“Maybe better next time...”

Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Salonika
“Maybe better next time...”
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We chose this hotel for our 1week honeymoon. I 'm not sure exactly what was the problem, but the hotel didn't came up to my expectations. Probably we excpected something better judging from the money that we paid for the trip and receiving a standard room sea view (sea about 50m away!!), right next to the reception!
Have to admit that the staff was more than kind and polite, friendly and helpful and if I asked for a better room maybe I could have it ,but I didn't try it. When I came back I checked the rates in the hotel's site and found out that with the money we gave we could have the honeymoon suite, but maybe that depends on the travel agent and I'm sure a great deal goes there...
Anyway,weather was fine, sea and pool both very cold but after long sunbathing you can suffer it!
Food was just perfect each day in buffet restaurant and ate every time more than enough of all tastes, desserts and fruits...We didn't have the chance to eat at Navigator. Didn't expect that we had to pay even for the water in the restaurant. We had FB but all drinks were no included...In the end we had to pay a bill that we would surely avoid in all inclusive.
Tip: Take a taxi to do your souvenir shopping at Port Louis or anywhere you like. Nasser (the one that was mentioned in another review also) was very kind, helpful and took us wherever we wanted to.

• Liked — Friendly staff, food, pool area
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fofi_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed May 20, 2008

It's 4 stars (according to european standards), family orientated resort, nothing more, nothing less, except the bed. The bed is 1 star.

I've spent two weeks in Le Cannonier hotel this April, with my wife and three years old daughter.

It was our first stay in Mauritius and it was fine. The island is beautiful and Le Cannonier is very good resort.

RESORT AREA - simply beautiful
ROOMS - could be better in 4* hotel but still acceptable,awful bed
STAFF - very friendly
FOOD - good buffet in main restaurant., very good food a la carte in Le Navigator
POOL - could be larger but my daughter loved it
BEACH - 3 nice beaches around the hotel, one was very windy all the time so we used only two of them, conditions for swimming are better in Mont Choisy (only 5-10 minutes by walk)
ALL IN 1 - I think it's useful esp. if you like wine
TRIPS - I recommend to visit La Casela Park (interactions with lions), Black River National Park and local markets in Port Louis (exotic atmosphere) ; note : if you will bargain (you have to do it at local markets here) fair prices are around 1/3 of the first offer not 1/2 like in the most countries I've been...
I do not recommend/ or be prepared that hotel's snorkeling trip to near coral reef is very very short (I was told it's 1hour trip but in reality we had some + - 10 minutes for snorkeling!).... it's free of charge if you have All in 1anyway so my frustration wasn't so big
OTHER - very expensive hotel's internet

• Liked — coast
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank kh9
London
Reviewed March 21, 2008

Went all inclusive for a week at Le Cannonier. Booked really early so got a great rate. It's probably as well going all inclusive given the rates for incremental food and drink on half board. The hotel is nicely situated just outside of Grand Baie with a few small beaches. The ocean swimming is good but you do need shoes to avoid the coral and rock. Good hotel swimming pool and water sports facilities.No gym in the hotel but you can use the excellent hotel gym at Le Mauricia. but beware the £10 taxi charge that certainly mounts up over a week

The hotel professes to be five star. Its not. 3and half to four star at best. The room was OK (superior garden view) but don't believe reviews such as Lonely Planet. They are not that good. There are two restaurants to choose from - one buffet style the other fixed menu or al a carte. Ate twice at the buffet and it was poor. The other restaurant (Navigator) was fine. The staff are excellent but checking out was a real challenge - took about ten minutes just to pay a laundry bill.

All in all a good stay given the rate but I would not have wanted to pay any more.

• Stayed March 2008
1 Thank LondonJohnc
Sweden
Reviewed March 6, 2008

The hotel was perfect. It was better than we could ever have imagined.
Beautiful rooms, good food, extremely friendly staff and a nice beach!
We loved our two weeks at the Le Cannonier. I would recommend the all inclusive. It's so nice when you don't have to open your purse for the whole stay.
I warmly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 15, 2008

We spent 16 days (12/26/07 -1/10/08) in this place and came back very happy. Everything was so nice, there were no 'All-inclusive-I drink-always'-people. The service has been excellent. The New Years eve was great, sitting at the beach watchng the fireworks.
Even the food in both restaurants was good, maybe in 'The Navigator' a little bit better...
Most of the guests were french, italian, british, a few germans and a few americans: nice mix.
The family-room was huge, clean and with a gorgious view.

