“Great family holiday”

Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers
Durban, South Africa
“Great family holiday”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

It was our 2nd visit to this club med , as always very enjoyable and the perfect place for kids, they can run around and make as much noise as they want .
If your kids are under 8 , they are limited with regard to doing activities ( no sailing , snorkling or water sking allowed)
Our family inter connecting room was great and always clean.
Food was ok.( kids loved the pizza )
The resort could do with a upgrade , specially the dinning room ,it is time !!!
The beach is great , lots of sand and good snorkling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed May 1, 2013

As our taxi drove up there were at least a dozen GO's and the Chef du Village waiting to welcome us with dancing and music and their very own speciality ice tea! This was my first time at Club Med La Pointe Aux Cannoniers, however it was not for a lot of my family, who have visited here numerous times and have quite a name for themselves! The GO's and Chef du Village awaited our arrival and had sorted al of our checkin details before arrival and even had someone waiting with a buggy to drive our bags to our rooms, all ready for us! The service was amazing! The whole club med had an amazing vibe with music regularly playing around the pool and then a hit of lunchtime crazy signs! The GO's were heaps of fun, just like always at club med, and the ambience was amazing. The beaches were perfectly manicured and there were heaps of activities on hand! you could never (and i mean never) be bored. If you're just someone who likes to sit on the beach and sunbathe, well you can do that and topless. (like many european women) Or if you're the type that never sits and is always doing something, you can wakeboard, waterski, kneeboard, mono ski, play volleyball, eat all you want, get all the drinks (OF ANY TYPE) for free, no matter when, no matter what, this is the place for you!!! Don't get mistaken, if you're the sort that likes no kids around, pure luxury and massages all day, well go to La Plantation D'albion, just up the road. But you can still get your fare share of relaxing right here! the night shows are great, slightly home made but what the heck! The dance floor lights up at about midnight and doesn't stop till about 4am. jump into the cosy beds with new sheets everyday and sleep it all off and ready for the next day! The only problem I had was that some of the more expensive rooms are a good 400 - 500 metre walk from the main bar area and paths are not very well lit for when returning early in the morning or late at night!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Thetravela
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed April 14, 2013

All in all, great stay, no regrets and very pleasant.

This was our second Club Med, the first one being Punta Cana. Compared to the first experience, this is a smaller club, very quiet that never seems crowded, even if fully booked. There is a certain lack of energy and buzz - difficult to explain - and it seems to me that the staff is less enthusiastic about making things happen and getting people to move. But apart from that everyone is very friendly.

This also reflects on the boutique, which has a good surface, but was half empty, not really being replenished during our two weeks in the club. I believe the chef du village has some work to do there.

Our rooms were of good quality (renovated) and very quiet with a sea view, no complaints. The food is generally good. I can recommend the restaurant by the sea: Go for a late breakfast by the beach and book a table in the evening (menu, no buffet), great setting.
The kids club is of good quality, but again I was missing the hum, excitement and energy I felt in the other club. As a consequence, the kids were less inclined to go to the mini club each day.
As to sports and leisure activities, a bit less going on than in Punta Cana, but still ok.

The beach is very nice, lots of beach chairs. However, the sand is a little coarse and the there are some pebbles. It is also a public beach, which means you get these roaming vendors wanting to sell you stuff every five minutes. Grrr!

Diving is great and I did a lot of dives. The staff is very helpful to get you on the boat and equipped, very cool and laid back. Once they realize you are serious about it, they will take you to places not on the dive site list, which is a special treat. They offer dive sites of a real tropical setting to more austere ones and have a few easy wreck dives in their portfolio. You can find every type of fish, but there is a curious absences of crabs and sharks. With luck you can see dolphins and turtles; I have seen both. My sincere thanks to Pierre and his team, I really enjoyed the experience.

1 Thank TravelRaider
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at the other club med at Albion but took a day trip to Cannonier, about an hour each way in a powerful speedboat. The beach , views and watersports, if that's what you are interested in , were far, far superior to Albion. The restauarnt looking out onto the beach was brilliantly positioned and the food was also very good, as at Albion.

One negative was the constant harrassment by local entrepreneurs trying to sell all manner of goods.

3 Thank Lawman246
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a fantastic family holiday at this resort. Our kids had a great time and had a lot of fun with the GO's and other kids in the resort. We could keep just as busy or find a quietish spot to read and relax! There was always a lot on offer. The main dining room is quite noisy and dark so the kids ate breakfast and lunch there earlier with their friends and my husband and I would have a later breakfast and lunch at the quieter restaurant right on the beach. Much nicer! We had a lovely sea-facing room however it was a fair walk from the hub (pool, bar, dining etc), so I would advise getting rooms closer. The beach is very nice and the waterskiing and wakeboarding was a huge hit, as well as sailing, kayaking, and all the pool games. The food was not as good as another resort I have experienced but still lots of variety and the option of the beach restaurant (although less choice) was great. The fact that all drinks, lunch etc is included is a definite win with families.

Room Tip: Try and get a room closer to the main reception, pool, beach etc as it is a large resort and if you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leanne A
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I'm writing this review after finding out that they just had a terrible storm. I can't give advice or predict weather. We had great weather in between 2 bad storms the one today being really serious.
We arrived on Feb.28th and stayed a week. It was school vacation for the French and it was wall to wall children. Since I had my 2 grandchildren with me it was perfect never once did I have to say "use your indoor voice". The kids camp was great and so were the adult activities. If you've been to a Club Med I must tell you this one is very circumspect 1 piece bathing suits on 99% of the women,RL Polo shirts for the men in the evening... Mon Dieu! 1 piece suits!... for me this was good because the days of itsy bitsy have passed me by.Seriously, this is a family Club Med there is another one on the island don't know a thing about it.If you are in for water sports don't book at the desk the boat concession is privately owned so it's cheaper to book directly. Have cash. All diving, fishing,tubing,dolphin swim in open water are NOT INCLUDED,Don't listen to the agents if you get on a boat for an activity it cost $..
The diving on this side he island is not spectacular I'd check with divers who have been to the East side.I loved the island and the people the boat concession people can help arrange a tour.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking ask for a room near the main building. All the people who do "beach...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank singertraveler57
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have travelled here 3 times this year already the end of January, middle of February and the beginning of March. All three times were great experiences. It is really a great all rounder resort, the first time I went with my father, the second time I went solo and the third time I went with both parents. It is a great resort because it offers a variety of activities which allowed me, when I went alone, to not feel alone. All the staff(GE's and GO's) were very friendly and accomodating, no matter from which department they came from; Vicky from Human resources was great; as well as Kendy from the boutique; Eric, Olivia and Patrice from reception; Rakesh, Jonothan and Pochahontas from the bar, David and Sanjev from the kitchen; Christophe from the mini-club; Riaz and Larissa from sport; and Stan who is most likely the most entertaining individual you will ever meet. In general the rooms are clean, the food is great and there is a great variety. The shows are entertaining and individual and the beach parties are loads of fun. The Disco is great fun, just wait for Nicolas Betsy to DJ. This resort has a great atmosphere for all ages and there is always something fun happening (dances, shows, pool games etc.). I have been to this resort a total of 6 times and I have never been dissapointed... I do not speak French but I did not find this a problem, and the staff were more than accomodating and though their English may not be fluent, they try hard and I respect that. All in all a great as usual. Thanks to the Club Med team.

Room Tip: The rooms are great but I found rooms that are in Beau Sejour and Baie Du Cap were great because the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank RoxieS-93
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe aux Canonniers
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resor...
#2 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
Seapoint Boutique Hotel
#1 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa

Been to Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers? Share your experiences!