“Awesome”

Iberostar Ensenachos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cayo Ensenachos
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Went here a few years ago but still remember it as a favorite holiday. Great for honeymooners if you get a villa. So private and the beaches don't get much better. Was surprised the food was great for Cuba.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lizajane51060
Carlos V, Director General at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Dear Clients,
Thank you very much for this nice review. I will pass your words to all my staff. We are glad that you had a good time and let me tell you that whenever you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact us.
Wish you all the best
Kind Regards

Reviewed August 26, 2014

We travelled to Iberostar Ensenachos from August 5th to August 12, 2014. We had previously been to a 4 star hotel in kayo coco in 2008 and I must say this hotel was a big improvement. You have to remember this is Cuba, and for Cuba this is a 5 star hotel, you can't compare it to the King Edward in Toronto which I have stayed at and which also the Queen of England stays at when she visits Canada. I liked the food, although I am a better cook, and I found that when you tell them what to put on your fish while they are cooking it, like lemon, and salt and pepper, they will put it on, it's funny that they don't just add these things without you asking. The best restaurant there is the seafood restaurant, the service was exceptional, the service overall was amazing, no worker from the hotel would pass by me without saying Hi. They were very appreciative of tips, and extremely friendly. We have decided to go there in 2015 again since our stay was so enjoyable. The beaches are sublime, especially the ensenachos beach. The megano beach was great too, and it was the beach to be at if you wanted to be involved in activities, they offered dancing lessons, water aerobics, and there were two employees ready at all times to play volleyball if you were interested. I enjoyed the archery lessons as well but they were not at the beach. Someone commented on the staff stealing their stuff on the beach, and honestly I believe that is a total and complete fabrication (the staff never touched anything). When I was there, I left my iPhone and my kindle on the beach in a tote full of pesos and never had anyone touch my stuff. I was there for 3 days and had no problem finding a chair, however on the 4th day, inconsiderate people had left their towels and books and shoes and stuff on chairs to reserve them so they were hogging up the chairs when no one was using them. I told my husband I felt like taking all their towels and bringing them to the front desk with a dumb blonde comment of "look what I found on the beach" to teach those beach hogs a lesson, so if you got your stuff stolen, it was most likely from a pissed off vacationer like me! And believe me I wouldn't have kept your junk, I would have disposed of it for your hogging the chairs. For goodness sake, I went for a 9 am swim and couldn't get a chair I had to all the way to the other side of the beach, however a nice life guard followed me and un stacked the lounger and swept the sand from it for me every time I went to the beach, they were always watching and always attentive. While reading on the beach I noticed that many times a man would come with a tray and ask what I would like to drink, which was nice. And there were days that a young man would come with an ice cream cart and deliver ice cream to you while you were in your lounger. The only complaint I received was from my youngest son, who is 14 years old and it was about the heat. I was always approached by staff and asked if I wanted to join in activities, but they would leave you alone if you didn't, and I was always asked if I wanted a drink while sitting at a table at the main pavilion. I was never ignored, it's like the staff was hyper focused, and anticipated my need when I had it. When I did go up to the bar, I was served when it was my turn, however I noticed some travellers tried to jump ahead of you to get served first, even when waiting in line to be serviced at the front desk, I had an old woman get in line in front of me, I turned around and told the guy behind me, "let her go, she's old, she doesn't have much time left to live anyway" that got a laugh and he relaxed, but he was annoyed of her jumping the line. And jumping the line by vacationers was common. It wasn't the staff's fault as they were trying to ensure that didn't happen. When people tried to jump ahead at the bar, the bartenders were aware and would not serve them until the people who were ahead of them got served. The room service by the cleaning staff was great, and the man who stocked the fridge was really friendly as well. We always got asked by the guys driving golf carts if we wanted a lift which we usually declined because we actually like to walk. So overall it was an excellent experience and I cannot wait to go back again.

7  Thank Annelise D

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for taking the time to express your opinions and for letting us know. Our clients’ comments are very important to us and we sincerely value them. They will assist us in better serving our guests in the future. We hope to have you again among us, to provide you even a better service.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Before we begin, lets make sure we take things into consideration. CUBA is not Mexico, or Dominican Republic or like other vacation destinations where you should expect "American" standards. The unfortunate political situation makes it a third world country and the relationship with the USA makes it difficult to have all the amenities you would normally expect.

