“Going back again next week, hoping for improvements!”

Iberostar Ensenachos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cayo Ensenachos
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Going back again next week, hoping for improvements!”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We originally went here May 2013, stayed in park section, 1st block by main building, ground floor - and will be going again next week. My family and I had an excellent time last year, however there was room for improvement.

The beach, pool, kids area/activities and grounds are excellent. Beach and lobby bar service are excellent. Rooms are clean and comfortable and AC is fine, Most staff are quite friendly. Food was pretty good considering it is cuba, (yes i said it!) Lobster and other meats were great. No trouble getting our room as we arrived at 930pm and they were able to accomodate my earlier request for a room close to the main building and with an extra bed. They even let us sneak in to the buffet just before close. The nightly shows were very good, and evening entertainment in the lobby was quite nice coupled with some excellent drinks.

The few things that i did mention to the staff over our stay in need of attention were: The 110V outlet in the bathroom had a loose connection, but we had a travel convertor so not a problem. Shower drain was partly clogged and there was a large crack in the shower tile. Limited toilet paper in the public washrooms, but we had TP with us(easy with a stroller). Ceiling fan didn't work, they did send someone the next day, but couldn't repair, no matter as AC worked fine. First morning, all palapas were taken by 10am, got a little sunburn. Each morning thereafter, got my butt down to the beach nice and early and booked my spot - No blame here, it happens everywhere. Vegetable and fruit are limited on the buffet, but nothing i did not expect. Cant comment on a la cartes as never went due to 3yr old napping through reservation time.
Biggest issues: Elevator being out(i heard it's fixed now, YAY!),poor pool service(drinks/chairs/restaurant) at the park pool and the kid's water park had no drink service and little chairs.
Montreal CBC on tv-, but it wont matter this year. Be nice to see some raptor playoffs though.

I knew what to expect, I expected 5 star Cuba and got 5 star Cuba, Let's be real people, don't expect 5 star Jamaica or DR. I was satisfied with the overall service and value of the resort and will likely continue to go again,, assuming my stay next week goes well(i guess that's a heads up).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeremy G
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear JenAbbott,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Ensenachos for your so valuable vacations.

Thank you very much for your good comments and suggestions we are working so hard to achieve our costumers expectations. On behalf the stores let me inform you that they doesnt belong to our hotel or management, we have sent a letter to the owners in order to express your suggestions. We are in a full change with the check in process in order to make it more easier to our future guest.Will be our pleasure if you decide to perform your wedding among us.
Hoping that you do decide to visit us in the future please accept our best regards

Carefully,

Brenda Correa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,040)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We travelled to this resort from March 29 -April 5, and stayed in a Spa room in building 21 which was close to everything and childfree. We decided to have our wedding at this resort in early 2015, so we wanted to check it out ahead of time. Also, we celebrated my fiancé’s 30th Birthday during the week. Almost everything was amazing, although there were some missteps which I will outline. Most of these issues we had wouldn’t have been a problem at lower end places, but were annoying because this place was so expensive in comparison to other places we have been in Cuba. Bear in mind that this was our 6th trip to Cuba, and first 5 star experience.

