“Nice!!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cayo Ensenachos
Ontario
“Nice!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Travelled to Ensenachos week of Feb 22 - Mar 1 2013. Booked through West Jet out of Toronto, as always a pleasure. Joel our Rep was fanastic!
This was our second trip to Cuba, having stayed at Playa Pesquaro in Holguin 2 years ago. (which I loved and almost returned to)

Prior to arriving I had emailed Brenda the manager, requesting room location and a cot for our 7 year old. She answered me promptly and all my requests were made :) Thanks Brenda!!!

The trip from the airport was nice....good scenery. You could buy beer at the airport, bathroom on the bus :) Trip took about hour and half.

Arrived at hotel, taken to a room where we were given Champagne and a form to fill out. Once filled, we were given an envelope with room assignment and keys. I have to say this was the most efficiant way of checking in I have ever experienced, anywhere!!! Took about 10 - 15 mins tops!!! Excellent!

The grounds are very beautiful and lush. Very well manicured! Kudos to the ground staff.....try and tip these gents, as I am sure they are over looked. They always have a smile for you.
You will notice a smell that to me was constant. I think the fact the this resort is built on swamp land is the culprit. Some days it smelled like sewage.....I got past it.

We stayed in bungalow 39 in room 3923. Now it says noone has an ocean view....well I looked over the balcony to my right and there is Megano Beach with ocean view!!! Awesome :)
Rooms were very nice for Cuban standards. Large, bright and clean. We had clean towels everyday, fridge restocked with beer and water daily. *WARNING* If you have small children don't let them start the shower themselves....the taps are very toucy and that hot water is HOT!!
Our maid Meylaina (hope I spelled that right), was very nice.

As said before this resort is very large! With small children be aware of all the walking. Bring your stroller if you have one. I have a seven year old and after walking to the buffet 3 times a day she got a bit tired of it. There are golf carts that will go by periodically so you can hitch a ride.

**NOTE About the golf carts*** They share the same narrow walking path. They can be driving a little too fast. We were actually on a golf cart when the driver ran over a guys foot!!! Actually he stopped on the guys foot. He was screaming and yelling. My husband got off and lifted the cart over. (to the older couple who just sat there and didn't move off the cart or get off at all to assit, shame on you!!!) My husband ran to get ice and had issue with getting it from the pool bar. I think the guy was okay, we saw him the next day. So from that day on whenever a cart came by we would say "Watch your toes!!!"

The beaches - Are very nice...think Wasaga Beach ,(for you from Onatrio), of the Caribbean. Long white sandy beach very shallow. The snorkelling was just okay. Nothing really to see at Ensenachos beach other than the odd star fish. Megano Beach had better snorkelling off the the left. If snorkelling is a big part of your vacay then this is not the place for you.
If you want a shade spot you have to get up earlier than 6am. There are no Palm trees so you need a palapya. LOL I went down one morning at 6:15 thinking for sure I would get one this day! Nope, all gone. Instead I grab the only spot I could find with possible shade.....inbetween piles of seaweed and debris left over from Hurricane Sandy.

The Pool - We only went to the family pool. It was fantastic! The water park for the kids is great. Water was warm lots of kids which was good for my only child to make friends. (this is where she wanted to be the whole trip) The pool bar was awesome, staff friendly and quick. Give them a tip and they will keep the drinks coming!!

The Food - Bring your own ketchup if you and the kiddies like. We did and had several requests to borrow! I am sure ppl would have paid for it! LOL We also brought peanut butter.
As said in previous posts there was no butter for the week we were there, which is really not a big deal.
I myself didn't like the food much. What I did like to eat, (the pasta and fresh grilled meats) were to much of a pain to wait in the real long line ups. The staff are friendly but someone really needs to reorginize how the food is laid out and served. The pasta chef....doing I bowl at a time while there is a line of 20 ppl??
The Pizza Chef - EXCELLENT!!!! We would order our own pizza and he would bring to the table every night. Don't know his name as he didn't have a tag, but Good job!! :) My daughter loved the pizza.

Didn't do any excursions so I can't comment on those.
Lobby was nice. Entertainment was entertaining. Coffee was good, cocktails good.

