Sri Lanka. We miss it already and hope to return very soon!

Room Tip: Private plunge pool is well worth it. Ask for a room at the Ocean House.
1  Thank travel-freak-79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dikwella
Anantara Peace Haven Tangalle Resort
#7 of 23 in Tangalle
Sooriya Resort & Spa
Sooriya Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Rekawa

Been to UTMT Underneath the Mango Tree? Share your experiences!