“Lovely holiday!”

Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Lovely holiday!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We visited the resort in July 2012 with our 10 month old son. The resort is really geared up for families, and it was a pleasure to have all the baby food and paraphenalia available without without having to ask!

We stayed in a deluxe sea-facing room and these are situated in the far end of the resort away from the main beach. It was really quiet and the room was a good size with a decent size lounge area and patio. The bathroom had a large shower (with a baby bath) and double basins. There was also more than enough cupboard space. A travel cot was provided for the baby.

We paid for the use of the baby club for the whole week and used it twice while we were there, prefering to spend time with our son, but nice to know that the facility was available when we wanted to do some adult activities. The staff - at the baby club and in fact all over the resort - were really friendly to our baby and he loved being greeted personally. The facilities for children were lovely. A large children's pool area, playground that was beautifully designed and the beach was also ideal for him to swim in. The water was very calm and no big waves.

We had a super time and would really recommend this for a family holiday.

1 Thank Donna E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I am a 21 year old student from cape town who travelled to club med with my family during July. It was honestly the best holiday I have ever had and I have had many! The staff at club med make your stay that much more enjoyable with their friendly attitude towards everything they do. The food was amazing and the variety was endless ! The partying and socialising with fellow guests from around the world was one of the highlights of my trip! Words almost can't describe the type of experience one has at club med and I am still on a happy high from our trip, very sad that it is over. It is truly worth every cent and we will definitely be visiting again next year. I recommend this holiday to anyone wanting a spectacular time away. Congratulations to all the club med staff for their endless enthusiasm! Till next year