The kids club with Lety was fun for the kids....maybe a bit more variety is needed, as by the end of the week was getting old.
Bring a flash light and go down to the beach at night and look for hermit crabs!
Bring your own beach towels....4 days before we got new ones and you do this at the family pool at small hut. Bring your own snorkelling gear.
Enjoyed our stay. Would recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Canadiangurl42
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Canadiangirl42,

On behalf of all our staff at Iberostar Ensenachos we would like to thank you and your family for choosing our hotel for your vacations. We are glad to know that we were able to make your days with us wonderful. I will forward your review to our animation team & service., they will be happy to know that you remember them and their services. I would like to thank you as well for your nice words about my assistance. Also I want to make a higlight of somethings as the snorkel gear, yes it is better to bring yours, ketchup, butter still without and waiting an aswer of the Cuban Gov., the laundry was broken x 2 days that it s why we get soem problems to change the, and last but not the least the carts, yes they know that they are not in the INDI circuit and accidents could happend if they do not take care and put attention and beside they could lost the job the most important it is that they can injure someone.

We hope we can welcome you back in the future, I am sure we will meet again.

Cordially,

Brenda Correa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,012)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Humboldt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We were missing the beach, the weather, the people, and the food as soon as we got home – what a great vacation! The beaches were the best I’ve been to, though to be honest, there haven’t been all that many because we’ve just started to travel. Our Cuba experience has been more than adequate – we loved it.

The resort is huge and sprawling – not a problem for me, as I love walking. The best beach (with the best mojitos) was the farthest away. That said, they are only too happy to have you jump on one of their little carts that run around the resort, or call their little van for you. There were quite a few palapas taken down by Hurricane Sandy, so we made sure we got down early in the morning to get one. The water was so clear, and the fish swam around our legs. So neat!

The food was great. I don’t like spicy, so I’m fine in Cuba. We’ve been trying to watch what we eat and vacations are generally tough. Well, there was way more than enough to choose from… and we did gain a few pounds! Breakfast was my downfall – fresh-made crepes every morning? So good! My husband liked the omelet station. The a la cartes were good, the Mediterranean being my favorite. And Cuban bread, I don’t know what it is that makes it so good, but it’s fantastic.

We were on a two-week vacation, and I would not recommend a seven-day stay here unless you just want to veg on the beach – which is OK, but there is just so much to do, and being on the island, most things take up a whole day. The little gal (Edenny we miss you!) who manned the desk at the Cuban-run Transgaviota Tours office in the hotel was so-o-o-o good. She made sure that we knew what all the tours involved and got us in on tours that interested us the most. Hands down the best was the ball game in Santa Clara! I’m not a big ball fan to the extreme, but it was so exciting, and those Cubans love their ball. Our tour guide managed to find a shop that sold the team T-shirts and caps, and when we wore them on the resort, we were constantly given the thumbs up, and many of the workers wanted to talk about the team.

Our room was very nice; nothing spectacular, but it was clean and spacious and our maids were very good. We were in one of the units fairly close to the main building, and close to the adult pool. We never went to the family pool, but I’m positive our grandkids would have enjoyed it. It was huge and had lots of play structures. Being that the resort is so big, and we stayed away from the family pool, we never really saw kids much, except for at the buffet. And there were lots of them!

The people on the resort were so accommodating and friendly. The absolutely only downfall about our stay, was outside communications. We found out after we returned home that my brother had a heart attack. (Everything seems fine now.) My daughter tried to contact us every way she could think of. We had left her contact info for the hotel, and she tried calling, emailing, contacting our carrier (Sunwing) and our travel agency. Nothing worked. No one could get through. There wasn’t much we could have done anyway, b/c I doubt we could have just jumped on a plane home, but just a warning to tourists going to Cuba -- not much by way of outside contact during your stay.

All in all, I highly recommend this resort!

