“Beautiful views and perfect location”

Review of Casa Teja

Master Bedroom
Master Bedroom
Guest Bedroom
Guest Bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

5 of 5 bubbles Excellent - based on 11 reviews

Reviews from our community

Sadia A
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Beautiful views and perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013 for a stay in February 2012

Our stay at Casa Teja was simply amazing. The property is centrally located, and the villa is warm and inviting. The accommodations were great, nice clean linens, comfortable beds, and all the necessary amenities you need. It's grand in size and has a beautifully designed exterior and interior. Your will simply be in awe of the interior design and will find yourself touring the house the moment you get there! The property overlooks the vibrant blue body of water along with cliff views and greenery all around. The front balcony area is a great place to sit and relax, enjoy breakfast, or even take a nap at your leisure! The pool is a nice perk too. Nearby is a restaurant/cafe, which serves up delicious drinks and fresh juices. There is also shop which offers hourly fun activities, such as paddle boarding. The casa can be a private place to for a romantic getaway, and it's grand enough for a a family vacation too!

5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: The comfort and views
Liked least: Not staying long enough!
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

5 of 5 bubbles Value 5 of 5 bubbles Rooms
5 of 5 bubbles Location 5 of 5 bubbles Cleanliness
5 of 5 bubbles Check in / front desk 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Rhonda M
Houston, Texas, United States
“Casa Teja-Best Place I’ve Ever Stayed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 for a stay in March 2013
people found this review helpful

