“Fantastic resort and service”

Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Fantastic resort and service”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed as a group of seven (males and females, all 30-something adults) from the UK at Club Med in mid December for 10 nights.

From the point we arrived at the hotel to the depressing time we had to leave, we could not fault any aspect of the resort and the service provided.

There is an excellent balance of activities for guests to get involved in should they wish to without you ever feeling obliged or under any pressure to do so. I have stayed at other resorts where the staff can be a little pushy in trying to get guests to join in the activities which can be annoying but we did not experience this at all at Club Med. The resort is a bit more lively in the evenings than some of the quieter resorts we saw around the island but this was ideal for us.

The staff and service were also top notch and despite speaking minimal French between us, we did not find this a problem at all. All staff we encountered spoke excellent English and were always more than happy to help. This includes the bar staff and waiter staff, the cleaners, the receptionists right up to Karim, the Chef de Village.

The accommodation was great and although we only booked the Club Rooms, we still had breathtaking views of the beach and sunset from our terrace. The safe, iron and ironing board in the rooms were also useful rather than the usual rigmarole at some resorts of having sort these out with reception should they be required. The rooms were cleaned daily with towels changed as required.

Finally, a quick note on the food which was top drawer. A huge selection at each meal and even though one of our party was a vegan and another a vegetarian, no one ever left the dining room feeling anything but completely stuffed and satisfied.

All in all, an excellent resort that I would highly recommend to anyone travelling to Mauritius in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Billy14_79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Incredible hotel, beautiful rooms, stunning scenery, wonderful vibe, amazing service, the most delicious variety of foods, fabulous entertainment, loads of water and land sports. We were treated like royalty by the friendly, helpful staff. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Louis-john T
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Club Med knows exactly what service is and values their clients that stay with them. Every need is attended to promptly with a smile and a friendly nature. If for whatever reason you are you are unsatisfied they do their best to make sure that they make it up to you.

They thoroughly entertain you and keep you busy morning to night, there is honestly never a dull moment! But also plenty of time to relax! They are convient and offer many excursions and travel so one can explore Mauritius aswell. The music and dancing goes on till late in the night and all the staff stay happy and joyful, but if your not one for staying up the rooms are peaceful and you can get a fantastic nights rest.

Their entertainment goes as far out as teen clubs, kids clubs and so forth. I was part of the teens club led by Silver, he was an exceptional guy making sure you enjoy every moment of not only your stay but of life! He was always encouraging the group to go out and do things that wouldn't usually be done. An employee club med is privileged to have. He defenitly goes out of his way to make every one feel welcome and included with his crazy ideas and Mission Impossibles.

Their facilities are fantastic with a beautiful spa, library, gym and tennis courts. Everything works and is in its place. As for the food and restruants, defenitly top class offering variety, quantity and most defenitly quality! They do their best to cater for everyone's individual needs.

The activities such as snorkeling, diving, water skiing, tubing are all offered and safe as can be, activities provided by the club are covered by insurance, special thanks to Trishi, Riaz and Sebastian who always kept you smiling and made snorkeling more than just some activity. They have a wonderful infermerie on sight and access to ambulances 24/7. During the stay my mom got some flu, she went to the infermerie and within half and hour medication was waiting for her at reception.

I have only good things to say about the resort, the chief of the village-Karim-runs the resort smoothly and does a fantastic job with passion and enthusiasim. He does his best to encourage the staff and be just as involved as they are making you feel right at home. Just like every other staff member there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank -african-rain-dance-
Kempton Park, South Africa
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Club Med does not know what service is. The only two people in the resort that I can comment on with good service was our cleaner in the room and a guy from maintenance. The dining room was usually full by the time we went for dinner and tables was sitting there with dirty plates, glasses and tablecloths - NO cleaning promptly for new guests that came for dinner after others already left. My husband actually shouted at some of the waiters one evening as they just stood there while we couldn't find an empty clean table. Baby seats were not cleaned after using them and we ended up putting our little girl on a normal chair on more than one occasion.

Secondly - English is not high on the priority list for everybody at Club Med. I know that French are one of their official languages in Mauritius, but English speaking guests are treated like second grade guests. In the laundry there are not even English on the information boards - ALL in French. All activities was in French, all GO's speaks French and their English is not fully understandable. I was transferred twice when I phoned reception from my room to somebody that can understand and help me in English - how can you have receptionists that does not understand English? I would just like to know - does French speaking guests pay more? Information or whatever was written in French on tables in the dining room - we didn't know what it was and whether the tables were reserved or what - that was the same night we couldn't find clean, open seats in the dining room. The Australian met co-guests also complained about the fact that they do not get addressed in English and that they also feel like second grade guests.