I've been to many places in Cuba and I would have to say that Iberostar Ensenachos is probably the best Cuban resort i've experienced.

We were there from Aug. 15th to the 22nd, 2014. I was there with my 28 month old daughter.

Arriving in Santa Clara is always a mess, Airport is tiny, seems like there are always 3 or 4 planes arriving at the same time and everything is slow, especially customs.

Once all that is cleared up, its a 1h 40min buss ride through the country side to the hotel.

Hotel

The check-in process from what I've read is usually a 15 min affair. Our rooms were not ready so it took a while longer, once we had our Keys, bell boys took our bags to the room. The room was very big and spacious, very clean with all the amenities, safe, mini bar, large bathroom. I visited several room and they were all very spacious.

Rooms were cleaned daily and the towels were replaced on a regular basis. We were in complex 41. Ideally located for beach and family pool, but a 10 min walk from the lobby and restaurant.

Pool
The pool was huge with many different levels so your kids can also enjoy themselves. Next to the family pool there was a kids pool with water slides for kids of all ages. My daughter really ejoyed herself.

The pool was dirty on the first day we arrived but was all cleaned up and crystal clear the following day.

Beach
If you are looking for a quiet place to rest with calm water, this is the place. Fine white sand, crystal clear water, lots of beach chairs and it never felt crowded at anytime. Water isn't deep and its so calm that my young daughter was never in any danger. She came in and out at her leisure.

As a bonus, there are waiters walking back and forth all day, so you don't have to walk to get yourself a drink.

I would recommend brining some bread from the hotel and feeding the small fish, great experience, my daughter loved it.

Restaurants
Cuba is a definite miss when it comes to food. If you are expecting fine dinning every night, this is not the place for you. There is always something to eat that you will enjoy, and enough variety that you don't have to eat the same thing over and over.

Buffet
Breakfast had what you would expect, eggs, pancakes, fruit, juices (Try the mango juice), smoothie bar, bread..etc.

never visited the buffet for lunch.

Dinner always had something good to eat. I just wished the cuban cooks would learn to use seasoning. Food was a little bland. Would highly recommend the pizza. Always freshly cooked thin crust pizza.

Family pool snack bar.

Great place for lunch. good hot dogs.

Beach Snack Bar

Flat Bread pizza, mini buffet, Don't forget to finish off with a plate of Fresh Mango.

A La Carte Resto's

Japanese resto was OK, nothing special, especialy by north american std. but its all cooked in front of you and the menu items from the Wok were also good.

Italian resto... Avoid
International resto... Avoid at all costs

Didn't try any of the other resto's since it was for adults only.

All in all, over a 7 day period, always something to eat, good variety.

Evening Entertainment

The shows at the hotel were good compared to other Cuban resorts i've stayed at. The dansers were quite good, live music, different themes. My daughter enjoyed very much.

Summary.

What else can I say, Staff was friendly and extremely accommodating, location is perfect, beach was great the property is safe. Will return sometime in the future.

8  Thank aquaman0601

Dear guest
Thank you so much for taking part of your time and write us about your recent stay at IBEROSTAR Ensenachos, we appreciate all your comments, we love that you have been a wonderful stay here among us, we work hard in order to all our guests feel themselves like home. We hope to have you again among us in the future and offer you even a better service. If so, do not hesitate to contact Mrs Lisbet Perez our Customer Service Manager, email: jefe.rrpp@ensenachos.co.cu

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We went to Iberostar Ensenachos in May for our honey moon. We booked a suite. At the beginning we were disappointed by the room as the room consist of two floors and bedroom is on top. So it was a bit inconvenience to carry all your belonging on the second floor and first floor wasn't much of use. But the biggest inconvenience was bed smell in the room and terrible room service. We went to complain and staff for our surprise was very helpful. They moved us to the villa which was very spacious and clean. After that we started to enjoy our holiday in full.

The Ensenachos beach was spectacular, one of the best beaches we've ever been. You can sea in a crystal clear water star fish and lots of small fish which can be sometimes a bit ticklish for your feet if you feeding them with a bread. We recommended this place to our friend and they say the same (they went in December)

Also I really liked some exercise in the sea provided by very friendly staff.