(This trip included myself, my husband and 2 teens.)
I’ve been on lots of vacations, but this one takes the prize, starting with the experience of walking into Casa Teja. The photos on the website don’t do the place justice and they don’t show some of the coolest aspects. The décor is lovely and comfortable with plenty of Costa Rican flavor, and there are numerous outdoor sitting/lying/eating areas along with indoor places, both upstairs and downstairs. If you don’t exhale and relax when you walk into the house, then there may be no hope for you.
The Las Catalinas online activity list gave me the impression the vacation spot is mostly for kayaking, mountain biking, hyper adventurers, and I wasn't sold on it at first, but my semi-low key family really enjoyed the trip.
At Casa Teja, at any given moment, you can choose to be with your family or friends the various sitting areas, swimming in the pool or hanging at the beach right in front of your house… OR you can sneak off to the various outdoor lounging areas at the house and read a book while listening to the ocean only a few yards away. (I took my Kindle and read several books while I was there.)
Our house mama kept the place sparkling clean, scrubbing every inch inside and out every day and doing our laundry. She also checked to see if we needed additional groceries picked up or if we wanted her to make us smoothies, etc.
Since Las Catalinas is tucked away a few miles from the resort areas, there were no noisy spring breakers or people hawking trinkets on the beach. It’s quiet and exclusive, and the management, security, and other personnel know exactly who is supposed to be there. The only uninvited guests were some howler monkeys that woke us up the first morning we were there. They played in the trees outside our house for an hour or so.
On a typical day, we were served breakfast by our house mama, which we preferred to eat at the kitchen table. She’d make some Costa Rican breakfast foods and ask us if we wanted eggs, toast, bacon, juice, etc. The kitchen was also well-stocked with cereals.
I could have easily stayed at the house/beach area the entire time and loved it. However, we had teens along who wanted to go places. So, we’d either drive our rented SUV or be picked up for a tour or activity. (Even though we weren’t at a huge resort, private tour companies were happy to come get us in out-of-the-way Las Catalinas.) We ate lunch near the activity location or, if we were at Casa Teja, we had Lola’s Restaurant deliver lunch to our house. (If you like to cook, the kitchen is a dream, but we prefer being fed.) Then, we either went down to the beach or relaxed, reading or napping.
Each evening, the greatest thing happened. A Costa Rican chef and his assistant showed up at our house and started cooking. (You need to book this in advance of your trip and I highly recommend it.) They called us down when the food was ready. We sat out at the round table in the lovely outdoor dining area and were serenaded by the sound of waves breaking as the chef and assistant served us an appetizer, a main course, and a dessert. This felt like heaven.
The food was fabulous! My husband and I and both teenagers LOVED everything the chef cooked for us. The outdoor, ocean-air evening dining experience made it that much more special. We looked forward to this each day, wondering what new Costa Rican delights we’d sample that night. I’d like to kiss whoever designed that house with the patio dining area toward the beach. Not all the houses were done that way and it added so much to our experience.
The tiny town is kept extremely clean. The beach is private for Las Catalinas. At night, we went for walks because we ate too much. It was very quiet, but the sidewalks are new and well-lit and there are security officers visible all the time.
How we got there: We requested transport from the airport to Las Catalinas, since we’d never been there before. However, we reserved an SUV that was waiting for us when we got to Las Catalinas. We liked having our own wheels to visit the nearby resort town to shop for souvenirs or eat lunch at various restaurants. We used our vehicle nearly every day. However, I believe they have “ride share” vehicles available too.
Activities we booked:
There were two completely different tours that tied for the best experiences while we were there. One was the Palo Verde tour we booked through Costa Rica Private Tours before we left. We were picked up for a private tour and taken to the Palo Verde National Park. On the way, our guide was a fountain of information about Costa Rican culture, geography, wildlife, politics, and folklore. He was so well-educated about the U.S. that he could compare and contrast between Costa Rica and the various U.S. states on all subjects. He answered every question my inquisitive family had in great detail. (He said, by law, all Costa Rican tour guides must go through extensive training and pass tests to be certified, so maybe it’s hard to go wrong there.) After my last 2 vacation experiences, I’m a big fan of private tours over groups.
He took us on a little boat on the Tempisque River where he and the boat captain found all kinds of interesting Costa Rican wildlife. Some, we were able to get very close to. But I’d advise you to bring a good camera with a zoom. My daughter captured extra detail in her 20x zoom photos that we missed when looking at the animals on site. We saw two kinds of monkeys, huge iguanas, bizarre little bats, crocodiles, lovely birds, etc. The guide knew interesting facts about each animal. Then we went up the mountain to an outdoor restaurant with great food.
The other favorite thing was the private catamaran sunset snorkeling tour. (Keep in mind, we had a 17 and 15 year old. This might not be ideal for little kids.) We got on the boat and were given lounging cushions, beverages, and sliced fruit as we cruised through the water. Eventually, we stopped in a bay where a crew member took us snorkeling, pointing out various ocean creatures. We’d worked up an appetite by the time we got back on the boat and the crew had a simple but very tasty meal ready for us. (This was the only night we didn’t use the chef.)
Another day, my husband and kids went on an ATV tour. They’re major computer geeks, so imagine my surprise when all 3 walked in covered head to toe in layers of dirt (except where their goggles had been). They said they had a blast. The three of them also rented jet skis. My husband and step-son went zip-lining and said it was exhilarating. The kids wanted to go horseback riding one day, but my husband and I didn’t. We took them to where the tour departs and a very nice, responsible guide explained what they would be doing and when to expect them back.
My husband and I sat in an outdoor restaurant across the road and had shrimp appetizers and beverages until they returned. They loved the outing. The guide showed them lots of interesting things, and told them he went to college in the U.S., but missed Costa Rica and returned.
Back at “home,” the kids rented boogie boards from Pura Vida Ride and hung out at the beach.
However, as great as some activities were, what I enjoyed most was relaxing at the house. I can’t imagine a more laid-back atmosphere. Everywhere I looked, there was something cool or interesting to see and the feel of the place just made me go “ahhhh.”
And honestly, I need my space. As much as I truly like my family members, being trapped in small spaces on vacation causes me more stress than relaxation. At Casa Teja, they had to go looking for me. I could be upstairs on my big bed, or outside my bedroom in the hammock, or around the corner (on the wrap around balcony) lying on the lounging couch, or downstairs on the leather couches, or in the outdoor patio “living room” on a couch, or in the outdoor dining area, which also has a comfortable sitting area next to it, or in the poolside lounge chairs.
This made for a perfect vacation because we had all the family togetherness we wanted, plus all the space we could possibly need when we felt like splitting up.
The only downside was, when we left, the kids wanted to bring the house back with us, even though we live in a pretty nice house already. I wanted to bring the house AND the chef AND the house mama.

5 of 5 bubbles How easy was it to book the property? 5 of 5 bubbles How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
5 of 5 bubbles Overall condition of the property 5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses
5 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils 5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness
5 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: The style, comfort, roominess of house, indoor and out.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
fredgrimm
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Veranda perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 for a stay in July 2013

Even without the rain forest and mountains that wrap around Las Catalinas, with the hiking and mountain biking trails leading to stunning ocean vistas, Casa Teja still might have ranked one of the most alluring places where I’ve ever spent the night. Along with the modern amenities, and the lovely tile and woodwork, the heated lap pool, the original eclectic artwork throughout puts this well beyond some corporate-designed destination. And then the rooms open onto wide verandas that overlook the Pacific Ocean. Just down the stone walkway, a one minute journey, there’s fine food and drink with tables amid the palms. But it becomes something of a psychic struggle, the thought of leaving the veranda. My only complaint about Casa Teja was going home.

5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: The veranda, the view, the sounds of the tide
Liked least: going home
Traveling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012 for a stay in June 2012

4 of 5 bubbles Value 5 of 5 bubbles Rooms
5 of 5 bubbles Location 5 of 5 bubbles Cleanliness
5 of 5 bubbles Check in / front desk 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
$575
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing