“great beach- bring a flashlight !”

Iberostar Ensenachos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cayo Ensenachos
“great beach- bring a flashlight !”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The complex is very nice the beach is a dream if only they could organise the kitchen and the lighting system they would acheive their star rating. we visited this hotel jan 26 th t0 feb 3rd, every night we had to go to the front desc and request that someone turn the lights on the walkways . I almost was hit by a service kart that had no lights on in the complete darkness of the walkways. The buffet was very ordinary to mediocre. Line ups every morning at the egg station and at the pasta station at night. The beach snack bar was our favorite. Freshly made pizzas and burgers. Personel was very freindly and tried their best to make our stay pleasent. The a la carte restaurants where unaccessible up on arrival we whent to book and the only supper available where after 20:30. We walkked by the restaurants many times at earlier hours and there was many empty tables. Freinds stayed an extra week and told us upon return the the food situation only got uglyer on the second week.
We paid over $1300. for this trip and expected more from Iberostar

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank gecalodu
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Gecalodu,

Thank you very much for this review. I will pass your words to all my staff. Yes, we have a lot of things to improve as you mentioned and it is an ongoing process that will never stop. We are glad that you had a good time and let me tell you that whenever you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact us.

With all my best,

Brenda Correa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,042)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I chose Sell off vacations as our agent and chose a trip to Cuba and the Iberostar Ensenachos as our destination.
Best decision as a new couple, from the Airport in Santa Clara to the resort on Cayo Ensenachos the bus ride was entertaining with Manuel as host, 90 mins ride.
Room was ready and very inviting, clean and well appointed. Buffet restaurant food and service was very good and all staff were cordial. Kudos to super Cesar and his counterpart who I am drawing a blank to his name.
The 2 beaches are fabulous and compares to anywhere I have been.
We have nothing but great things to say about this resort and will most definitely return in the near future.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank bumpyj
Dear Bumbyj,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Ensenachos for your so valuable vacations.

Thank you very much for your good comments and reviews about the hotel, staff and services, opinions like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff.

Hoping that you do decide to visit us in the future please accept our best regards

Carefully

Toronto
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

third trip to cuba and first to santa maria area.

booked ensenachos Becuase we wanted something more private then the busy santa maria beach area. sure we paid more but the 200 to me is worth it.

flight

canjet ..kinda ghetto. .id probably try with a a different airline if I decide to come back to the area

airport

out of toroto it was fine..coming home was a mess..u leave 5 hours early from thr resort to get to thr airport 3 hours early...then wait in massive lines for 2 hours..brutal

bus ride was ok..sure its 1.5 hours but ok...the whole travel will leave u exhausted ..coming and going.

resort

room was a good size...nothing over the top..I guess we just had the reg room..that said it had everythjng we need and was always super clean
food
this is cuba! ! but by cuba standards this resort shines...not amazing but haf some great al la carte dinners..seafood and International standed out..steak house and Italian werent good..
buffet was good as long as u arnt to picky..pizza was good..omelltees in the mornijg great. ..guys cooking fresh meats in the grill also nice
entertainment - watched one show..ok...we arnt big into that..usually have a late dinner and a couple drinks in the lobby ans call it a night

people 80% french candians rest mix of Canadians and Europeans. .. some of the french are quite rude and the staff take their bs with a smile ( seem to love people from Toronto though hehehe)
mostly old people..some familes..we felt young at 31!!
if your looking to party. ..then this is not the place for u

staff
excellent. ..really know to to treat there guests
pool ..nice and big..we only chilled at the pools for about 2 hours total all week. ..
beaches... amazing. .megano was busier ..more kids and had more stuff going on..ensenachos was whiter and gorgeous. .I really enjoyed both and loved how their is only this resort on the whole island!!
water was a little coolo..which is normal for this time of year..still very enjoyable! !

snorkeling - weak compared to other places in the carribean...I consider myself a pretty well traveled snorkeler and I wouldn't go back if u are someone that likes to dive or snorkel.
e hooks and tackle for the locals..chat with levin ..hes the air transit rep at the hotel and he knows the area well

hobiet cats were fun paddles boats. angel was a cool guy.
room sere was a nice touch and liked the drink service on the beach.

this is cuba so your expected to tip..and I have no problem with it esp with the service provided.

overall we had a great time and if we were to come back to cuba..id likely come back here if goin duirng prime fishing season...if not ill stick with aruba..Jamaica. .roatan. .turks.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank speeeeeee
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Speeeeeee,

Thank you so much for taking part of your time and write us about your recent stay at Iberostar Ensenachos, we appreciate all your comments, we love that you have been a wonderful stay here among us, we work hard in order to all our guests feel themselves like home. We hope to have you again among us in the future and offer you even a better service.

Cordially,

Dartmouth
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I travelled to Iberostar Ensenachos from Halifax on Sunwing January 24-31 2013. It was our second visit and despite a 4-hour delay leaving Halifax and a few days of cloudy weather, we had a great trip. I had emailed the resort ahead of time requesting a second floor room in Bungalow 41 or 42 and got exactly what we wanted. Though in our sixties and travelling without children, we prefer the family section and found it quiet on both visits. Here's a few highlights and suggestions based on our latest visit.