Thirdly we all got sick. Sick as in vomiting and diaree - sorry to be so direct, but this is it. I spoke to all the other South-African couples there, and at least one of the couple also got sick. I had numerous conversation with Australian guests that were also sick. When I visited the doctor (which could not understand a word of English) I saw on the page the nurse wrote my details, that there was about 6 or more patients before me on the list with the same diagnosis. It was so bad that I needed to call the local clinic doctor to treat my baby at 12 at night. I requested a late check-out for the day of our departure (Sunday) which I was denied after I told the lady at reception that my child was sick since Thursday (the day the doctor needed to come out for her) - she was NOT understanding nor friendly or helpful - plain VERY rude. My child was so sick that she vomited on the transfer bus to the airport. I took her so see a doctor in Pretoria on Monday and she was admitted in hospital on the Tuesday after we returned home - this is to explain how sick she was and we needed to be out of our room by 10 and wait for our transfer by 13:00 somewhere in the resort. My husband and I was also very sick - we also visited the doctor on Monday and was given antibiotics. After I complained about the fact that we needed to be out of our room, the guy from maintenance arranged for us that we can stay in our room until 12:00 on the day of departure. He would be an excellent GO - he can even speak English!!

Then, when we were so sick we phoned the travel agent - at Pentravel East Rand Mall - to come home early and she said that we needed to go to the transport desk at the hotel to be assisted - well the guy at the transport desk said that he could not help us as it is Saturday and all offices of SAA are closed. So, we needed to stay. NO help from Club Med at all. Nicola from the travel agency also said that due to the fact that it is Saturday, she could also not get Club Med in South Africa to help us. Club Med was then also supposed to help us regarding costs involved for the change of travel details with the Club med Travel insurance.

In the laundry one of the washing machines was not working. No note to say out of order, no fixing and no taking the machine out of the laundry. Only leaving it there so that one can put your dirty clothes in the machine, with detergent and only then finding out it is not working.

Please note on the photos how disgustingly dirty the baby bottle sterilizer and the base of the dry rack is - need I say more than what the photos already do????? This is in the baby room, so now I ask, is this not why my baby got so sick? If the things we can see is so dirty, how dirty is the things we cannot see????

Lastly, the fact that my shower did not drain at all. After one of us had a shower, the other one needed to wait for at least an hour before he/she could shower. I have reported it to housekeeping first on Monday and then on Tuesday evening to reception, then on Wednesday night at reception and then on Thursday night to reception. The people at reception on Tuesday and Wednesday evening only jot it down on a piece of paper, it was only reported on the system on Thursday evening. The guy at maintenance said that the room needed to be booked for maintenance after we have moved out, but as per the people from reception, we needed to be out by 10 on Sunday for the new people that needed to come in. (Into a room of which is shower was not draining - as per the attached photos). There was no other offers to make it better for us, only maintenance that needed to fix the shower, but the problem was bigger than just a quick fix. Just to mention, my baby also needed to be bathed, so there was even more 'waiting time' for the shower!!!!

I don't know whether the above sounds like a four star resort to you? NOT AT ALL!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Sarette S
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed November 17, 2012

There are only positives about this hotel! We were 2 adults and 2 kids and there was something for everyone. Food was spectacular! Drinks! Entertainment etc. We are going back next year. The kids loved the kids club. We snorkeled right by the hotel. Grand bake is nice for a morning shopping! Everyone is so friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nadine C
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife is a club med vet, this was my first time. She tried to tell me about the exceptional service, the attention from the G.O's and the food, but her wonderful descriptions fell short of my excellent experience.
This Club Med is on the north point of the island which has the best weather. It sits on a long stretch of white sand beach. It has marvelous views of the very attractive mountain range of Mauritius.
A wide range of food, salads and deserts were all exceptional.
The room had an ocean view, a hundred meters from the beach.
My wife had an unfortunate fall and needed an overnight in the Port Louis hospital. We had made the correct decision to buy Club Med's travel insurance package and we paid nothing for ex-rays and a cat scan. The hospital was right on the beach and they treated us like royalty. When we got back to the club, the follow-up was warm and genuinely heart-fealt.
One more thing, the bar makes a darn good Bloody Mary, I had about ten a day.
GO!

• Stayed November 2012
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Lovely resort. Almost and hours drive from the airport but well worth it. Well situated and right on the breathtaking beach. Definitely a child friendly hotel. Have every sport/water sports available that you can think of. Staff are very helpful and very friendly. Very popular amongst the French speaking people.

Room Tip: If you're travelling without children, make sure you're on the far side of the hotel and awa...