“Masindi Hotel”
Review of Masindi Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masindi
Masindi Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Masindi
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

One of the oldest hotels in Uganda. Hemingway and Bogart stayed here during the shooting of a film.

Aside from old the facilities are ok, but one can't expect much comfort given the old strict ion and the Maintanance, but it did fit our budget. There is no AC I'm the rooms but you have a fan.
Friendly staff and clean

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Yoskke

Reviewed April 2, 2014

It's a quaint old colonial hotel with some famous guests in the past. It is close to the entrance to the Murchison Falls park. The rooms are basic and clean. The biggest problem is that the hotel is situated right on the busy main road with buses and trucks going by all day and night. I was awaken several times by buses blowing the horn to notify the village of their arrival and departure. Not a place to stay if you want some sleep.

Room Tip: Unfortunately all rooms face the main road and will be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Steven Y
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Charming old hotel, visited by some famous people back in the days, which gives his reputation. Not bad for a transit night, but don't expect too much in terms of comfort. Near the road, so very noisy.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CristinaH414
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Once in Kampala, I thought I should have a stopover in Masindi on my way to Murchison falls, I visited Masindi Hotel one of the Oldest ancient hotels in Uganda which was built during the time of the Building of Uganda Railway.

This part of the country was termed as port masindi where more cotton was received to be packed on the wagons of the rail to be taken for export.
I read about this Hotel that was built in the 19th century and I did not want to miss a visit I set of my journey and found my way to this hotel, goodness, the environment is so amazing and the set up itself is so wonderful.

The historical pictures on the walls tell it all. they have very nice rooms and restaurant both serving African food too . I mostly proffered taking the various fruits they hard for my lunch.

They have all rooms from Executive suites to Budget friendly, I only had to spend a night just to taste out this famous hotel here.
Its 223 km from Kampala and 80 kilometers to Murchison falls National Park to Paraa Lodge.

This hotel is well positions and I could not get lost.

I feel to go back one day to stay here with this time my family

Thanks

Room Tip: Back Rooms are more Quieter
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AbabaUgandaSafaris
Reviewed March 1, 2014

It's easy to imagine Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart staying in this colonial-style hotel while they filmed The African Queen nearby. The four-poster bed, old fashioned bathroom, high ceilings, long veranda and the comfortable sitting rooms, bar and restaurants all hearken back to an earlier, slow-paced era.
For the room; the fan worked well and completely disguised any road noise. The bathroom had hot water with okay pressure. I could find only one electrical outlet, so charging electronics took patience. Wi-fi works in the reception area and a few rooms nearby. Overall, the hotel is basic, but pleasant and comfortable for our two-day work trip in the area.

Room Tip: Older rooms in the main building have old-fashioned charm. Two separate buildings might have differ...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank drsh99
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We appeared to be the only guests, and perhaps because of that, I had to ask them to turn the wi-fi back on after they turned the lights out at night! But, I loved staying here. We had room 1, and it had a wonderful faded glory to it. We fantasised that it might be the very room Hemingway recuperated in, and the time-capsule feel lent itself to that. I'd have to be honest and say the fridge and TV shared a plug (so you had to choose), and neither worked properly. But the fan did work, and the bathroom was very nice. The bed was a comfy four-poster. The gated parking was safe and within view of the room, and the evening meal was one of the best curries I have EVER had. A bit pricey but in this context it's almost part of the experience of feeling like you're treating yourself. There are other hotels in Masindi, but this one is the easiest to deal with because of the professional front desk (at one other, I had to wander around looking for the guard, for example).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I have visited the hotel with some friends the last month and it was okay. Staff was not very efficient I must say.... rooms are clean. Breakfast bit slow and not a lot of variety of good. Good location.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masindi
Kabalega Resort - Murchison Enrout
Sambiya River Lodge
Sambiya River Lodge
#1 of 1 in Murchison Falls National Park
Boomu Women's Group
Boomu Women's Group
#1 of 3 in Masindi

Been to Masindi Hotel? Share your experiences!