The food wasn't any thing special. So I would suggest not to expect too much. However there was a wide choice of different dishes.

We liked that dolphin centre is very near by of the hotel. There was a great fun to swim with the dolphin. We also booked an excursion to Trinidad, which was great.

Overall we really enjoy our stay at Iberostar Ensenachos and would recommend if you want to spend a great time at the beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tatyana C
Carlos V, Director General at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Dear guest,
All the staff and Management team at IBEROSTAR Ensenachos wants to thank you for sharing your comments and experience with us and other readers. We are glad to know that overall you were able to enjoy our services, especially our beaches. We hope we can welcome you back again someday.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Date of Travel: August 7 to August 14,2014 – second visit. Visited the same resort September 21 to 28, 2013.

Us: Family with an18-month child

Email Hotel Management: If you search hard enough on Tripadvisor, you’ll find an email for management to request for special accommodation. Last year’s manager Brenda was quick to answer our email and promptly obliged to our requests. This year’s manager Carlos never replied three of our email attempts and none of our requests were provided.

Carrier: Sunwing – We were served a sandwich, drink, and banana bread both ways. A customs declaration card and Cuban Tourist Visa Card were given on flight to Cuba. It’s very important not to make a mistake or lose the Tourist Visa Card or a $20cuc will be needed for a new Tourist Visa Card.

Arrival at Santa Clara Airport: The airport was very small. We had to line up to be interviewed by immigration officers who examined our passports, tourist visa card, and inquiring our itinerary while in Cuba. A photo mug shot was then taken by immigration. Once passed through immigration, there was yet another security clearance that we had to go through before we could pick up our bags and headed to the awaiting bus.

Bus ride: 1 hour 45 minutes bus ride through three towns on an air conditioned bus with a tour guide. The ride was very interesting. Luggage was safe to be left with the bellboy as we headed to front desk service for check-in.

Check-in procedure: around 15minutes – cold drinks were served. Passports needed to be scanned. A contact information form needed to be filled out. An information and room package including keys were given. An information and room package including keys were provided. We exchanged Canadian cash to Cuban convertible pesos. Somehow the exchange of every $100CAD was only worth $87CUC. Get enough change for tips and especially remember to save $25CUC departure tax per person (children under 2 – no tax). Try getting lots of ones. You’ll need them for tips. Headed back to the bellboy and gave him our room number. The bellboy took us and our luggage to our room on a golf cart and assisted in opening our room. Nice service. Tipping was appreciated.

Room Comfort and Amenities: All the buildings and rooms had seen better days. All the buildings needed serious investment to fix up and patch up little things here and there. It might be the weather or really poor constructions, but very few doors within the room could close at all or close properly. We were initially assigned a room by the family section building section 41. The room had no fan and the air conditioner did not work. We called reception and within 5 minutes a maintenance guy was in our room trying to fix the air conditioner. He could not successfully fix it. We asked him to call reception and requested for a new room for us. Within an hour we were given a new room at section building 42. The room was large and with a king sized bed, full bath, closet, TV, fridge, coffee maker, safe, iron, hair-dryer. Most important was the fact that there was a working fan and air conditioner. There was also an ice bucket but ironically ice was nowhere to be found anywhere in the resort. The fridge was not very cold but it had the necessary drinks and a large water bottle. No brand name international drinks, just domestic/fakes: two types of beer, two colas, two spite-like, and a large water bottle.

Room Cleanliness and drinks refill: Room was clean very well everyday between 1030am to 2pm. The maid was very nice. She always made some sort of arrangement with our towels and blankets. The water boy came by between 3am to 6pm. We always had plenty of toilet papers, towels and drinks.

Quality of the Beach: The resort boasts two beautiful crystal clear beaches with lots of marine life and powder white sand, the Ensenachos and the El Mégano. The Building sections 41 and 42 are family sections perfectly situated by the entrance and walk way to the El Megano. The Ensenachos was a 10-minute walk from the buildings or a short golf cart ride. You’ll never find a more beautiful beach anywhere with calm to no wind, low shallow water perfectly safe for children and various water activities, no seaweeds, and no jellyfish. These two beaches were the only reason for our return visit. We visited during high season and last year we visited during low season. We had no problems finding chairs and papayas any time of day. There was no need to wake up early to reserve chairs and papayas. Both beaches had lifeguards who were also the guys who helped setting up the chairs for the guests. Remember to bring lots of sunscreen, beach toys, and snorkeling gears and an underwater camera.

