“Disapointing second visit” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Drop of Red - CLOSED

A Drop of Red
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: A Drop of Red is unique and although we are passionate about the grape, we are so much more than just wine. A combination European bistro, coffee shop, cozy cafe and wine lovers den, A Drop of Red offers simple great-tasting food and drink all day and is a wonderful choice for breakfast, lunch, coffee and dessert, business meetings, functions and romantic rendezvous.We open at 9am daily for beautiful home-cooked breakfast (American waffles, French toast, numerous Benedict-tions) and lunch options, a large selection of desserts (many ice cream pies and cakes), great coffee and tea - but most of all, we offer a warm and friendly atmosphere.The widest selection of Central Otago wines anywhere on the planet is behind our counter. We are devoted to wine and encourage exploration into the numerous worlds of Central Otago pinots. Therefore, our philosophy is simple: in addition to the wines always offered by the glass, any bottle of wine in the bistro will be opened if two glasses are purchased. This results in an ever-changing "blackboard" of individual wine options. You never know what will be on offer, day-to-day. We also serve drops of white, and beer - and of course a wide selection of non-alcoholic drinks.Set in rustic surroundings, tucked away behind the trees, our "wee cottage" is intended to be a comfortable and casual home away from home. Our seating offers privacy and comfort. We invite you to relax reading a book or magazine, play a game of Scrabble or Backgammon, escape into the view from the veranda or outdoor area - all while enjoying your time with us.Now home to the Cromwell Film Society, our "cinema" is cozy, an almost just-like-home experience - but better! Doors open at 7pm for a "supper club" of film-inspired meals, wine, popcorn etc. Films are shown every two to three weeks, a diverse selection spanning different genres. You must not be a member to buy a ticket, the cinema is open to anyone and everyone.A Drop of Red is honoured to have been accepted to carry the Central Otago brand as an ambassador for the region. We choose to live here and are proud to be part of this wonderful world of difference.
Whanganui, New Zealand
“Disapointing second visit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

I first went there two years ago and it was quirky but great service and very interesting menu.

Today I asked for a table for two and got a fairly blunt wells theres the board what do you want. We should have left then but it could have just been a bad day.

We ordered eggs bene. Coffees were good. Eggs bene is worst I have had. Pretty sure the hollandaise was out of a packet from the supermarket. It was thin and tasteless. I had some hollandaise stuff ups myself but I would start again not serve it.

A spider came down to greet my partner which I grabbed and she was concerned there maybe more heading her way as lots of dead flies around.

The host was doing some email marketing as we left but think some cleaning and working on cooking and customer service would be more effective to get this business back on track.

aDoRBistro, Owner at A Drop of Red, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
I am truly stumped as what to reply. As you can see, I have waited for a time. I really have nothing to say but I am sad you felt this way. Maybe it was a bad day for me, still no excuse to make you feel unworthy. I do not consider myself a rude person, and our eggs benedict are extremely popular, even receiving stars in reviews. Again, maybe a bad day all around. You have every right to your opinion and I respect that. But behind the café is a real person. I do care about my customers and my business. But I am a one man operation and sometimes there are things I need to deal with. I was attentive, though, and looked after you, asking about your meal. That would have been a chance to open up a conversation. And I have no control over spiders - the café is in a rustic barn. Again, I am sad you had a bad experience. It was truly not my intention.

Cromwell, New Zealand
“terrible coffees”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Ordered 2 coffees, a fluffy and a chai. The fluffy was so hot that even after 30 mins my daughter could not drink it and it arrived with no foam. The coffees also tastes off due to the milk being overheated.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
aDoRBistro, Owner at A Drop of Red, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
I am sorry you did not like your coffees. I did ask you after serving if everything was alright and you answered yes. That would have been the chance to say that the coffee was too hot, or the fluffy not right, or any other multitude of replies. Instead you did indeed drink all of your orders (except for the fluffy), and left without saying goodbye. It is not my place to argue about temperatures of milk as you have your opinion. I will only say that we have numerous regulars - and tourists - who consider our coffees some of the best.
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We love this place! It's our number one choice for a lunch stop on route from Dunedin to Queenstown. Great value for money with lovely, tasty light lunches, good coffee and a nice selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

This time round I had the chicken pot with bread, which was just what I needed at that time. The Green Man Brewery alcoholic ginger beer hit the spot as well! A sense of total relaxation overcame me - I could have stayed for longer (and have given in to the temptation of the peanut butter cup dessert).

Love that this place is different from other eateries in the area.

• Visited October 2013
aDoRBistro, Owner at A Drop of Red, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you so much for frequenting us and we look forward to you stopping in again. We are happy that you feel at home and comfortable - that is what it is all about! All the best, pk
Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand
“Always a warm welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Always a warm welcome here, lovely surroundings, especially in summer and autumn when you can sit out in garden.

Visited July 2013
aDoRBistro, Owner at A Drop of Red, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our cafe. It is a joy to serve locals and we welcome you anytime you wish to stop by! Cheers pk
Queenstown
“Loved it !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

A great wee find for wine and food hedonists .Cosy ,interesting memorabilia ,warm on a cold day and very friendly .All meals were well presented ,very nourishing and filling.Wine matches were spot on .Definitely on our Central Otago to do list .

• Visited June 2013
aDoRBistro, Owner at A Drop of Red, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Loved seeing you here - especially knowing how hard it is for you to get away! Thanks so much for your kind words and look forward to seeing you whenever you find time to head our way! All the best! pk