5,975 results
All reviews seafood italian restaurant main lobby santa clara a la carte restaurants golf cart spa area surf and turf family section dvd player snack bar cigar lounge beautiful resort adult pool bring a flashlight chicken other resorts
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had an amazing stay from April 5th to 12th. The resort is beautiful. Staff are friendly and always offering assistance and NOT ONCE so much as appeared to expect a tip. In fact.....all were very appreciative when given one.
Yes there are rude people in this world....but not the staff......that would be those tourists who have no manners to begin with. We enjoyed a lounger around the pool or at the beach .....in the sun or out....we always found a spot.
The food is absolutely fine!!!! There is always a selection to choose from and you won't leave hungry. No there is no ketchup......so? If you can't survive, bring your own. The buffet had lots of seafood .....lobster tails included....many choices of meats and cheeses .....cooked to order steak, chicken, pork etc. we had room service one evening.....it arrived quickly and was still hot.
Overall ....this resort was great and We would recommend it to anyone. We normally take at least 2, if not 3 trips a year. We have stayed at 5 star resorts all over.....this resort is right up there too. Remember....you go on vacation to relax, enjoy and experience another part of the world. We did that.....as did many others we met. Thanks for a great vacation......!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
13  Thank DaisyRisk
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Daisyrisk,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Ensenachos we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best,

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Cuba and we found this resort to be the best in many ways. We have mostly stayed at 5 stars so I think it is fair to compare to other resorts.
The grounds are absolutely the lushest and best kept of any resort we have been to in any country. The staff is fantastic and we were always given great service. We stayed in the Spa section and our room was comfortable and clean.It was large and had been recently updated. Our housekeeper did a great job and the mini bar was restocked daily.We did not have face cloths but this was not an issue for us

The fitness center was small but was more than adequate considering very few people seemed to use it . The equipment was new and kept clean and well maintained.The pools were also very nice but we mostly went to the beaches which are fantastic . Snorkeling off the beach was decent but there was no gear available. Luckily I had my own and really enjoyed the water. The only drawback was the lack of shade. A lot of cabanas had been destroyed in hurricane Sandy but were not yet replaced.We saw a lot of sunburned Canadians during our time there. The only way to be guaranteed a place in the shade was to show up before 8AM.Most cabanas were reserved by people who had gone early or the night before and placed towels on the lounge chairs.Both beaches seemed to be the same in this regard. One morning I arrived at 7:45 and got the last cabana even though there were less than a dozen guests on the beach.A lady who arrived a few minutes later could not find shade and was livid. She really lit into a guy that was working at the beach. Poor fellow kept his cool and let her say her piece. It was hot when we were there,temperatures were high twenties and low thirties. We had not been in the sun for a while and could not stay long without shade.

The food was what we expected for Cuba. Better than most places in Cuba but not as good as others . We ate mostly at the main buffet as we found this better tha the a la cartes or the beach grill. We always found something we liked and we both gained weight there.

We really enjoyed the high quality of music in the lobby bar each evening . Very relaxing and enjoyabe over a drink or two and a very beautiful lobby I might add.

We met several people who had been here multiple times. Three people we met had been there 10 times. I can understand why people would return here time and again . We would like to make this a regular destination since it fits our vacation style very well. Unfortunately we cannot return unless there is more shade provided. We didn't really like the dash to the beach in the morning to get a place in the shade. Except for this we would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank albar26

Dear albor26,

Thank you very much for this nice review. I will pass your words to all my staff. Yes, we have a lot of changes as you mentioned and it is an ongoing process that will never stop. We are glad that you had a good time and let me tell you that whenever you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Upside: The resort is top notch. Well kept grounds, food was awesome, staff was wonderful. Beaches were awesome too.
Downside: Resort is isolated and far from towns, so not easy to soak up "local" hospitality (It could have been anywhere in the caribbean). The french canadians were very rude, butting into cues at the buffet, not acknowledging greetings (unless it was bonjour), stealing lounge chairs at the pool if your child took his towel off. These were only the things WE witnessed and experienced. Very disappointing representation of Canada....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Colleen L

Dear Colleen L,

Thank you so much for taking part of your time and write us about your recent stay at Iberostar Ensenachos, we appreciate all your comments, we love that you have been a wonderful stay here among us, we work hard in order to all our guests feel themselves like home. We hope to have you again among us in the future and offer you even a better service

Regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Thanks to the positive reviews of this resort, it really helped us to decide where to go to Cuba and we were certainly not disappointed at the end except to leave. We cannot really mention any cons as we we new pretty much what to expect so the pros end up to make a great vacation and we really hope to return again when we can so better start saving NOW.
We enjoyed our building location 37, close to the pool, not far from the entrances to the two beaches and nice walk to the main lobby which was a good thing after the great meals from the buffet. The staff in all departments make this resort so memorable with warm smiles and friendliness. Special thanks to Geiney, Junior and Magdiel from the buffet and Junior, Janet and Andy from the entertainment staff. Of course Guerra and Sahari at the swim-up bar!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Cheryll M

Dear Cheryllm,

On behalf of the staff I want to thank you for giving us your comments about your experience at Iberostar Ensenachos. We are pleased to have given to you a great holiday and encourage us to keep improving our services. We will congratulate Geiney, Magdiel, Junior, Janett, Andy and Sahari for helping you to make your holiday special. We hope to offer you again our hospitality whenever you decide.

