Cannot understand why there are any bad reports about this hotel. We dont like concrete tower block hotels with stuffy corridors, but loved the thatched cottages scattered amongst palm trees, which each house a double room. Some have two doubles with a connecting door - ideal for a family. The rooms are clean, the mosquito nets very effective and the AC shouldnt be set too low or you will get too cold. Beds made every day and rooms cleaned. There were enough soaps, shampoos to last a week.
The hygiene standards were very high and none of us suffered any tummy bugs.
We all enjoyed the food (and our kids are very choosey) A different dinner menu each. night. It was nice having the option to eat al fresco, overlooking the ocean with the tropical moon sparkling on the water.The weekly barbeque was delightful . Every evening a different live entertainment rounded off the meal - local groups often with dancers or gymnasts.
The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, always greeting us with a smile and the inevitable "Jambo, how are you" . We thought many an English hotel could learn a lot about staff training from this hotel .
The pool was never crowded, and although the causway to the lagoon was a bit slippy (but quite manageable) in places, it was better than walking amonst the sea urchins. The swimming was safe, as long as the tide was out, and coral only presented a problem well away from the hotel. Wearing a mask, you can easily wend your way between the coral outcrops , a wonderful visual experience esp with so many tropical fish.
We enjoyed the sunset cruise to the mangrove swamps, in local out rigger fishing boat, but beware midge like biters when you put ashore for champagne and canapes. The snorkelling trip revealed even more spectcacular coral and tropical fish, but its not in the same league as the Red Sea coral reefs.
The dive centre offers a free SCUBA session in the pool. much enjoyed by our children .You can then go on a scuba dive out on the reef.
Ok the hotel gives you a lousy dollar exchange rate, but dont they all ? You can always get better rates on the high street. Remedy: have plenty of cash dollars.
To sum up, we had four heavenly days at the Karafuu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a deserted white sandy beach, at 65 km from Stone Town, lies Karafuu Beach Resort and Spa, an international five-star hotel, winner of the World Travel Awards as Tanzania Leading Resort and Africa Leading Beach Resort 2011 .It is one of the most luxurious hotels on the east coast of Zanzibar, where, even during low tide, it’s possible to enjoy a comfortable swim in the ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Evoline ltd, Hotwire and Priceline so you can book your Karafuu Beach Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Karafuu Beach Hotel Pingwe
- Karafuu Hotel Beach
- Karafuu Resort Beach
- Karafuu Beach Resort And Spa Zanzibar Island/Pingwe