• Liked — The service!
  • Disliked — only one sort of cheese ;-)
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Wuppi
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Okay, so we read all the various reports about beach vendors and broken coral on the beach..................so what? Thought we, and booked fully inclusive to get married in Mauritius at Le Cannonier.

I'm 49 and my lovely wife is 43, at our age the thought of a full blown English Wedding just filled us with horror, so "let's get away from that and go somewhere tropical". Package deals don't happen from blighty so we booked with Paramount Travel in Leeds who bolted our Emirates flights together with Le Cannonier. We flew out mid September 2007 getting married on the 27th and flew back 2nd week of October.

First impressions.
Arrived in Mauritius and were greeted by a rep from Mautourco at the airport who provided us with a welcome pack of info on the various attractions on the island (cunning marketing ploy?) and guided us to our waiting mini bus to the hotel. After leaving we were quickly out in the lush countryside heading up the 'Motorway' amid the hooting of overtaking locals, seems to be the norm that people hoot when overtaking. All architecture is somewhat 'rustic' but enhances the quaint feel of the island.

The hotel.
As we drove through the security guarded gates and came to the front of the hotel, we were greeted by a beautiful frontage which, photos we've seen, don't do justice to.
We were greeted at reception by Deepak who was our wedding organiser. A refreshing cocktail and we were taken to our rooms. We had been placed in a semi detached chalet style superior sea facing room with my wife's teenagers (19 & 16) being in the adjacent room.
The room itself was of a high standard with 'towel animals' and exotic flowers on our bed, this remained so every day running through a varied menagerie throughout our stay.
The mini bar, as previously mentioned had a couple of beers and Colas (readily changed to diet at our request) some snacks and kitkats as well as milk. Not fresh milk as, one of our taxi drivers told us, there are no cows on the island so everything dairy is imported! Plenty of tea and coffee supplied.

Food.
Yep, okay I'd have to agree on the buffet, even though the chefs tried different themes daily, became a little 'samey' after 2 weeks. The cuisine would have to be described as a little 'Francais' for my tastes but palatable nonetheless albeit I queried the meat siding on the 'gently pink' side, the teenies however, thrived on the Pizza bar. Breakfast was, for me the biggest let down, I opted for the equivalent of English full cooked for a couple of days but, in the end went more for the croissants and coffee option.
All was however well cooked and presented. You are shown to a table and drinks are ordered and delivered while you assault the buffet as many times as possible!!!! Just, if you're English or used to English style cuisine, you may not find it all to your liking.
Le Navigator - well, the food here was just lovely , and it's completely waiter/ess service. Sitting on the terrace sipping wine to the sound of the sea? Divine and very romantic.
In the bar you can have snacks for lunch and pancakes in the afternoon. I was a little concerned when I experienced a little bit of a 'Jelly belly' and couldn't explain it, My wife being a nurse she identified it as a water problem. Although the water is deemed 'fit' we even brushed our teeth in bottled water from the mini bar. Water? Then it dawned on us, drinks in the bar were filled with .....ice. It wasn't a dreadful bug, just made us feel a little queasy, stopped taking ice in our drinks.....gone in a flash. May just be our stomachs not used to it, a taxi driver had warned us and at least we remembered....eventually.

The hotel staff.
Don't believe everything some people have written, we found them to be courteous and very friendly, okay it's their job but, we as tourists, are their livelihood and some of us are certainly not perfect. The clientelle are mainly French but, we made friends with Germans, French and South African couples who were all very nice. I could imagine some nationalities were enough to try the patience of a saint but the staff managed magnificently. only thing I found a little dubious was, as our stay was nearing the end, I could have sworn a couple staff members became extra friendly in the hope of a farewell tip?! But, no they were all friendly and welcoming. A particular thanks to Salesh at the bar who kept me supplied with Rum and cola pre-empting my wave every time!!

Entertainment.
The band (they never learnt Phil Collins' In the air tonight - I was determined to see if the drummer could really drum) were relaxing and low key and the dancing displays were very good.
We tried Tennis, Snorkling, Kayaking, pedalos, table tennis then, shortly after the wedding the Teens flew home leaving we newly weds to less strenuous forms of exercise such as drinking and excursions. All staff involved were once more very professional and friendly.

The wedding.
Go on, just do it, you know you want to. You won't be disappointed, we had a fantastic day. Only one wedding a day means you don't feel 'sausage machined' even though you may see a wedding every day. My wife looked absolutely gorgeous as always, just more so in her gown. We hired the 3 piece band which was well worth the money and the photos were excellent showing the hotel and superb weather to best effect.
We were treated like royalty by Deepak who left nothing to chance and we really do extend our thanks to him for making our day so special. Oh, and don't be tempted to shortcut across the gardens at night on your way back from Le Navigator. My wife and I suddenly found ourselves dodging wildly through the lawn sprinklers when they suddenly came on drenching us in our finery! Laugh? We nearly died laughing!! Our wedding gifts - a tshirt each, slight problem, both small I could have done with at least XXL so, Deepak, if you're reading this send me a huge TShirt please!!!

Beaches.
I must admit, to a degree the beaches at the hotel were a little of a let down, the coral is ever present in the sand so everybody's advice on beach shoes? Take it. People lay on loungers not the sand. I think that due to it being a Penninsula, the beach size is governed by the fall of the land sharply to the water, the sand hanging on for grim death to the rocks. Never the less - lying on the lounger watching the most beautiful sunsets sipping a drink and holding hands? Sheer paradise. By far the best beach we saw was at Ile Aux Cerfs - it was also the most crowded for precisely that reason. Beach vendors?? Absolutely everywhere on every beach almost. Not aggressive, very friendly and, well, just trying to make a living. You get to know their patrol times as they seem to operate a semi shift system.

Excursions - Believe it, get a taxi for the day it's got to be cheaper, more private and informative than a bus tour. I'm not going to tell you where to go as your driver will sort an itinery to your wishes. If, like us, you get in touch with Nasser Alladuth and use him to transport you, he'll sort your lunch for you. He took us to a wonderful local Restaurant near Chamarel the Domaine du Cachet which served us what we thought was a light lunch descibed as 2 Prawns. We didn't realise they were the size of 2 small whales!! And creole cooking - get out there and try it.....fantastic!
Interacting with lions for half an hour? Wouldn't have believed it if we hadn't done it - our only protection being a small stick!!
Definate must, buy a model ship, they are stunning and good value considering the hours that are spent on making them. I insisted on HMS Victory as, no matter how they all go on about the Saint Gerard, I'm English and only the Victory would do!! Emirates also let you take it specially packed as part of your hand baggage.

All too soon we had to go. The only drawback for us Brits is our departure times with Emirates flights leaving at night, fully inclusive ended at noon leaving us to a degree feeling a little stranded. So be warned, order snacks and drinks to bide you through the saddest afternoon you will spend at Le Cannonier as you enviously stare at the lucky newcomers with their holiday in front of them!! On arrival back at the airport my lovely wife was presented with a specially boxed bouquet of native flowers the beauty of which, we didn't see until, we arrived home.

Thankyou Le Cannonier for making our wedding day the best day of my life (apart from the one where I first met my wife to be) and thank you Mauritius you are a true gem in the Indian Ocean!!! In the words of the Terminator - "We'll be back!"

13 Thank A3B
Linkoping, Sweden
Reviewed November 24, 2007

We celebrated our 10 year weeding anniversary by taking our three children to this hotel for two weeks, arriving on October 22nd. After flying for 11 hours, landing at 5 am and travelling in an old bus for two hours, the reception at the hotel was a delight.
Warm towels, fresh drinks, complimentary breakfast and access to our room at 9 am(!). After this service continued to be on a high level, friendly but correct. The room, a family duplex, was clean and even more spacious than anticipated after viewing the layout on the hotel website.
We stayed on half board, which we think was a good choice, since the food was so delicious that we fell that we would have gained too much weight by eating it three times a day...
Breakfast was superb with fresh bread and erverything we could wish to put on it, , a wide choice of cereals, fresh fruit etc. To top it of, a special cook was ready to take your order for fried or scrambled eggs, an omelette of your choice etc.
For dinner the buffet was perfect, especially for the children, with a wide choice of fresh made food, i.e. no "mountains of half-old food". The à la carte restaurant offered a nice variation in serving style, although we could not understand why there was no possibility to supplement the half board menu,even if this was stated on the menu.
Water and land acitivites were very good, although we were a bit disappointed when we found out that snorkelling equipment was only available during excursions. The pool was a favorite spot for our children and our six year old even (finally) learned to swim there!

+ Food, general standard, service, activities
- the coffee wasn't really good (although the espresso was), expensive wine (apart from house wine in pitchers, which on the other hand was rather cheap (and perfectly acceptable)) and lunch.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — The coffee
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank ziknik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe aux Canonniers
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Zilwa Attitude
Zilwa Attitude
#1 of 3 in Calodyne
Veranda Grand Baie Hotel & Spa

Been to Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!