Quality of the Pools: The pools were very clean. The adult pools were chest deep. The children’s section playground pools were excellent for children under 12 years old.

Food and Restaurant Services:
• A la cartes: Book the a la cartes early. We were permitted three a la cartes during a 7-day stay. The International restaurant was located beneath the main buffet restaurant. We thought the food at the International was actually not bad. The Asian restaurant was also located beneath the main buffet restaurant and adjacent to the International. We did not enjoy the appetizers and sushi served at the Asian restaurant. It seemed like they did not know how to cook rice properly or to make sushi at all. The main course at the Asian was teppanyaki style fried rice. It was just okay. The Seafood restaurant located between the two beaches was a little farther away. We thought the food was good. The surf and turf was good, except no butter and both the lobster and the beef were chewy. The services by staff at all the restaurants were exceptional, friendly, and helpful.
• Buffet: Breakfast had the usual eggs, toasts, bacon, sausages, leftover meats from the day before, yogurts, fruits, juices, milk, coffee etc. Nothing special. The same breakfast was served every morning. Lunch had more variety of meat, fish, pasta, salad, fruits and deserts. Meat and fish were often undercooked and many items were not as hot as they should be or as cold as they should be. Some items were extremely salty and others had no taste at all or they were extreme tough to shallow. Seriously how could one go wrong cooking rice and corn? Well, the chefs at this resort had figured it out how to cook these two items to be inedible. Surprisingly none of us got sick from the food during this visit. Lunch was often a hit and miss experience. Dinner usually had better variety of food, better presentation, better tasting. But staying at the buffet too long and returning to your room too late at night after a fulfilling dinner you’ll be the dinner for the mosquitoes. The services by the staff at all the meals at the buffet were again exceptional, friendly, attentive, and helpful.

Bar and Drinks Variety: Bar and drinks at the beach and the pools were plentiful but because of the hot weather, by the time the drinks are brought to you they become water down. Service by the waiters by the beach was exceptional. However, we encountered a very bad experience at the bar situated at the main building. He was a short little bartender. He refused to serve us and repeatedly ignored us while he would only serve Spanish speaking locals. Locals rarely tip. I guess he did not wish to have any tips by Canadians. Service at the bar by the main building was terrible.

Front Desk Service: We find the front desk staff to be very helpful throughout our stay. On the day we were checking out early in the morning 450am, we came to them but the air conditioner within the reception area was off because management would not allow them to have air conditioner on during the night shift. The staff had a small fan and they offered it for us to use but we declined. The lack of air conditioner made us big targets for mosquitoes within reception room, where normally when it was on, it was a haven from the bites. I managed to avoid getting bitten during my stay. However, while checking out and waiting for the bus to pick us up to the airport, within an hour time I was bitten 15 times. The reception staff were kind hearted. The management policy to not have air conditioning running during the night for the sake of their staff and guests waiting for the bus was cold hearted and the reason why we will never return to this resort.

Cleanliness of Resort: Overall, the resort was relatively clean. We saw cockroaches and ants here and there including at the main buffet restaurant, but that was expected as we were staying in a tropic part of the world.

Daytime Beach Entertainment: The guys and gals at the beach working to entertain the guests were always extremely energetic, friendly and helpful. They’ll encourage you to participate but will leave you alone if you want a relaxing time with a book or with your family. There are plenty of activities including water exercise, dancing, sailing, and canoeing etc.

Evening Entertainment: Air conditioned stage away from the mosquitoes was awesome. The shows were good. But again, management did not seem to care about the entertainers. The costumes and production props needed serious replacement.

Value for Money: We return to this resort for the two beaches and the staff. Everything else is better than camping but certainly not a 5-star resort. At most it is a 3 star Western standard; 4 star Cuban standard. It’s really difficult to quantify the value of a beautiful beach. To answer this question, if you’re planning to go to a resort in Santa Clara, then this resort would be the best value for your money than any other resort in Cuba Santa Clara. However, if you’re planning to visit a true 5-star resort, then we would suggest visiting a resort in another country altogether.
Helpfulness of Destination Representative: The Sunwing representative speaks multiple languages. He had the same story and the same jokes told from year after year. He was available most of the time but his demeanor was not as pleasant after the orientation. His main concern is to sell excursions. But you could get the same excursions from the guys sitting in the same office as him for a few bucks less and you’ll get a smile with it.