11 Thank Brenda F
Dear Brenda F,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Ensenachos we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best,

Welwyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

February 16 ,2013 , my husband, daughter, her boyfriend and myself stayed at Iberostar Ensenachos for a week. We arrived later at night.We were greeted by friendly staff, and checking was very fast. A porter gave us a ride to our room, carried our bags to our rooms, and showed us how everything worked, and made sure we were settled. Great way to start out. We stayed in the family area. It was about a ten minute walk to the restaurant and lobby .The buffet was open late at night so we could get a bite to eat. In the daylight we could see how beautiful the grounds were. Very beautiful, and kept tidy.Everyday we saw gardeners out working. One was always smiling and friendly every time we walked past him.The beaches were amazing. Megano beach was the closest to us. Very nice, and we enjoyed the long walk along the beach. Snorkeling was great at this beach. Lots of starfish. First beach we have been to that they bring you drinks all the time. Later in the day we always headed to the pool, and always two men who worked at the pool made sure you got lawn chairs where ever you wanted them.Super nice guys. The swim up bar was nice and great bar tenders there. All the a la Cartes were good ,but we were just as happy to eat at the buffet, the selection was great. Breakfast was our favorite time at the buffet. The fresh donuts were super good.Lots of selection ,omeletes and pancakes made for you as well. One day we went on a catamaran trip. It started with a dolphinerium, which was a great time. Then the catamaran takes you snorkeling and takes you to a nice beach on an island for some free time. This trip is worth taking in.You can walk to the dolphinerium from the resort, and just pay to go there if you want. Either way it is a nice place. We also took a double decker bus to a nearby town and resort to go to a market. This was nice to go to as well. Some stores, restaurants, etc. No pressure from merchants. The rest of the time was spent at the resort. A very relaxing and very beautiful place to stay. Our rooms were very nice. Can't really think of anything negative about Iberostar. All the staff are very friendly and things are very beautiful. Would go back in a heart beat.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Cases
Dear Mr. Cases,

Thank you very much for this nice review. I will pass your words to all my staff. Yes, we have a lot of changes as you mentioned and it is an ongoing process that will never stop. We are glad that you had a good time and let me tell you that whenever you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Montreal, Quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Like others already told this is a good place to stay, location is awesome, and beaches beautiful.
We were at the villas which is a really quiet place to stay but we didn’t had the quality of service we expected.
First the hot tub on the balcony wasn't working for the ALL week we were there and I think it's a shame since it was one of the main advantages to be in the villas.
If you go to the villas you should also be prepared to wait for the bus to come pick up you at lobby or at the villas on the way back. During the night (9pm to 9am) they use golf cart and after midnight we often had to wait for the battery to charge up!! Unacceptable when you have 6 of them (charging at the same time) and people can only rely on them to go from the villas to the other hotel services... More than the empty hot tub, we had a few other thing missing in the bedroom, I asked for a coffee maker for the all week but never seen it, other villas also had a microwave but we didn't and we didn’t manage to get it either even after multiple asks to the butlers.
When we realized that we will never have the hot tub with water in it we tried to take a bath but no sink stopper in the bathroom despite a large bath tub and some bath salt let there for your, this is the only thing the butlers could fix for us, find a sink stopper!
I also had difficulties to change my beach towels for the first half of the week, each time I went to the office for that they told me to see someone else who didn’t had clean towels either.
If you want to go to the beach and enjoy palapas for some shade you should get up at 6am and go “reserve” some space; most of the people put towels on the chairs and come there for a couple hours in the afternoon, I found this practice to be unrespectfull of the other guests but the hotel is not for some much in that even if they could prevent it.
On a more positive side, I really enjoyed all my meals. I was really surprised by the quality of the food for an hotel in Cuba, the buffet was really good with diversity and quantity.
The specialty restaurant are good but almost all offer the same dishes and there was each night at least 2 choices unavailable on the card. Like someone also said there was no butter or white wine for the entire week and you can’t find ketchup or sauce in a place where they serve fries everywhere.
There were a few other things that bothered me (unavailability of cash at the change office, waiting time for drinks at the main lobby, difficulties to find a suitable time for your specialty restaurant booking) but I tried to ignore these problems and I nonetheless managed to enjoy my vacations.
The conclusion is that if you want to enjoy your stay you’ll have to plan everything from transportation to chair reservation on the beach and planning my days during my vacations is not my way to relax.

Room Tip: We had a villa but no hot tub for the ALL week. Be sure to check for that when you arrive
6 Thank Jahul
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stay at this resort a short time and can not wait to go back !

Its a very large resort & the grounds are well kept .

I stayed in the Spa section , there are 3 sections Spa, Park & Villas .
The beaches are glorious, Megano being closest .
Had amaziing walk at Ensenochos beach.