1 Thank Smickerd
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We travelled as family group (7 adults and 6 kids ages 8 and under) for 7 nights. The whole family stayed for 7 nights from 2nd July 2012 and we stayed an additional 5 nights. Having 3 young boys, we chose to upgrade our room to a deluxe sea view interconnecting room. These were huge and close to the beach but a bit far from the main hotel buildings and far for little legs to walk. However, the baby club pram was put to good use!! The beach by our room in the Solitude block was perfect for the kids as it was sheltered from most of the wind and my boys could literally step off the verandah on to the beach. The weather was quite temperamental but then it is winter and you could experience all four seasons in one day. I think I would like to go back when it is a bit warmer around April. The rest of our family had club rooms and while they would have been a bit small for our family they were quite happy with them. Service at the hotel was always outstanding and staff were always happy to help. I found the local staff to be more willing at times. Food and drink was plentiful and perhaps a greater selection for kids would have been nice rather then the pizza, chicken nuggets, pasta, burgers and chips on offer at every lunch and dinner. The seafood eaters in our party loved the food on offer. However the beef and chicken dishes were average and my husband commented that he would have liked more authentic Mauritian curries like we had 14 years previously. We did not use the baby club, wanting to spend the time with our kids. Baby sitting was easily available though. The hotel charges an exorbitant amount for wireless internet (390MUR for 1 hour) so try and get a Telstra (?) prepaid service if you need to stay connected. Taxis cost 500MUR to Grand Baie and 1700MUR to Port Louis. You can catch a bus which stops less then a 100 metres down the road for a couple of rupees to Grand Baie and about 100 rupees for a family on the express bus to Port Louis. The exchange rates at the hotel were also quite bad: we received 3,54MUR for our Rands in Grand Baie when the hotel was offering 2,90MUR. The beach had something for everyone, you could choose a quieter spot to relax on or by the busier beach club house. We used the kayak, some members of our family went waterskiing and with the kids being so small no one went sailing. The glass bottom boat was a bit disappointing as there wasn't much to see but a good experience for the little kids. I would try and take a catamaran trip out to one of the islands to do some snorkelling. We went with private (Charles from the beach) tour operator to see the dolphins and that was an amazing experience and far cheaper then what the hotel offered and it was just our family. Certainly a great family holiday and I would definitely go back!!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the Solitude block are a bit far away from the main hotel but are right on the most pea...
4 Thank Shaylene_ZA
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I booked this holiday for my husbands’ birthday, and as we were travelling with our babies I choose this resort as it catered for babies. I would never recommend it to anyone travelling with young babies’; the Baby Club unlike the other children clubs provided poor service, the manager was rude and would not discuss the issues presented to her. Even though we had paid for the Club service upfront we decided to take the babies’ out.
Otherwise the resort was amazing, the locals were great and very attentive at every need but a let down by the Baby Club facilities and those whom managed it.
If you have babies I would think twice about using this Baby Club facility as you may be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sandeep b
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have visited this Club Med resort many times before ( every single time a fantastic time ), and I have visited it twice all on my own...this recent time being a time on my own. I met a married GO couple, Fawn and Rigghetto Rinalduzzi on my recent trip in May, and all I can say about them is that I met the best friends that I have had the privilege to have made in many years... Club Med as a Worldwide company should be very proud to call this couple a part of their team. They are warm and hospitable and all that aside, beyond professional at their particular job description within the club. Not a day will go by when i won't miss them and appreciate them for the effort that they made in making my time in Mauritius all that it was - I had run away from all the harshness that life can at times throw at one. Although Fawn and Rigghetto stand out in my mind, it has to be said that each and every one of the staff at this club are FANTASTIC and deserve to be applauded on their work ethic and the memories that they contribute to making in many people's lives. Club Med La Pointe aux Cannoniers, Mauritius, is a vacation not to be missed by anyone....EVER!!!! As your old advertisements used to say : "A Club Med Vacation is the antidote to civilization"......the formula can never fail. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Traci T
Johannesburg
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed at the resort for 7 nights during the April school holidays and enjoyed this well maintained family resort. The quality of the food and service around the restaurants and bar areas made the stay so much more enjoyable. Unfortunately if you are not French speaking you do feel a bit out of touch with what is happening as most of the communication is in French with some English explanation as an after thought. Great sport facilities and both our kids enjoyed the Archery with a superb GO and by far the best on the resort. The entire family could also enjoy the water ski facility with French speaking guests getting preference which resulted in a constant battle to get your name on the board to ski.
In general the staff were very friendly, good food, well maintained resort and the great quality time with the family. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The family rooms with interleading doors are central and close to most ammenities
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Anton B
Cape Town
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have been to Mauritius on three occasions, but no experience will ever match that of Club Med La Pointe aux Cnnonniers. From the moment we arrived, our family was given the royal treatment. The staff are exceptionally polite, warm and extremely welcoming. The Club Med Village is certainly true to its name as we were all treated as family. I have never experienced staff who truly go far and above the call of duty to ensure that your stay is enjoyable and that you are comfortable at all times. Our rooms were always neat and I would like to thank Veneesha for her beautiful towel designs, which proved to be a delight with my children. Thank you so much to Grant for effortlessly teaching my husband and I to sail. You were fantastic, warm and had a wonderful sense of humour. A big thank you to Kyle for spoiling the kids with the adventurous trips on the hoby cat, an experience they will never forget, you are their hero!!! Also, a big thank you to Sebastion and his team at the Mini-Club for making our children feel welcome from the moment they arrived. Thanks so much for all the efforts in choreographing a dance production which included each and every child, what an amazing feat. La Pointe should definitely be on the top of every family's list for a vacation of a lifetime. The food was so varied, professionally presented and delectable, the entertainment provided every evening was such an enjoyable experience and we looked forward to the new show with each passing day. A huge thank you goes to Karim dos Santos, the chief of the village...Your beautiful spirit and warmth encompasses the atmosphere of Club Med. Always friendly, helpful and accommodating. Congratulations to you, Karim, and your amazing, dedicated staff on delivering 5 Star Service in every way possible!!! We look forward to seeing you all again next year..Hugs and best wishes, Odette, Geoffrey, Tristan and Paige

Room Tip: Since the resort is so large, anyone with little children should opt for the rooms closest to the sw...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Forrester007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe aux Canonniers
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resor...
#2 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
Merville Beach Hotel
#4 of 28 in Grand Baie
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa

Been to Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers? Share your experiences!