“Wonderful cottage!”

Beach Hideaway
Rodeo, CA
“Wonderful cottage!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I only spent one night in this lovely cottage and we would love to come back and spend more time in this area. It's beautiful, with a view of the ocean and very peaceful. I would recommend stopping at a grocery store for supplies as the cottage has a stove, refrigerator and microwave. On their website they offer breakfast, either continental or full. We ordered the full and when we checked in all the items were in our little fridge for us to make the next morning. We loved that and it was probably the best breakfast for my husband which included eggs, sausage, hash browns and toast. He's not a big fan of the granola the NZ people are fond of:)
It was about a 10 minute drive to the Pancake rocks which I recommend seeing. We went twice while we were in the area and yes, high tide is the time to go.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I can't speak highly enough of Beach Hideaway. We went for a relaxing weekend away and that's exactly what we got. We were lucky that no one was staying in the other cabin so we had sole use of the (amazing) hot tub and outdoor fire pit. We were also lucky that the weather was clear so got a good fire going which was perfect for roasting marshmallows. The cabin itself was also fantastic; everything was clean and modern and the Sleepyhead bed was so comfortable. I can also recommend the fish and chip shop in Runanga for a cheap, tasty meal.

If you want to get away and relax, a bit off the beaten track, then this is a great place. Be prepared that there is no local supermarket (I think the closest would be 20 minutes drive away in Greymouth) and the closest restaurant is Punakaiki. There is also no management onsite. There was a phone outside the cabins which we used to call the number listed, and they gave us the code to get into the cabin. For us these were all big pluses though and added to the feeling of "getting away".

I would also recommend knifemaking in Barrytown (just down the road) for a fabulous day activity, a walk along the beach, and of course a visit to the Pancake Rocks at high tide.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2012

A one night stop but wished we could have stayed longer. The 2 bed house was beautifully set up - everything was perfect. As it was secluded we took our own food and had a barbeque. The beach was a short, enjoyable walk away and the hot tub a definite big plus. We would thoroughly recommend this holiday accommodation - FABULOUS

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed with our family in the 2 bedroom villa, when my brother come back to NZ for a holiday. The house is modern, comfortable, and is the most well set up holiday house I've ever experienced. It has an outdoor spa, fire-pit for roasting marshmallows, and even a petanque/boules game area. If it rains (which it did for most of our stay) the TV has almost every Sky channel, with wireless repeaters to the two bedroom TVs. We didn't have much trouble from sand-flies, and great care has been taken with the house to cover the windows with bug netting. The rain was intermittent, so we managed a trip to the pancake rocks at Punakaiki, and a walk to the beach down from the house. It was one of the most enjoyable holidays I've had, and staying here had a big part in that. Absolutely stunningly beautiful area, and we can't wait to come back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I booked Beach Hideaway for 2 nights to destress from the hectic european life. It had everything that I could ask for: Warm and cosy privat home, great bed, quietness, TV with all Sky channels, Ipod, hot tub, fully equipped kitchen and a beautifull deck to sit on (dry) and watch the rain. There is no need to step out, specially with the weather I had :-) The small hot pool area could be a bit cleaner.

The place is set in Barrytown, there are just 2 undetatched cottages. There is no reception or owner in the neighborhood. Locks open through password which is supplied prior to the visit. There is a phone to reach out the caretaker and get the password if necessary.

They say there is a hot spot internet, but I could not get connection to the outside world!

There are no shops nearby, so its important to carry your grocery from Greymouth! (max 30 min drive) Barrytown is ideal location for visiting Punakaiki and do some great walks in the Paparoa National Park.

I will definitely comeback and stay much longer.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank reisverslaafde
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed here for one night as a logical stopover place between Fox Glacier and the Nelson area.
The bed was exceptionally comfortable (our standards - we like a softer pillow-top). No night noises at all, very quiet.
There was a lovely veranda that you could sit outside and enjoy the peace and serenity. Bugs were not a problem when we visited.
We walked to the beach in the morning before we left - actually saw some penguin tracks from the night before - big excitement! Penguins had left much earlier to go fishing.
Apparently wi-fi was available, but we had no luck connecting. Could have been our tablet though.
I would recommend bringing your own food, rather than thinking you will leave for supper, leave for breakfast, etc. I think any restaurant is a considerable distance away, and it is nice to get to this little hideaway, and not have to leave again very fast.
If you had two nights here, then a good day trip might be to Punakaiki. I don't remember the distance, but I do recall that we seemed to get there quite quickly when we left the next morning. And once we arrived at Punakaiki, there were enough walks, beaches, etc, that we lingered there for a long time. I could imagine spending a day in that area, and then heading back to Beach Hideaway for a second night would be nice.

Room Tip: I think the larger cabin has laundry facilities.