The lobby is large and plenty of room , great orchestra at night.
The is a large variety of FRESH food , many items that I usually do not see at other Cuban resorts (Stawberries, Passion fruit , figs etc) .

My beautiful room was very clean , well stock with cold drinks in fridge ,
I love to walk and loved just walking around admiring the well kept gardens and different birds as well as butterflies I could spot.

I willo be back for a longer stay as well as refer friends & family to this jewel in Cuba .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank jememoi
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Robin s,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Ensenachos we would like to thank you for your nice review.I am so glad to know that you have enjoyed your 30th anniversary among us and you felt that you were in paradise. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best,

Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

ABSTRACTS:

Best beaches ever
Nice resort with functionnal and clean rooms
No butter, ketchup and amaretto !!!
No WiFi
No hand dryers.  Hand papers are tinner than toilet paper !!!
2.5 km between Grand villas and Main lobby
Priority booking at specialty restaurants when you stayed at Grand Villas.  Other sectors get the rest of the time slot available.
Overall, I will not return to this resort.

Pros are below:

I stayed for one week in the Spa area and at the same time, my brother was in the Grand Villas sector. There is only one  minivan that covered the 2.5 km distance, back and forth, all day long.  You might have to wait up to 15 minutes for it.

Being my tenth time in Cuba, I know pretty much about food and the expectation you must have about it.  But NO butter all week long? Come on, this is nothing to do about embargo of any kind.  It is a planning problem, that's it!

Of course, the food... Available....was as good as somewhere else in Cuba.  The buffet thowth, offered the narrowest choice of food within the 5 stars resort category.  All specialty restaurants had at least, 2 or more choices not available the night we went in! Japanese restaurant is still closed.

I've tried, as mentionned by himself, to reach the manager!  I went through the usual Cuban answers: don't know, maybe, come back, go to client services offices (which was closed, obviously) and only to discover that she was in Havana! perhaps contributing to the problems at the resort, or the lack of having them addressed.

This is a wide spread resort. For those with mobility problems, it is a major issue.  But if you want to get in shape by walking,  this is the place to be. Access to the Nagano beach needs  a walk of a little bit less than half a kilometer and finishes with a 20 inches step.  Access to the Ensenachos beach will required that you step on two plywood boxes of approximatly 20 inches of height.

In all the resort's restroom, there is hand dryer that are not functionnal.  As a replacement you will find hand papers that are tinner than toillet paper.  Just try to figure it out for one second.  No you can't wipe your hands with it.

Even if the Iberostar pamphlet saids so, there is NO WiFi!

PROS
One of the best beach I ever seen (but with a lot of sea weed!) Almost like Playa Pilar in Cayo Guillermo!

The Spa section is made of 24 appartments on two story building, located around a nice internal garden.  My room (2621) was beautiful, clean with a nice bathroom with hot tub and shower.  All the equipment were functionnal.  The building itself is pretty isolated so you are not annoyed by the sound coming from the main building.

There was a large variety of animations of all kind (magician, clown) and the shows in the auditorium were very professional at all night.  It was not at all like the usual amateur shows that you often see in Cuba.

Overall, this resort is not up to the Iberostar standards and I will not come back.

FINAL TIP: When you gonna be tagged during your check-in, just flip your bracelet upside down.  E-mail me if you want to know why ? lol

Room Tip: My room 2621 was perfect
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank GiacomoJG
Dear Giacomo JG,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Ensenachos we would like to thank you for your review. However, we feel sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectation. We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction. Actually I want to make some highlights starting with the butter, ketchup,amaretto,towel paper and kleenex, well you are correct it is not always for the Embargo that we do not get the things but just per your information almost the 85% of the products are imported and we as hotel sent with 1 year ahead of time our planification to the Cuban company that it is the one provide us all the supplies as the hotel does not have any permit to do not, we always have to do it in this way, but yes we could not give you the servcie and I do apologize. Yes, you are correct the Japanese restaurant still closed. Per the Wifi we are almost at the end of the paper work to get it hope like in 2 more months we can have it. Beach itis on a daily basis cleaned per an external company and supported by our gardeners when we have tons of seaweed as happened in this days, jsut pe ryour knowledge when we have the norths all seaweed come to the keys and saty like 2-3 days to take it out as the waves bring it all day. What concernes me it is the comment that you have done on behalf the bracelet to turn it up side down and take profit for the Grand Village section, just to inform you and I guess you were with your parents getting down the van that I took that day during mid day, your sister if I am correct she has married here at the hotel asked the permission to have to there. So I really hope that you enjoyed the services of that part of the hotel, just to inform you that our employees at the Grand Village when they see something strange or a guest that does not have the right bracelet they know what it is the procedure to oriented our guest to the correct side of the hotel that they have book.We do hope, to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable. If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best