Hotel: Check-in process was not well thought out. We arrived at noon, were corralled into a hot conference room and none of the rooms were ready. Check in on the hotel’s website says 3pm, but when you get to the hotel it is 4pm. We were told to leave our luggage out in the open lobby until our room was ready which I didn’t love. The staff told us there was a room where we could change clothes and freshen up, but no one was able to tell us where it was located. We ended up in a public washroom by the spa pool while we were wandering around looking for the mythical room. Luckily there was a separate handicapped washroom which was large enough to change in. Check out was pretty quick and easy, but it was at 5am and there were no other guests around. The hotel grounds were lush and well kept. Lobby was clean and spacious and had lots of tables. There were SO many kids though and no matter where we sat, someone with a stroller would end up next to us giving us dirty looks for smoking around their kids. LOL! Luckily, we soon came upon the cigar bar attached to the lobby which was awesome (but not opened until 6pm.) Quiet, comfy chairs, and a fully stocked bar with bartender. Angel and Orlando at the cigar bar were outstanding. They made great conversation, and awesome drinks. For the public washrooms, I was always fortunate enough to end up in a stall with toilet paper, but because this seems to be a problem everywhere in Cuba I always carry a small pack of tissues with me anyways. The bank was so busy when it opened every day. I would suggest you change as much as you need on the first day. The bar tenders are pretty good about changing larger bills for singles if necessary. Disco downstairs was dead every time we passed by it. 1 ridiculous thing was the hours for the stores… they didn’t seem to have any kind of schedule. There is only 1 store on the resort, and I feel like it should be open most of the time. They close down in the middle of the day for a length of time that varies day to day. I feel like it might have been a lunch break, but since there were 4 people working in there, I have a hard time believing that they need to have lunch all at the same time. It was really inconvenient because I needed something twice when they were closed at noon. The cigar store also closes for no apparent reason. They have hours posted on the doors that don’t seem to mean anything to anybody. This is incredibly inconvenient and the hotel should address it. The lobby starts to get busy around 530 and we personally saw 20 people walk away because the cigar shop was closed. What a waste of business. Also irritating was the beach towel exchange. 9-5 are silly hours as we would always want to be settled somewhere by then. Also, there were days they did not have towels and no one seemed to know when they were going to get them. Normally, we would not have cared, but because of the leaky shower in our room which you will read about in the next paragraph, we had to use them to sop up the water in our bathroom. This meant that we didn’t have any towels at all for the day. I always felt like tips were appreciated but not required. On more than 1 occasion we had to insist that the staff member took a tip. It was kind of refreshing, because some other places we have been tipping was the only way you could get good service. I feel like the staff is aware that this resort is expensive for us, and that it is one of the nicest ones in the country, ergo they treat the guests better and expect nothing in return. I would suggest you tip well, as these people all work very hard and in addition to their time at work, they have a 3 hour round trip bus ride to get there.
Room: Our room on the spa side (adults only) 2110 was huge. The beds were so comfy and had lots of pillows. We did not like that they gave us a room with 2 double beds, I probably should have just requested a King sized bed ahead of time but I thought that since we had been in constant communication with the hotel for months about having our wedding there, that they would go the extra mile for us. Unfortunately I was wrong, so we pushed the beds together and made a giant bed which worked out ok except for the weird location of the wall sconce lights. The hotel should probably change the location of those lights because I imagine they get mostly couples to this resort, and most people would push the beds together. The room had a walk-in closet with a safe, and iron, and fresh robes. The balcony was quite large and had a table and 2 chairs Our bathroom was nice and big, but the shower leaked A LOT. This could have been fixed by putting the plumbing on the adjacent wall, but since the water is pounding on the poorly sealed shower door, your bathroom quickly turns into a swimming pool. Luckily we had no problem getting new towels every day. There is a card in your bathroom that explains the towel policy but here is a cliff’s notes version: If you want new towels, put your dirty ones in the tub. If you throw them on the floor, your maid will hang them back up to be reused. Our maid Yuleisa (I think?) was great. She kept the room spotless, and made us nice towel art every day. The mini bar guys always bept our fridge stocked with water, pop, and beer. 1 really silly thing was after we got into our room we realized our toilet did not flush properly. I called the front desk for a repairman, she said they would send one right away but no one ever showed up. We ended up fixing the issue ourselves, but we shouldn’t have had to because this is a 5 star hotel! Get it together. The rooms also have a 1L bottle of 3 year Havana Club rum included.