Regards,

Brenda Corrrea

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I visited IE for the second time in early March with my 2 sons. My first visit was in early January with my husband sadly I had to wait to post this review as TA only allows reviews every 3 months.

We stayed in the Spa section and had requested 3 beds since the single supplement for a second room was quite high. Upon arriving there were only the 2 double beds but with it being after 2am I decided I'd leave the issue until after breakfast. By the time we returned from breakfast the following day a cot had already been placed in the room without any mention to the hotel. We ended up with a wall of beds but it worked for us and we still had ample room to move around. There was no extra charge for the cot at checkout either so I was quite pleased.

A note to people considering upgrading to the Spa suites upon arrival- better to book from home as that area had no vacancy during our stay. They even had to upgrade a few people from the Spa suites to the Grand Villa's due to a shortage of rooms. The price of upgrading is also higher than booking at home.

There was a huge storm hours after we arrived and it stayed the entire first day. The lobby was flooding and the resort workers had a massive cleanup on their hands. They tied down the sun shades to stop the rain from coming in and it helped a great deal. The workers were all rerouting the water outside and within no time they had the lobby usable again. They really did a remarkable job in a very short amount of time. One of the workers said it was like "a mini hurricane", that is about as close to a hurricane as I've ever come but the way they attended to the issues made me confident in their facility if I ever find myself nearer to one while there.

Beaches - As always they were beautiful but after the storm Ensenachos was unrecognizable as the same beach I sat on in January. The amount of debris that washed ashore was massive. The cleanup was ongoing while we were there. Megano beach took less of a beating and it was therefore even busier than usual but we still found spots further down the beach. The bar service on the beach was as wonderful as ever. The only down side to the beaches was the bathroom at Ensenachos had no flush. Must have been a damaged water pipe or something because the shower to rinse off at the entrance was just dripping nonstop but had no further pressure. It still did the job, just a little slower. I would assume it had since been fixed.

Room - Pretty much identical to the second room we stayed in during our January trip in the Park suites. Large room with walkin closet that includes an umbrella (came in handy more than once), ironing board, iron (weighs a ton but does the job), combination safe, luggage rack, full length mirror and laundry bag with price list, if you're interested. The walkin is large enough to change in and as I was traveling with my sons we used it for this purpose several times. We had 6 pieces of luggage in there and there was still ample space. We had hot water every time we showered no matter the time of day and towels were in good supply. Just remember to put towels you want switched out into the bathtub or they assume you still want to use them. The beach towels also come supplied upon arrival in the room. We stayed in room 2120 and Nivia did a wonderful job keeping our room clean and well stocked.

Entertainment - As I was traveling with sons in their early twenties I didn't have the opportunity to sit in on many of Yilian's performances in the lobby bar but as I was delivering a package for her for someone else, I did manage to squeeze a few songs in. As always she was entertaining and so talented. The audience was definately pleased and I saw many people returning just for her shows. The lobby had regular entertainers such as a magician, clown and bands. The nightly theater shows were well attended but we only managed to catch one. We did manage to get in the finale of the Cuban show which runs on Wednesday and I will definately go to it if I get back. After the show the band and entertainers all formed a congo line and headed through the lobby picking up people as they went. Very upbeat song and a feeling of celebration. They led everyone down to Megano beach where a beach party awaited. They had neon signs and flashing lights along with a dj set up in the volleyball court just to the right of the beach grill/bar. A dance floor was defined by using a border of loungers and people were really enjoying the atmosphere. The bar was open and serving a steady stream of guests. Good music, warm breeze, stars in the sky and sand under your feet...can't get much better than that. I will most definately hit the beach party again, kids with me or not.

The only negative I could find was the disco, it smelled very bad of mold. Perhaps it was the recent rain but I couldn't spend any time in there without my eyes and nose itching. They perhaps need better ventilation and more lighting at off times to help prevent the growth. I really hope it is attended to soon as it is one of the few forms of entertainment aimed at the younger crowd. Keep in mind that the animation crew can also advise you on the times to visit the disco at the pueblos. We didn't go but heard good things about it.