Kind Regards

canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Wow. What can I say about this resort!!! It is awesome!!! Stayed Feb24-Mar 3
Check in: kinda slow, our rooms were not ready yet, but we got there around 1pm and check in is not really until 3pm. So we went to the Buffet for something to eat and when we were done, our room was ready and the lady at the desk was very nice..I over heard one person being very rude with the man at the desk all because the two rooms she booked were not next to each other, note to this person, give them respect and you might have got want u wanted..
Rooms: are BIG, and clean...lots of hot water and our maid Madeline kept our room very clean and made us towel art everyday..Fridge always had water and drinks..tip( I always place a peso in the fridge with a little note to say thank you)
The lobby was very nice, with music every evening..never seemed over crowded..Drinks were really good and always a staff member to get your drink for you..Entertainment was good, only went to 2 shows but very well done!!!
Beach was Awesome!!! Never really had to get up to get a drink, they came to you..you could even give them your personnel mug and they would fill that for you, and bring it back..Great service!!!
Hard to find shade, people actually got up at 6am to reserve there chair( not the way I want to spend my vacation).There are staff on the beach that will get you a chair and place your towel on it for you..again great service!! There are 2 beaches but we were only on the Megano one..
Pools: went to both the spa pool and family pool, both very nice with swim up bar and grill at both..spent most of our time at the spa pool though, but family pool had lots of activity for kids and adults..
Food: Really I don't know how anybody can complain about the food, one it's cuba, they can not always get everything they need, they usually rely on container ships( which could get delayed ).. The week we were there they had no butter, no big deal they had jam and cream cheese( if this is something that can ruin your trip well I feel sorry for you) sometimes no matter where u are you have to make due... I have a VERY sensitive stomach and I ate just fine and never got sick once, and let me tell you I ate a lot while down there..they had everything you could think of...chicken, fish, lobster, beef, and my husbands favourite pasta!! Lots of fruit, yes some of it is canned but its still fruit.., veggies, rice, potatoes, I could go on, but you get what I mean..You will not go hungry!!
Oh and breakfast in the morning was awesome!! Toaster is a bit slow, but really what are in a hurry for:). staff in the buffet was awesome!! If you sit in the same spot everyday the staff will remember you..
Beach/pool grills are good..we had lunch everyday at one, again great service there also!!
El A Carts: we only did the Steak house and it was very good and fast service!! Tip: book them has soon has you get the key to your room, they fill up quick..
The staff at IE are TOP NOTCH!!!!! They are always saying hola or asking if you need anything!! They also don't expect tips, but if you can,"tip",they work very long days and nights and I assume probably don't spend a lot of time with there family because they are working so much( put your self in there shoes)...
Would I go back to this resort 200% YES!!! And I hope to next year!!!
Please don't listen to the few negative comments that are on here..( those are just people who are hard to please). This is defiantly a 5 star resort for Cuba...
Again 2 thumbs up for the staff!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 34 in the park suites.. Very nice not really a far walk and really close to th...
17 Thank buttercupcanada
Dear Buttercupcanada,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Ensenachos we would like to thank you for your review. I will fwd the review to Madeline your maid and teh staff at he beach they will be happy to know that you have mentioned as per their work during your stay. Also let me inform youthat we are just waiting some amterial missing to start making new shadows down the beach. Unfotuantely soem other things as the butter run out of our hands as the container that Cuba has ordered has not arrived. But I am happy that this little things does not bother you to enojoy your vacations and precious time in our beautiuful beaches. If you decide to come back, please do not hesitate to contact our guest relation manager.

Wish you all the best

Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
#12 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
3.5 of 5 bubbles 6,375 reviews

Been to Iberostar Ensenachos? Share your experiences!