Comfort and timeliness of the Transfer: The air conditioned bus was roomy and very comfortable. However, because the Iberostar resort is first drop off stop and the last pick up stop, the time provided by the Sunwing representative is often off by an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. We would suggest that if you’re told to check out 30 minutes prior to the bus pick up, you should stay in your room until the bus pick up time to check out then you’ll still have at least half an hour of waiting time for the bus to arrive to pick you up to the airport. There is no need to wait in the heat and being a meal for the mosquitoes.

Notes for parents with children: Prepare for the worst case scenario. Bring lots of first aids, medicine and formulas. The nearest hospital is 5km away but getting a taxi is impossible. Calling for an ambulance will take at least 30 minutes to 2 hours. The milk at the buffet may not be fitting for your young child. It often tastes sour and funny. Bring lots of sunscreen and perhaps invest in a sun suit and a large hat.

Room Tip: Whether booking online or through an agent, make special room requests exp. cribs, extra bed, lower...
10  Thank thespringtraveler

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for taking your time to express your opinions and thank you for letting us know. Our clients’ comments are very important to us and we sincerely value them. They will assist us in better serving our guests in the future. I will make sure that these comments get all the departments at the resort.
We apologize for all your inconveniences and we appreciate all your comments, because allow us to improve our services and we work hard in order to all our guests feel themselves like home

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Stayed there end of May/2014 and will never go back. From the minute that you walk in to the time you leave the resort everything sucks. The service,food,drinks and the rooms. I have never been to a worst hotel than this one. Don't leave anything on the beach because it's going to get stolen by the hotel stuff. Our towels and my sons toys got stolen even tho we asked the lifeguard if it's ok that we leave it there. We had to argue with the manager because they were going to charge us for the towels. The food is just terrible. The room is old and full of mold. Huge resort so get ready for lot of walking. One of the beach was very nice and the other one was a bit rough.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Greg K
Carlos V, Director General at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear Guest
Thanks for taking the time and write about your recent trip to Iberostar Ensenachos. We regret we didn’t fulfill your expectations. Please, accept my deep and sincere apologies for the inconvenience you had during your stay at the hotel, we will make sure that does not happen again.
Just to clarify one detail, the statement of not to leave anything on the beach because it's going to get stolen by the hotel stuff is an insult, because according your review you didnt see who did it.
If you decide to visit, please let us know and we assure you that we will offer you the service you deserve.
Once again thank you very much for writing about your experience at Iberostar Ensenachos. Your suggestions, as well as other customers are very important to help us improve our services.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Rating an hotel is sometimes difficult. If you compare this to Hawai, Bali etc. you will certainly rate this lower than average. If you know Cuba and understand how things work there and the limitation inherent to the country then your view and judgement will probably be much higher. This is a very large hotel (bungalows) spread on a global piece of land which spreads on 3 miles. If you do not have kids, you shall absolutely take the rooms in the Spa side. The pool is the absolute best of the resort. The village which is supposed to be the luxury part of the hotel has a very average pool and is at the end of the world. Way too far from main buildings etc. As said in many reviews the beaches (2) are both 5*. Regarding accommodation, service is nice but not stellar although people are always ready to help. One main restaurant and several smaller that you need to book in advance. (Also average). Rooms (Spa) are spacious and at US standard. Aircon works well, tube and shower. We had a very poor laundry experience. Took 3 days and we got everything back not ironed and still dirty. Food.... another key subject for most. We arrived at the hotel for on week after 2 weeks of trekking round Cuba. I can only say that people criticising the food quality probably only know Cuba through 4 and 5 stars hotel in Varadero or elsewhere. My appreciation is of course different. Very nice food and very good variety for Cuba. Overall location of the hotel is nice from a beach perspective but like all the hotels on those 'Cayos' very far from the real Cuba. Remedios, the first town is at 50km, one hour drive ....

Room Tip: Spa quarter if you have kids 16+
5  Thank Nicolas D
Carlos V, Director General at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Dear guest

#8 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
#10 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Iberostar Ensenachos? Share your experiences!