Beach (es): Gorgeous! At Megano, the shady spots filled up so quickly unfortunately. Again, there is no spot with no kids. No matter where we sat, we would end up with a family beside us. Would be nice for the hotel to consider building a beach boardwalk from the adults only side. I realize that it wouldn’t guarantee a childless portion of the beach, but I feel like the families would be less likely to walk that far down, making it a more enjoyable experience for everyone as I dislike hearing kids screaming just as much as those parents dislike our smoking and drinking. We took the cart down to Ensenachos 1 day and it was beautiful but again so busy. Both beaches had a bar with waiters that came up and down the beach taking drink orders, however the one day we went down to Megano, they ran out of beer by 1PM, and were still out at 3PM…. How? Why? Go get a keg of beer, problem solved. Only Megano had a restaurant, more on that later. There were lots of activities including hobie cat, volleyball, pedal boats, snorkeling. We found the best snorkeling was at the Punta Nautica, which is a small beach where they have their nautical center.
Pools: We spent the most time at the Spa pool. We have never been pool people, but this resort was different because of the adults only. It was so quiet, and serene. There was no fighting for chairs because there were plenty no matter what time of day we went. It felt very personal and intimate because the pool was huge, but there weren’t many people in it. There was also a Jacuzzi which we hadn’t seen before. It wasn’t hot like an actual Jacuzzi, but it was a little warmer than the pool. There was also another small pool beside the Spa, which was always empty. There is so much vegetation around the pool, that you can’t see the bungalows or walkways, so it feels like you have the place to yourself. The bar at this pool was great. They had a great selection of drinks, and they also send out wait staff to take your order as you enjoy your spot by the pool. Damaryis at the swim up bar was a great at her job, she was super friendly and organized. She went out of her way to assure they had the beer we like (Crystal) on tap.
Management: Buccanero is terrible. If you are going to tap a keg of it at the pool, please keep some cans of crystal available too. Lucky for us our favorite waiter Yaniel, at the pool restaurant collected some cans of Crystal for us so we were happy.
Food: Great selection at the buffet. The resort did lobster every other night which many of the guest enjoyed. We do not eat seafood, so it just kind of made the buffet exceptionally busy. There is also only 1 buffet which I would say is too small when the resort is at capacity. Parents need to watch their kids here, because the other guests are not babysitters and not everyone likes kids. Some of the kids were too short to be attempting to dish out their own meals, which made a mess for staff to clean up. Also, I am sure I am not alone when I say that I am not interested in eating food that these kids have touched with their hands and then put back in the trays. Also, people should explain to their kids what waiting in line is, because many of them thought they would just jump to the front. I gave more than 1 lesson about waiting your turn. Lucky for us we only had to have a few breakfasts and dinners at the buffet, the rest we were able to enjoy in the spa side restaurant. The spa side restaurant is adults only and doubles as the steakhouse at night. Mid-way through our week, they started offering breakfast there a la carte style. They had a small buffet offering of scrambled eggs and fruit, but they would make you anything you wanted in the kitchen and bring it to you. The bacon was well cooked and so good. We ate almost all of our lunches at the spa restaurant as well. Same deal as breakfast, small buffet offering including meats and salads, but the good stuff came out of the kitchen. Yaniel, our waiter here, was the best! We became friends with him and he really went above and beyond to make us love the resort. After a shaky first 2 days we were beginning to doubt our decision to have our wedding here, but Yaniel (as well as Erik from the steakhouse at night) made us fall in love with the resort. The Iberostar is very lucky to have staff members like Yaniel and Erik that care so deeply for the guests and it is because of them that we have decided to keep our plans as well to marry here. At night this changes to the Steakhouse a la carte. We LOVED it. Best meals we had there the whole week. Erik was so great and attentive. My wine glass was always full, and he was always going out of his way to ensure we were happy. We also tried the Italian A la carte, and we enjoyed it for the most part. I ordered chicken parm as my entrée and I have no idea what they made me, but it was terrible. The salad bar, pasta, and soups were great though. We went to the beach restaurant and Megano a couple times out of convenience and it was terrible. The map in your room says it opens at 11, but it doesn’t open till 12. The unfortunate part, is that they make and put out a lot of the food much earlier and everything is old and stale by the time you finally get to it at 12. The burger I got was really undercooked, and the fries were cold and inedible. Yuck. However, they had a great selection of Veggies which was nice. There was a room service menu, but we were told by some other guests not to bother because the food was either terrible, or you waited 2 hours, and it was still terrible… We never needed it anyway.
All in all we loved it here and are looking forward to celebrating the biggest day of our lives here on Feb 2, 2015 with 40 of our closest friends and family.
Here is my last rant: What is the deal with the ice situation? I always felt like I was begging for ice as they only put a few cubes in my drink, even when I asked for more. I would literally waste almost half of every drink because it got warm so fast. It was so wasteful. Obviously you need more ice machines because this is the only resort I have ever had an issue getting ice.

