“Hard Work”

Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We arrived late on the evening of 25th January2014 . Our progress through the new Mauritius airport was swift and transport to Club Med was efficient. The lady from club med accompanied us to the resort asked one question and fell asleep for the rest of the hours journey.
We arrived at the resort at 10pm, We were dumped in the dining room and recieved no help as they were rapidly clearing tables. This clearing process we discovered takes place midway between most meal times and receives the attention of the staff over serving guests. It is most annoying to find our dirty dishes still on the table after returning from the buffet. We had to walk to a waiter every time we needed service! There are no buggys to pick you up so you can get a good soaking on the way to dinner. Why do the staff conveniently forget what you ask for? The pool area is disappointing . Lastly get rid of the cats the run the dining room!

Room Tip: Bel Ombré is quiet and very nice with a lovely beach area. Not practical though for children as too...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Philippa H
There are newer reviews for Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Imagine that you are falling into a magnicifent point in our world, surrounded with absolute beauty, joyful activities and loving happy people all over you, that after a few days it fullfils your soul with a new kind of blooming! I had my best vacation in those 9 nights i spent there. Their host style, is a kind of pure and rare good will. they will make anything to make sure you are happy.Specialy Shiv, who was a kind of SHIVA hepful and kind, Kendy who formulated a totale fashion collection for me at the boutiqe and was the most fun and delightful GO, and Liza who helpet in so many ways. The hotel is full of activities and fun. My room was deluxe and was amazing! the food is served arround the clock and is good. GO are fun that i couldn't stop laughting. I enjoyed so much that i forgot to rest...

Room Tip: Take the rooms with view to the sea. 3 floor. far from the center of the hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Ronit M
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Despite being placed at the far end of the hotel, we were never able to get anyone to collect us in a buggy. On the one occasion they said that they would, we waited 30 minutes and eventually just walked. When we asked what the cause of the delay was, they said that the maintenance car was going to pick us up and that he was still busy (even though they told us it would only take 5 minutes). They were very rude about the whole thing. They also said for future reference that they don't offer a golf cart service. Sorry for anyone with luggage or disabilities.

When at the bar, my husband asked for a packet of cigarettes. As are wallets were in the room at the opposite end of the hotel, my husband was told to go get money, even though we requested it to be charged to the room. The staff member reluctantly gave him cigarettes and rudely told him that he better not forget to bring him the money, or else!

The drinks at the bar were revolting. the service was poor. The filthy pancake stand was full of flies and paper plates dripping with who-know's-what.

Although it is a 4 star property, it costs nothing for staff to smile and be polite. They were all miserable looking and very unfriendly.

The check-in staff were not informative or at all helpful. Once in our room (about an hour after arrival), cleaning staff walked into our room unannounced and asked when we would be checking out, We explained that we had just checked in. They looked at us blankly, didn't apologies for letting themselves into our room, and the left, continuing their loud conversation from earlier. Lights and hairdryer did't work.

At 7am the next morning, the cleaning staff walked into my sister's room and asked what time she would be checking out. My sister and I went for breakfast around 09:30 (one couldn't have slept in anyway, on account of the furniture being moved around upstairs for over an hour). My husband called me back to the room at 09h45, saying that the cleaning staff, once again, had let themselves into the room unannounced and told him to get out the room, as they needed to clean. He asked if he could have some extra time to get packed and shower. They told him that he could have 15 minutes or they would call management.

My sister and I meanwhile had arrived at breakfast. The food looked as though it had been sitting for hours. When we asked whether we could have something fresh, they said that they were closing. Only later did they say that there was another restaurant that served a late breakfast. No one told us this upon entering the restaurant, or upon check-in.

My sister and I returned to our rooms at 10am. The staff were already in her room. She asked if she could have 5 minutes to use the bathroom, they said yes but refused to leave the room. When we left I told the cleaning 'supervisor' ,who was plonked on a chair watching the other lady clean, that she had better work on her guest relations and worry less about getting home from work early. She carried on scribbling on her blank notepad.

I phoned reception, to ask for help wot the bags, that never came. They said that we needed to come to the front desk to settle our account. When I arrived there, they made me wait 20 minutes, only to tell me that I needn't have come to the front desk, as all my accounts were settled. When I asked the gentleman with the spanish accent, why he had insisted I come to the front desk, he said that 'he had done no such thing'. When I lost my temper and said what a terrible stay we had had, he shrugged his shoulders and went back to what he had been doing before.

Crap food, piss-poor service and generally grotty surroundings. We have repeatedly stayed at the Club Med Albion in Mauritius, which although also not perfect, at least has lovely rooms and friendly staff. Please don't waste your money at Pointe aux Canonniers! Not worth the + $500 (at residential rate) we paid for 1 night in 2 standard rooms.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tiffany H
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I've always wanted to go there as I heard good things about the hotel. Reading the reviews here, I was surprised that some people have had bad experiences. So I decided to call today to ask for prices etc and someone quite rude was at the reservations desk! I called a first time and after a few minutes of no one picking up the call, it ended, so I called back. A guy with a strong accent was there to help me with the reservation. I had some trouble understanding his accent, so at some point, I said 'Sorry?' and he was just plain rude whilst repeating the same sentence very slowly, word by word even more loudly, like I was bugging him! I apologized saying that I had some trouble because of the accent. Not sure I'll call back for a reservation...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank zia30
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We visited the resort in January 2014. We found the service to be excellent, with friendly staff always willing to assist. We felt at home from the very moment of our arrival at the resort. The food and entertainment was superb with the accommodation being entirely to our satisfaction. The resort is well run by general manager Lionel. This is most certainly a resort that we will be returning to in the future.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wayne S
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Went there two yrs in a raw for Xmas and New Yr
Rooms deluxe : good
Views : great views of the sea
Food : restaurant on the beach very disappointing ;( not enough tables ....not enough food after 30mn of opening ;(
Beach : well I was not expecting to have to "reserve " my spot at 6 am plus new lounge chairs are impossible to move : they are so heavy it's ridiculous
Great GO at La Voile , especially Peter ! Took great care of us and was V professional !!!
Servers to Nash at the restaurant
As far as Le chef Du club : pretty in existent especially s a Gold Member of Club Med I was expecting more from him
On the contrary, his assistant Olivier was working V hard....and he was always making sure his customers were satisfied !
Overall a good experience ...twice in a raw

Room Tip: Great quiet location for deluxe rooms ....great beach ....
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sonia N
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Having spent one week holidays in dec. 2013, my first since i had my baby (16 months old), i can only say a warm thank you for making it happens. It was real holidays and the baby club plus all the facilities in this resort when you have a baby made this experience unforgettable. Attention to details, professional and friendly staff, baby food corner at the restaurant, 24h facilities with food, for preparing and sterilized bottles, plus all what you need in a room! I could really relax during the day whilst my daughter had great fun with all the team from the baby club. We came back with a lot pf memories, relaxed and are planning to go back. Its very clean, attention to details, friendly staff and with the impression that is not crowdy having a facility on a big surface. Thank you to lionel, the manager, and all the team.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe aux Canonniers
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Seapoint Boutique Hotel
Seapoint Boutique Hotel
#1 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resor...
#2 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
Merville Beach Hotel
Merville Beach Hotel
#4 of 28 in Grand Baie
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Veranda Grand Baie Hotel & Spa

Been to Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers? Share your experiences!