Food - We arrived after 2am and were told food was available in the buffet if we were hungry. I didn't remember food being available that late in January but I was assured this will be ongoing. The person in the buffet offered to cook my son some lobster and he was thrilled. Food was great everyday, there was always plenty to choose from and I am a fussy eater. Not sure why some people complain about the food because it is more than edible. There were lobsters available in the buffet at least 4 times throughout the week, I didn't notice it in January because I don't eat it but my son was loving it! They had stuffed green peppers on occasion, made to order fried rice, made to order pizzas that are amazing (don't care for the pizzas in the beach grill though), multiple types of fish made to order as well as prawns, beef, pork and chicken. Lots of salad items, breads and desserts. We took a day trip to Santa Clara and ate at a buffet there that was clean and the food was edible. It was extremely bland but not disgusting. What amazed me was that so many people on the trip were saying they wished they had that quality of food in their resorts. Scared me to think what some of the buffets were like where they stayed.

A la cartes- We ate in the Steak house twice and it was comparable to any good restaurant here in my city. I had the chicken in smoked sauce and it was very tasty and tender. One of my sons had the top sirloin and it was cooked to perfection. Both were served with one small slice of potato which I suppose is fine if you have your starters and desserts, otherwise I think you'd leave hungry. The cheescake wasn't like home and personally I didn't enjoy it very much but my sons thought the brownie was amazing. The second visit my sons sent the steak back to cook a bit more but it came back just fine and the staff were very understanding and polite about it. The rest of our trip was taken up by day trips so we didn't have an opportunity to try any others.

Pools - The pools were packed this time around probably due to the colder weather but we still managed to find 3 loungers together. We spent some time in the "hot tub" which was at best luke warm but a drink in hand and the company of some other friendly guests and it was all good. Didn't dare to dip my foot into the pools because of the cool winds but I saw a few people using it so it couldn't have been terrible.

Staff - Saved the best for last. As I experienced in January this resort is most blessed with the largest group of genuinely happy, polite and friendly people around. So many of them remembered me, I suppose because I was there a short 2 months ago but it still speaks volumes to their sincerity based on how many faces they must see each week. Even those I hadn't had long conversations with remembered me and stopped to say hello. I sought out a few workers (because of the impact they made on my first trip) just to say hello and each one offered a warm hug and kiss on the cheek. Lisbet in customer relations was again so helpful and she is always a pleasure to talk to. Roberto the bellhop was and is still amazing, great guy to chat with. We had our favorite servers in the buffet as well and tried our best to sit in their areas when possible. Sadly the only name coming back to me at the moment is Pavel, perhaps because he stopped to chat with me daily even if we weren't in his section. He was definately one of our favorite servers. Mary, one of the servers in the lobby made the most amazing Miami Vice drinks, even better than the bartenders. Ginny was only there a couple of times at her omelette station and I missed her. I found her to be one of the most efficient cooks during our stay in January. Marcel in the animations crew was fantastic and made every effort to keep my sons informed of activities and entertained, can't say enough good things about him.

Final thoughts- When I booked this trip I worried about choosing this resort because of the ages of my sons. I had been advised to try Las Dunas but ended up booking at IE again and I think I made the right choice. We met so many people on day trips and at the airport going home that had horror stories about the food, fights, thefts from safes and general lack of services at their resorts that my sons were glad I booked IE, they didn't feel let down once. The only thing they said was that they wished there were a couple more things available like the beach party. I had the sense that it is in Brenda's agenda to try and cater to all the age groups in the future. The addition of the beach party is hopefully just one of the steps in that direction.

Having read over some recent reviews I am surprised at the lack of accurate information being fed to people. Please DO NOT take loonies and toonies to tip with. If it is all you have of course it is better than nothing but the resort workers are unable to do anything with them aside from asking other travelers to exchange them. Cuba does not accept any coins, leave them at home or in your wallet unless it is all you have at the moment. Also, we've always tipped because we felt it was deserved, I've never felt like anyone at IE expected a tip..

The only shortages I found during this trip was the lack of butter and paper towels. I'm sure you'll read plenty of reviews complaining about it but in all honesty the resort does what it can. They provided plenty of oils, cream cheese etc to use in place of butter and also 2 rolls of toilet paper in the paper towel holder. Ok so it isn't perfect but really... why would you let the lack of butter and paper towels ruin a vacation you spent good money on? Many others complain because the resort has changed from an adults only to a family one. There are the spa suites or Grand Villages area if you prefer and I can't understand why people would book at a resort that allows children and then complain about it later. If you hate kids then stay in those areas entirely or book somewhere else. The resort can't make the kids disappear just because you booked it hoping nothing has changed. If that isn't what you want to do then book somewhere else. You can't buy an apple and expect it to taste like an orange.

My daughter is owed a trip and it will possibly be in early May and if she decides she wants to visit this area I won't even bother looking elsewhere. I'll book IE without a second thought.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Tracey W
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Tracey W,

On behalf of Iberostar Ensenachos we appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We will forward your review to our animation staff & service, they will feel proud to read their names and knowing that they helped to make your vacations better. If we can be of any further assistance please contact us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cordially,