Room Tip: Adults Only upgrade is worth ever penny.
1 Thank JenAbbott
Dear Jeremy G,

All the staff and Management team at IBEROSTAR Ensenachos wants to thank you for sharing your comments and experience with us and other readers. We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy our services, specially the staff and the beach. We hope that you will enjoy this up coming vacations as last year.

Best regards,

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2014

After a really tough winter, we were so happy to return to this resort March 26 to April 3. We don't normally return to the same resort twice but had such a great time here last year that we began planning the return soon after getting home. The rooms are large and very clean with nice balconies ( although all "garden" view. Stayed on the Park side as children do not bother us at all and we like being nearer to the ocean. The setting is comfortable, quiet, and there is never a time that we don't feel safe, even when walking at night on the beach. Oh, those beaches! Great for walking and swimming with nice soft sand and relatively calm waters for swimming. We never have a problem finding food we like and, although I am not always excited by every a la carte meal, the experience is always positive and the service excellent. Same is true at the buffet where we found an even greater attention to service and detail this year. Entertainment was good and a lot of effort was put into the nightly shows. The grounds are very beautiful and well groomed but be aware that there can be a lot of walking at this resort and I would not recommend it for anyone with mobility issues. Overall a great revisit and we can hardly wait to come back again.

Room Tip: Take a look on google earth for a layout of the resort. Maps of the resort are also available online...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank maritimedreamer
Dear maritimedreamer,

Thank you so much for taking part of your time and write us about your recent stay at IBEROSTAR Ensenachos, we appreciate all your comments, we love that you have been a wonderful stay here among us, we work hard in order to all our guests feel themselves like home. We hope to have you again among us in the future.

Cordially,

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed from March 28 to April 5 in the family section.
First of all I'd like to say that if you don't speak french PLEASE try not to fly out of Montreal..Our family felt so loss and frustrated we were on a flight that only spoke french and the bus ride from the airport to the resort was all french(we were not impressed),but you live it and learn it and we won't be doing that again.
But the amazing week that we had was worth it.
The resort was beautiful but next time we will be upgrading to the spa section just because it is a little bit more kept up.
The staff was so friendly and always so happy and eager to help.
The beaches were out of this world and that is where we spent our days.We stayed on the Megano beach we must have walked it 4-5 times a day there was always something to see each time.
We did have a couple of runins with some very rude guests(Please when on the beach don't try to take peoples chairs and huts especially when they are in them how rude was that, some people just don't have any manners)
I thought the food was very good and I didn't go hungry not once actually I may have put on a bit of weight.
The drinks were ok.
The steak house was not the greatest, the itialian was wonderful,the sea food was amazing we made 2 trips there and again the staff was wonderful.
this is a very family friendly resort and that was nice felt very safe there.
we did a couple of day trips one that we did was a trip to the sugar cane plant and train ride and the musems shopping,lunch in santa clara...It was a very full day trip and it was soooo amazing and we learned about the real Cuba..the resort is not Cuba...its just a small part...It's a must do day trip that I think everyone must see when going to Cuba.
The week went by so fast that we hated to leave.
Again we had an all french bus ride back to the airport(not impressed)But we had V.I.P.tickets at the airport well worth it!
Overall it was a wonderful holiday and yes I would go again but this time we would fly out of a different city that speaks both english and french!!

Room Tip: If you have kids the block 3204 great choice. If you have no kids try the spa section and try the t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank crystal20142014
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear crystal20142014,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Ensenachos we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best,

Digby, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I were there March 19 to 26, 2014. It was our first trip to Cuba but not my last. We loved this resort. Very quite and peaceful if that's what you want. The only down fall of this vacation was the 1 hour 40 minute bus ride from the airport and it was not to bad as there is lots to look at driving through the different towns. We travelled with Air Transat so we also had to make a connection in Cayo Coco on our return. Would consider using a different airline with no connection just to go back to this resort again.
The food was great. We ate all the local seafood. We never once left the table hungry. If you are a fussy eater you may have some issues. The room was good. The beach was the absolute best. Bring your own mask and snorkel. Overall, yes I would go back.
Tanya, Digby NS

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank tanya m
Dear Tanya m,

Thank you very much for your good comments and reviews about the hotel, staff and services, opinions like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff.

Carefully

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was our 2nd time to Cuba and our first time to Santa Clara. If you travel as a couple, make sure to book the Spa Suite section. Buildings 20 and 21 were the best buildings, as you were close to the lobby, the spa and the spa section pool. We had room 2102, which was a two-level suite with a sitting area and powder room on the main floor and the bedroom with a king bed and four piece bathroom upstairs. The room was very clean and no bugs to be found anywhere on the property, as the place sprays regularly. The maid service daily was very good. We loved the spa section pool, as it was adults only. The pool area is blended in well with the palm trees and little bridges through out and very relaxing. The pool has a swim up bar and there is also a restaurant for lunch and turns into the a la carte Steakhouse for dinner. When the hotel is really full, this restaurant also serves breakfast.

