“Absolutely perfect!”

Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers
RSA
“Absolutely perfect!”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

My partner and I are in our early 20s. Club med La Pointe was originally not our first choice but in the end we decided to go anyway... WE NEVER LOOKED BACK. This was the best decision we could have made! Everything about La Pointe and the Club med brand impressed us from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.

The resort itself is beautiful with lovely gardens. The pool area is great although we did spend most of our time at the beach. La Pointe has one of the best beaches in Mauritius - long beach with no rocks at all. Plenty deck chairs along the beach too.
Also, Club med is situated in one of the best locations in mauritius - the weather is normally best here!

The attention to detail was amazing! Each night different themes were organised and the hotel/resturants were decorated accordingly.
Food and resturants were great! My partner and I were originally concerned that Club med was more suited for big groups rather than couples/honeymooners - this is not so - although there are many big tables there are also many 2 seaters suitable for just the two of you!

Great variety of sports to choose from, and once again the staff in charge of the different sporting activities were always so helpful and friendly!
The staff could not have been more friendly and accomodating. The entertainment at Club med is wonderful, which is the unique thing about the Club med brand.

Anybody in doubt as to where to go in Mauritius - choose Club med.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting as many Club med resorts around the world as possible!!

1 Thank PROclubmed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Cape Town
Reviewed October 22, 2009

I have to say, reading this back I sound like a complete old, difficult fart. But I am a mild mannered, understanding, 33 year old who just had my expectations for this place too high. I recognize that this is a 50/50 problem, with me not understanding what the whole Club Med experience was about and with Club Med making too many mistakes for a 4 trident resort at this price.

People are either Club Med-der's or not.

Before any negative, the positives.

Things that were sensational:
- Wind sailing & lessons
- Water skiing & tuition
- Parasailing (private company)

Things that were great:
- Rooms: Very pretty, clean, well lit and serviced once a day ( the suite was ).
- Food: Fairly wide variety of things to eat.
- Service: We had two staff who were very nice, remembered our names, and smiled every time they saw us. (more about the rest later)

Now for the parts that are probably my fault for not having understood what Club Med is like:
- If you’re English speaking, you will not be treated as personally as the French speaking people. It’s not so much about personalities, I'm pretty sure it is down to translation / culture issues. English is a very rough second language for most staff. I would be very polite with 'hello!' and "thank you thank you" to everyone, but an example was a dead-pan response from a lady, who when the very next French speaking people said hello, she transformed into a world of bubbles and joy, "Bonjour! Bonjour!". Many translation issues: A simple Vodka, soda and lime would always come out different. Once Sweet, once bitter, with lemons, with tonic, you name it. I finally thought, ok, I’ll order Vodka and lemonade to make it easy. Nope. I got vodka and actual Soda that time, (but no lime, obviously). Really odd. And you can be as pleasant and nice and engaging, and ’thank you’ yourself into next week, there will be no difference. On the second day I offered advice that one of the soda ‘pumps’ ran out of gas, and the soda was like water, flat, and I got a head nod. It wasn’t fixed for the entire time I was there. Went to another bar at the beach. Problem solved.
- Kids. I was told “it's a big place, they have their own place to play you’ll never hear / see one!”. Not true. I saw more kids, heard more screaming than any place I’ve ever been to. Be warned. And love kids. And screaming.
- Ambient Noise. There is a tremendous amount of noise that escapes the pool area, which is the local hotspot for the day. The dance music is very, very loud, and it carries through the resort fairly easily. If you choose not to be part of the Club Med nightly festivities, be warned, the 'boom boom boom' goes on till quite late.
- Almost all their ‘local’ alcohol brands made drinks taste awful, the vodka is not a name brand and tastes like the smell of window cleaner (to me); no point having all-inclusive window cleaner. We got a tip to ask for brand names (from friends who had been often), and even when I saw they had the vodka (smirnoff), and it was standing on the shelf, they said they did not have it. Very unnerving and makes the service dive.

Various small to big things went wrong on our holiday, here are a few:
- Breakfast was not served on last day of our stay - promised by card to be hung outside door - but not exercised in practice; when I called at 8am (booked time), I was told they would ‘look into it’.
- Spending extra on the suite has been a mixed bag; It did not feel like the room we had upgraded to was ready, apparently there is usually champagne flowers / fruit etc.. The room, however, was lovely.
- The Club Med hosted excursions: trip booked for the last day of our stay was booked 4 days in advance and was cancelled by the management the night before with no prior warning to make back up plan, or offering any solution. I had to press them hard for an alternative, which they eventually did. But seemed very ready to let me just walk away.
- Spa: Reflexology is not reflex, just a basic foot massage. It is certainly is not reflex, so you’re not going to have the same benefits. No consultation was done prior to treatment.
- Food was really a mixed bag, sometimes great, sometimes not. Breakfasts usually the most consistent. There were a few hygiene issues like flies, and a really, really dirty grill surface. The meal service was all over the place - You could ask where you could sit, and they would show you, and no one would attend to drinks or water until you flag them down, a difficult task since they always appeared to be busy doing something else. Other french-speaking tables I found, didn’t have this issue. This became less apparent at the very end of our stay there. Maybe you get used to it or they remember you faster.
- Internet: They should have made it clear to clients what they were in for before buying expensive access. Internet is terrible, in 24 hours worked only ad hoc for 4.
(UPDATE: I'm pleased to say they refunded the awful externally provided service)
- The reception service was also very hit and miss. Calling in to have laundry collected seemed to work, but calling to have the internet checked was just ignored.
- There were certain staff who had be 'conditioned' by past South Africans to say perhaps inappropriate things, that they thought every white South African wanted to hear, but I definitely did not.

