“A superb and varied safari experience”

Murchison Falls National Park
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Masindi
United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“A superb and varied safari experience”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have visited quite a number of East African National Parks and Murchison is definitely worth a visit for its variety of scenery and diversity of species.

It is a beautiful park which offers opportunities for viewing on foot, in a vehicle and by boat. The park is defined by the River Nile and particularly Murchison Falls - any visitor must go to the foot of the falls (via boat) and the top of the falls (by foot). This is where the huge river forces its way through a 7m gap in the rocks and has created an incredibly powerfall waterfall and deep sided gorge - absolutely stunning.

The park allows for superb up close and personal experiences with the wild life - including the huge numbers of hippos on the river, and giraffe, Ugandan cob, oribi etc on land. We were also very fortunate to see one lion at very close range, and a very young (possibly 2 day old) elephant and mother.

I would also highly recommend the chimp trekking although I gather that we were very lucky to see so many chimps - males, females and juveniles - again an incredibly memorable experience.

All in all - well worth visiting and provides a very contrasting experience to many other parks in this region.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Balitraveller53

• Czech first
  • Greek first
Marrakech, Morocco
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The world's most powerful water fall”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

From the start of the whole trip, I could not help getting nervous and all. The beauty and the spectacular falls however were something else. suddenly, I was not nervous any more, it is really a moment to behold specially when you hear so many remarks and wonderful comments about the falls. Hiking to the top of the falls, was an adventurous experience especially when the rains came in and made it even more fun.

My other three travel companions: Selene, Fernando and Jimmy made the experience even more enjoyable. While the major highlight of the day was re tracking the foot steps of Sir Samuel Baker (the famous explorer), visiting the falls was something else.

Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great introduction to UG and its wildlife”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

It was my boyfriend's first time in Uganda (and Africa for that matter) and I wanted us to experience going on a safari. Through recommendations from friends and internet research I booked a 3-day safari through Kabiza Wilderness Safari and got Bosco as our driver/guide. Kabiza is great safari company - very prompt in answering my queries, gave me a very fair price quote for a 3-day stay at Fort Murchison, took care of permits and tickets and has the best driver/guide around. I highly recommend booking through Kabiza; if you do, definitely request for Bosco as your driver as he's very knowledgeable about the park and Uganda and is a wonderful person in general.

The park itself is expansive - multiple game drivers are necessary to see everything. Bosco was so good at driving through the parks and we saw a lot of animals - it was ridiculous! Don't miss out on the view of the top of Murchison Falls - it's beautiful. Make sure you have DEET on you as there can be a swarm of tse tse flies at the entrance at the top. If you're in UG looking for a well-rounded safari I recommend going to MFNP.

Wisconsin
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Uganda is a great place to tour, now!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went to Murchison Falls primarily to fish for Nile Perch. I stayed at the Red Chilli Rest Camp (See posted review) on the south side of the river. I booked my tour with Let's Go Travel out of Nairobi, but the actual tour was conducted by a Uganda company, BCD Travel (http://www.bcdtravel.com/aw/home/Uganda/English/Home/~bleu/Who_We_Are/). I had a wonderful driver named Andrew who was industrious and very enthusiastic about Uganda tourism. He drove me from Kampala to Murchison Falls as well as taking me on a game drive in the park and a tour of Kampala. We had a few challenges during our tour, and Andrew handled them efficiently and professionally. Don't hesitate to request Andrew as your driver.

Uganda is a great place to tour. It reminds me a lot of Cambodia and Vietnam 5 years ago. Their tourism business is still recovering and growing. They are learning how to attract and retain visitors. Because of that, the costs are relatively low (compared to Kenya or Tanzania) and they are working hard to please. The service was good. They still have a ways to go, but they are working hard to please. I highly recommend a visit to Uganda if you are in East Africa.

Carlinville, Illinois
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Trip Through Murchison Falls Park”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

While traveling to Arua, we took the road through Murchison Falls Wildlife Park. It was a fantastic journey with lots of opportunities to view various types of primates, collobus, babboons, antelopes, cape buffalo, warthogs, hippos and crocs in the Nile and also elephants. We drove through pretty quickly because it was a business trip but still spent about 5 hrs. in the park walking to the Falls for pictures, crossing on the ferry at Paraa and taking time to see the animals around us. It was fabulous and because we were there on a very hot afternoon we didn't see lions or giraffes on the road we took. All around excellent adventure though!