We went to the Italian restaurant twice and the Steakhouse once. We liked the salad bar, the tomato soup and the spinach and ricotta cheese ravioli at the Italian restaurant. We also liked the staff at the restaurant, especially Amerito and Ladys. We weren't crazy about the Steakhouse restaurant, but we aren't that big into red meats, so maybe others would like it.
The rest of the nights we just went to the main buffet and if you enjoy fish or seafood, you would be happy. At the buffet, you could tell the cook what you want on your fish. Usually white wine, garlic and a dash of salt did the job. On Cuban night at the main buffet, they had plenty of fresh lobster and shrimp. Our friends really enjoyed it. The food was better than what we had in Varadero, but we didn't go to Cuba for the food.

The weather was wonderful, about 30 degrees every day and no rain. The hotel has two beaches. Megano beach is the closest beach, which is down a long walkway to a beautiful white sand beach that looked even more amazing with the light green water. The beach had many cabanas and chairs, so you could get shade if the sun was too much for you. This beach also had a beach restaurant with washrooms and bar with waiters that came to take your drink order. Lunch at the restaurant was very good. They had chicken on the grill, burgers, salads and more. The other beach is called Ensenachos beach. This beach is about a 20 minute walk or 5 minutes by golf cart. This beach is wider than Megano beach and has a bar with washrooms, but no restaurant. When you are ready to go back to the main hotel, you go to the bar and they will call for someone to pick you up or you can walk back.

The hotel has a theatre with nightly shows. The best show that we saw was the MIchael Jackson Show. This was amazing. They also had other dance shows that were quite good.

One of our favourite things about this hotel was the staff. They were so kind and went out of their way to make you happy. Dayker, Alexey, Samuel and Magda were a few of our favourites at the Lobby Bar. You have to have Dayker make you a nice cappuccino or cafe con leche.You also must try a traditional mojito or margarita made by either Dayker or Alexey. So good! The ladies will love Samuel (who is a student working at the hotel) as he is so sweet and such a cutie pie. Magda, Dayker, Samuel and Alexey were not just friends, but like family to my husband and I. We met so many people at the hotel who were repeat guests. They said they feel like they are coming home each time they return and that the STAFF really makes the difference. We can't wait to return. We told the general manager, Brenda, that there were only a few minor things that we would change, but that the STAFF was the best ever!!!

Room Tip: If you travel as a Couple you must book the Spa Suite section. Request building 20 or 21 to be the c...
Dear SueTO61,

On behalf of IBEROSTAR Ensenachos we appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear you have enjoyed your vacation at the SPA section and we will consider your suggestions in order to improve our service. If we can be of any further assistance please contact us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cordially,

Edmundston, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just got back Friday April 4th from a great 2 weeks at Iberostar Ensenachos. Let me start by saying that both beaches are out of this world. We would walk Megano every morning and then head out to Ensenachos to walk again and then take in some sun. The water was a clear blue colour with lots of fish right off the beach. We did some snorkeling and it was OK at best on Ensenachos side but the things we was on Megano was just amazing. Great starfish and conch shells were seen right off the beach and once we walk to the sunken ship and saw about 6 starfish.

We ate at the Italian which was very good, the international also very good, the seafood was also good and the steak house was just alright. As far as the buffet is concerned, it is my opinion that it is way too small for the size of the resort. There should be way more options on the buffet for all the meals. Yes we could always find something to eat, but it became very tiresome after a while. Again the food in the buffet was just alright.

Now what makes this resort what it is has to be the employees, I have never seen so many nice people on a resort like I've seen on this one. This was our 13th trip in an all inclusive resort and by far the best staff ever. From the gardeners to the animation staff to the pool staff to the wait staff. I have so many names to name and I'm afraid that I may miss some, but here I go just the same. Alberto at the adult's pool is a hard worker and keeps his pool clean and tidy. Danny and Naomi with the animation staff at the adults' pool are two really fun and nice people. Yulie and Juan C at the Ensenachos beach bar are great and friendly bartenders. Juan makes the best mojitos that I've ever had. Samuel at the lobby bar is a student and is a very good waiter. Hailen at the main buffet another great waiter. Osneil, Raidel, and Maidely at the buffet are very, very efficient friendly and very good at what they do. I usually don't like to say that these are our favourites, but this time I have no choice because of how awesome the next three people are and they are Danay, Eraicy and Yunior (Junior) at the buffet. These three people made our vacation and they are the reason why we would always go back to the buffet. Thanks guys and we miss you already.

Would we go back??? If we are to go back it's because of the people. Don't get me wrong, we loved the place but we want to see something else also. Overall we had a great time. Thanks Enenachos.

2 Thank pathfinder2001

#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
#9 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Iberostar Ensenachos? Share your experiences!