So it's a lot of little things for me, which I admit are not exclusively Club Med's fault. But the Chief never introduced herself once the whole time we were there, which is strange for any guest, but I think especially for people in the Suites, who you want back as a hotel(Vegas calls big spenders whales). No whales at Club Med Canonniers then?

Overall I was left feeling poorly serviced and more than a little overcharged for the food/bev/service.

A quick word on the Airline booking. We were returning to Cape Town, and there was a direct flight that morning, but inexplicably Club Med put us on a via JHB trip, adding 4 hours to our travel time.

I will be back in beautiful Mauritius, but not, I think at Club Med.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank goingonholidaysoon
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 18, 2009

The resort has recently been redecorated and appears fresh and new. Rooms are spacious and reasonable in terms of amenities. Location of the hotel is great and the protected bay makes it easy to waterski, wind surf, snorkel or sail. Staff were friendly and committed to making sure guests are looked after. Food and drink of good quality and the Club Med concept works perfectly. Staff took the trouble to teach us to sail properly and are always willing to deal with young children needing help. We were kept busy with fun activities throughout and the kids went to bed each night absolutely exhausted after all the fun. Shows after mealtimes were great and we also liked the dance parties every evening. In the very relaxed atmosphere we also met other interesting guests and made some good friens during our time there. If anything can be faulted it is the cost of extras such as internet access which is ridiculously expensive. Also clothes in the Club Med store are severely overpriced - possible because of the captive market.
To sum up - stunning location, wonderful facilities, good food, great staff = fantastic holiday.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank PoolboyVietnam
South Africa
Reviewed April 23, 2009

For the whole 7 days we were treated like royalty! The staff is constantly making sure that the guests are happy and having a good time. The food is fantastic and variety is priority! Beautiful beach front, lovely swimming pool and bar area.

The northern part of Mauritius has got beautiful beaches and with Grand Bay so close to La Pointe Aux Cannonnier - this make it a perfect location for the hotel. Excellent day trips from Grand Bay - especially the one on a Catamaran to the Northern Islands! FANTASTIC!

The all inclusive packages they offer is of outstanding value! Definitely worth the money!

WE HAD A BLAST AND WILL SURELY RETURN TO LA POINTE AUX CANNONNIER IN THE FUTURE!

Ryno Cilliers

3 Thank Ryno C
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 20, 2009

What a fantastic Club Med!! I have previously stayed at Club Med Kani which was wonderful. My husband and I decided to take a short break (7 nights) without the kids, he was a bit doubtful about Club Med having never experienced it before.
Well he was pleasantly surprised, it was way more than what he expected.
Very well run, friendly resort with plenty of fun things to do or plenty of quiet places to relax and do nothing. We missed the kids terribly after realising how well organised the Kids Club is. All round I would highly reccomend this resort to anyone with or without kids. Will be returning next year with the kids.

London
Reviewed March 16, 2009

This is Club Med at its best with a very beautiful club. We had a spacious penthouse with a sea view. The Club is not too big which is good as we went with small children. The kids club had great activities and our children were very happy the whole stay, it helped to stay relax, spend quality time with my wife and enjoy a lot of watersports (sailing, windsurf and water ski). The food was excellent with a mix of Indian, Chinese and of course French food. All in all, if you look for a family holiday in a little paradise with sports you like, look no further.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wille3s
Cape Town
Reviewed January 25, 2009

An absolutely magic place to stay. My hubby and I and 9 year old daughter stayed here for 8 days and wish it was 15 days. What stunning service orientated and friendly staff! A must for families with children, they are kept so busy doing kayaking, sailing, snorkelling and so much more - and most of all - making friends! Mom and dad actually had some real good quality time together!
We found the room to be spacious and clean. Had a small issue with the shower blocking but it was sorted out pronto as soon as it was reported. Most TV was in French which was a bit of a pain if you don't speak French but not much time was spent in the room so it was not a major issue.
The resort is absolutely amazing and so much to do, or if it is your choice - do nothing! However we recommend that you take part in the water sports, such fun!
If you are looking for a tropical beach holiday and you have kids, look no further!

• Liked — Beach, swimmimg pool, entertainment and food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Schavefamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe aux Canonniers
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resor...
#2 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
Seapoint Boutique Hotel
#1 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa

Been to Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers? Share your experiences!