“Not flash but adequate”
Review of Harvest Hotel

Harvest Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Cromwell
Reviewed July 12, 2012

There is plenty of choice around Cromwell but this the only large tourist style hotel. The rooms were large but a bit lacking in character. We found the staff helpfull and the food quite nice. There is nothing quite like this part of Central Otago on a clear winter morning. Crisp and beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have been to the Golden Gate twice now and both times the staff have been rude. The first time we had to ask them if we could sit anywhere, and then again had to ask for a menu before returning to the bar to place our order. The food was lovely, but the attitude of the staff to put it nicely stinks.

The second time we placed an order at the bar for one of the pizzas. It was about 4.50pm when we ordered and got told it would be about 15 minutes. We sat and read the paper for a while. At 5.15pm I asked the staff if there was any sign of the pizza. I was told that they were busy with a conference but would check with the kitchen. The staff came out with our pizza and garlic bread and then told me that we were lucky as they don't start cooking until 5pm. Again the food was great. Well done tot he kitchen staff, shame about the front of house.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Wendy S
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Wendy S, I was dissappointed to read your comments as we take pride in our Food and Beverage service. It is embarrassing that this has occurred twice, let alone to the same person. I will be personally actioning this with staff . I hope you will make contact with me so I can discuss directly with you.

Glen Christiansen - General Manager

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed here on business recently.

The decor of the rooms are a bit tired but they are warm on a frosty night. There was painting activity in one wing.
The restaurant was simple but well cooked and presented food.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Spoke to a lovely person on the phone who quoted me one price, but receptionist initially took offense when I mentioned the quote given. Rooms and decor are a little outdated for the price.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Large rooms, comfortable bed. Washbasin not in bathroom - that's odd.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I would highly recommend the Golden Gate Lodge for your Wedding. I got married in the beautifully maintained court yard outside of the conference centre and also had my reception at the Conference centre. We all had the best day EVER and this mainly comes down the exceptional staff who helped plan our special day. Karen and her team made my wedding day the most memorable day ever, the day was so relaxing and the word stress did not even come into it. I wish I could do it all over again. The conference did not even look like a conference room after all the beautiful chiffon coverings went up all around the walls and ceilings...it looked like a wedding venue! The rooms we had were very clean, comfortable and spacious and all with balconies or courtyards. The reception/bar/kitchen (all staff) we so very friendly and accommodating. Glen and his team run a fantastic business, if anyone is looking for somewhere to have your wedding service and wedding reception all in the one place, this is the place to go. The majority of our guest stayed at the Golden Gate also, therefore no one has to drive anywhere...convenience at your door step!!!! Once again, thanks to Glen, Karen and team, you truly have made my wedding day a memorable one....cheers

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This is a really nice motel with fantastic views of the mountains from the front rooms.
The rooms are large but very cosy and nice
Dinning room was great with good meals.
The one down is that the upkeep was not as good as it could be with the carpets in the halls really tatty, but the service and freindly people more than made up for that.

Room Tip: get a front room, we had the down stairs but a balcony room woud be ok as well