We booked two weeks all inclusive at Le Canonnier for our honeymoon, November 2012. As you arrive, the driveway, grounds and entrance into the reception area is extremely impressive. After being given a drink and hot towel to mop down with, we were shown down a dark, dated and smelly corridor to our ‘superior room’. It was raining heavily and the damp humid air had caused the old brown carpets to sweat. The smell was dreadful!
The superior room was clean, modern and had a big double bed but overlooked the children’s playground and lacked the ‘wow’ factor that we were expecting given what we paid for our holiday. We asked for an alternative room where we were shown something identical but with a different view. Expressing our disappointment, we were offered one of the honeymoon suites but this was to cost us almost half again of what we had already paid for our holiday! The room was huge, modern and comfortable with double doors opening directly onto the beach, lovely for sitting outside with drinks from the minibar, watching amazing sunsets, we loved it. After negotiating a significant discount, we moved in but it was still very expensive and something we wouldn’t have done had it not been our honeymoon.
Despite staying in the hotel’s best room option, we were surprised that the cleaners felt the constant need to store their many cleaning trollies outside our room from about 8 in the morning until at least 4 in the afternoon. Mops and buckets, linen and empty glasses and bottles were constantly present in the corridors as it seemed to be the procedure for staff to empty these things out of peoples rooms into communal areas where they would remain until a member of staff collected them the next day. This was a real shame and certainly isn’t what we expected for a hotel of this standard.
Unlike other reviewers, we found the food to be excellent. Although there were some dishes you’d see every day, overall there was an amazing choice with many hot dishes being cooked freshly in front of you during service. The head chef very friendly and keen to please my appetite for spicy dishes and he was always keen to make recommendations to me.
Table service was sometimes a little slow during busy periods but the staff were generally very polite and helpful. The hotel has two further restaurants in addition to the buffet restaurant. The Navigator restaurant was a lovely spot with an amazing view over the beach and sea and was well worth visiting for lunch or dinner. The third restaurant was an Italian which was cordoned off the side of the buffet restaurant. Sadly service was incredibly slow and whilst nicely presented, the food wasn’t all that special. You could also arrange a romantic meal on the beach but this was prohibitively expensive, nearly £200 which was a real shame as it would have been a beautiful romantic setting.
Every evening the bar which was in a beautiful setting within the garden and pool area would provide entertainment. The cocktails weren’t as good as those made with branded spirits but the beer and wine were enjoyable and the bar staff are friendly. After the bar closed, you could buy drinks in the Navigator which also had a disco at midnight although this didn’t seem to be used by many guests.
The hotel is advertised as having wifi but it was only available in the bar and reception with variable signal strength and it wasn’t available in the hotel rooms. The pool and beach were clean, sports facilities including the water sports were excellent as was the spa which is located in a maze of rooms up an enormous tree.
To conclude, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Le Canonnier but there are some simple things that they don’t seem to have got quite right here which given what you pay and expect from a Beachcomber hotel, should not be the case.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A trendy family resort in Mauritius One of the best family resorts in Mauritius, Le Canonnier stands proudly above the coastline on a historic peninsula. Le Canonnier enhances the authentic Mauritian atmosphere with commanding views over the northern islands and sparkling Indian Ocean, lush tropical gardens dotted with cascading pools and a string of secluded creeks. Bearing testimony to the island's historical past are ruins of a lighthouse and fortress blending seamlessly into the tropical gardens. A wide variety of land and water sports is on offer. A unique feature of the resort is its wellness centre built in the branches of a banyan tree where therapists soothe body and mind. The hotel is also known for its unique mini-club housed in an ancient lighthouse. Guests can select the optional "Beachcomber All-Inclusive Package" which covers most food and drinks for complete peace of mind during their holidays in Mauritius. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Canonnier Hotel Pointe Aux Cannoniers
- Le Canonnier Pointe Aux Cannoniers
- Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa Mauritius/Pointe Aux Canonniers