“Karafuu is Paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pingwe
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Karafuu is Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I've been to a lot of resorts and this one might be my favorite. The food is terrific, the staff is super friendly, and the setting is pure paradise.

The only shortfall is the beach - it's got a big coral reef right close to short, so you can't jump right in the ocean from the shore. You have to walk out on the jetty - which is pretty fun anyway.

Oh and the Wifi/Cell connectivity is dismal. Don't bother...just turn it all off.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Corbett3000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Mzuzu, Malawi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I visited Zanzibar in 2004 and just had to go again. And I don't regret a thing. The resort this time ... at first I thought they advertise this as a 5-star ... I don't think so!!
But the rooms are very spacious, the verandah's with the day bed really an excellent place to just relax and read a book, have a sundowner and the variety of the food a pleasure. They have different theme evenings and also supply live entertainment. Never a dull moment there.
The all inclusive cocktails - alcoholic and non-alcoholic nothing to pull your nose up for as it is always delicious and refreshing (although after the first day I got a bit carried away with the 'sunsets'), but that was also okay. We only live once.
The spa is really an exquisite experience, the snorkelling and diving to 'die' for. Everybody is so friendly and willing to help. The hotel boutique is a must. They have a wide selection and the prices are very reasonable. I was amazed how much money I spent there and how many things I bought.
Just remember to take some plastic shoes or rock climbers that you can use in the water as there's a lot of sea urchins. Overall a place that I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank Stunningchick69
Trieste, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We spent 12 nights there this nowember - in general everything was o.k. (specially in first days), but when you spent so many days there, you notice, that the hotel is average. First I have to say, that I am not difficult guest: I don't expect too much and we travel a lot. The best thing for me is, that my husband is with me and the hotel is not so important, but here.... In Karafuu nothing is "REALLY EXCELLENT" and nothing is so "HORRIBLE": so you can spent one week or two there, but... It does not stay in your head as "special hotel"....

We had bad experience, because someone from the stuff stole my new iPhone and charger for it: we called the police, but no one take this situation serious... Manager of the hotel was trying (not enough, if you ask me) to be nice and promise, that we will stay in touch and solve this situation (the investigation still wasn't finish when we left the hotel), but after two months of waiting no one of the hotel even write us. Me and my husband forgot about the telephone (we bought a new one), but the hotel reaction was terrible: everyone thought that we are lying, the hotel didn't take our complain serious: after two months no one send us e-mail or called us, to say "I'm sorry, we couldn't find the telephone and we apologize."

I would definitily go to Zanzibar again, but I would choose different hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank delightful E
basingstoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful 2 weeks....
This was our honeymoon and the whole experience was wonderful, the cottage was clean, well kept and room service was excellent. I can only assume that Karafuu have taken on board all the comments over the past few years and acted on them to bring it up to the standard it is now. The grounds were clean and tidy, the food was well presented a good choice and well topped up. As for the staff every one of them was polite and smiling all the time. Well done to all of them. The beach was kept clean by hotel staff and as for the walkway this was not a problem if you had the sense to wear the correct footwear for the conditions! All in all the hotel deserves all its stars. A very big thank you to everyone for making this a pleasant and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank briandeb111111
belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in September 2010 for 5 days as part of a safari trip in Tanzania.Upon arrival we we greeted, shown to our rooms and a short tour of the hotel. The (bungalow) rooms are spacious, well kept, charming and have a wonderful garden terrace. The garden is well kept as is the private beach. Staff is friendly but restaurant staff is a bit too eager. Don't let your plate of food out of sight because faster than you can say "Hakuna Matata" they take your plate away. The problem of this hotel is management. We booked this hotel for a part for the activities (kayak - tennis etc.) Kayak couldn't be rented because they were leaking, tennis court shows more craters than the moon, table tennis table could need some botox not to show it's age. Same problem with the bar. Some drinks are included in the price. I asked for a virgin pina colada but they could not make one because there was no coconut. No coconut ? In Zanzibar ? If you are not careful you could get hit by one. Pineapple juice, not possible because - yes you've guessed it - no pineapple. This lasted for 5 days so we had to pay for other drinks. The buffet is average. The cooks are friendly and helpful but I would have like some more couleur locale. I'm not looking for spaghetti on my holiday, nor for fries. I know it's difficult to please all the guests in a resort but a good mix of local and foreign cuisine is not that difficult.The food in general lacks some flavors and I was surprised to see so little fish on the buffet. For our last evening we wanted to reserve a table in the à la carte restaurant. The day before we went to reception the make our reservation. They told us that we didn't need a reservation and could just walk up. The next evening we went to the restaurant to find ourself in front of a closed door, although we could see waiters inside. Back to the reception we were told that à la carte restaurant was only possible with reservation??? They made some arrangement and we had a meal in the restaurant where we had dry lobster for 60 $ a head.
The resort could be something great if management just made some effort.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mightygreek
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Great place. Very relaxing. Buffet food and all-inclusive alcohol was ok but not great. A la-carte was great.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pnguyen10
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was a really good experience to finish off a great safari holiday. The cottages were large and well equiped with big shower rooms and walk in dressing rooms as well as patios with chairs and daybeds. The food in the main restaurant was very good with a wide selection and exceptionally attentive, cheerful and helpful staff in all areas of the resort. It was possible to walk along the beach to the next (deserted) bay without too much hassle from the hawkers who on the whole were polite and willing to take no for an answer. The resort is quite a long way from Stonetown, but at least that gives you a chance to see some of the Zanzibar life and countryside on any trips back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank alegna_mahnrap
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pingwe
Melia Zanzibar
#1 of 169 in Zanzibar Island
5.0 of 5 stars 360 reviews
Uroa Bay Beach Resort
Bluebay Beach Resort and Spa

Been to Karafuu Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!