Beaches - We love to snorkel, and you can snorkel off both beaches at Ensenachos. Megano has a semi-submerged barge that you can wade out to at low tide, or you can potter around the western end of the beach where the pelicans hang out. At Ensenachos Beach, you can walk or snorkel along the little promontory just past the bar. We brought bread from breakfast, tore it up into an empty water bottle, filled it with water at the beach, and then squirted shots of bread crumbs - fish loved it. There's nothing too exotic but always something to see. At Ensenachos Beach, we found you could smell a marshy odour at low tide in the spots nearest the bar - best to move on down the beach a little.

It's about a 10-minute walk to the pool grill to eat. When we were there last year in March lunch was served at the Pirates (sp?) restaurant, but it was not open til dinnertime in January of this year. Not sure it will be open later in the season.

Lobby area - The other thing we love about Ensenachos Resort is the lobby entertainment. Early in the evening there are musicians from the local area who are quite talented. There is also often a piano player inside the bar. We found all the bar tenders quite attentive, never had too long to wait. We got in the habit of waiting til after breakfast to have our coffee, and relaxing in the big sofas with a cappachino before starting our day.

Currency - We have been south several times and usually have an airport routine where one of us waits for the luggage while the other changes money but this time our bus was ready to roll quite quickly so we waited until we got to the resort. Exchange rate is about the same in any case, near par. Though Cdn credit cards are accepted, banks do charge a surcharge to convert any foreign currency, so we brought enough Canadian currency to allow us to convert and pay cash at the shop. You can change currency in the bank downstairs from the lobby, or at the desk in the lobby office if the bank is closed. It's a good idea to have some coins on hand when you arrive (Canadian is fine) for the washroom attendant at the airport, and to buy beer for the bus ride.

Eating - As soon as you have your room number, you can book your a la cartes at the office next to the bank, down the marble staircase in the lobby. A la carte service is attentive but not overly. I have found some resorts overdo the formal service in the a la cartes (while serving the same food as the buffet) but we found the service and presentation here just right.

The buffet is fine, we always found something to eat. This is a buffet, basically a very nice cafeteria when many people are served quickly. We had nothing to complain about. We often lunched at the pool grill and had the calmari several times. Only once was it overcooked. I would recommend it.

Hope this review is helpful, we do recommend this lovely spot.

Room Tip: Bungalows 41 and 42 are near one of the walkways to Megano beach and not far from the family pool an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Lori C
Dear guest ,

Thank you very much for this nice review. I will pass your words to all my staff. Yes, we have a lot of changes as you mentioned and it is an ongoing process that will never stop. We are glad that you had a good time also try the great calamari that we do served at the Snack bar. Also tell you that whenever you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Why can't trip advisor allow half stars? I'd like to give this resort a 4.5/5 :) I'll start by saying this was my first trip to Cuba - I was a little anxious about the food quality as everyone kept telling me the Iberostar Ensenachos was "very good...for Cuba". Having been to the DR, Jamaica, Bahamas, and various spots in the US - I thought this resort was "very good...for anywhere"! No illnesses of any kind to report :) We stayed there for 2 weeks and were sad to leave. No place is perfect but they sure did try hard.

This is a large resort with the "grand villages" being a distinctly separate entity (3 km away) with shuttle service between there and the main section. They've just recently moved from an adults only resort to a family resort with an "adults only" section where I stayed. There was a clear distinction between family and adult areas and while I saw the odd child here and there, really didn't notice any issues. The grounds are beautifully maintained and walking around was very pleasant. Resort is set back from ocean so no one gets "oceanview" and it is a hike to either beach but with bars and washrooms at either beach and a restaurant at one you don't feel detached from the resort.

Here's a quick breakdown of my trip both good and with areas for improvement:

Good
- food was really good, lots of selection, maybe not the absolute best in the Caribbean but a strong showing nontheless
- beaches are stunning - Playa Ensenachos is the stuff films are made of
- pools are spacious, well maintained with ample shade from the hot hot sun
- large resort that was sold-out but felt half full the entire time (e.g. not having to reserve loungers at 5 am, restaurants half filled, quick service, no lines ups)
- alcohol was strong, not watered down, with key name brands available (Ballentines, JW, CC, Kahlua, Baileys)
- rooms were quiet, clean, good air conditioning and humidity control, great maid services
- staff were efficient and effective, always with a smile on their face and wanting to improve your stay

Areas for Improvement:
- there's a serious lack of beach towels at this resort, you are given one each in your room and while you can exchange it for a new one, they only have 200 extra towels a day (for 800 people) therefore you're often using the damp towel from yesterday
- the whole island of Santa Maria seems to have challenges with appropriate stock as our resort was always running out of things (e.g. diet cola, sparkling water, paper towels) - it was always a treat to see what we'd be able to get each day
- the entertainment is a little lacking with the majority of entertainers only running one or maybe two events (e.g. bean toss) a day and the nighttime entertainment can be a little lack lustre
- this resort doesn't have a lot of shopping opportunities compared to other resorts and would benefit from having a weekly market brought onsite

There were some key staff that made this trip phenomenal and I plan to send an email to Iberostar to note them personally. All in all, for a first trip to Cuba, it left a strong positive impression on me and i would recommend this resort to others. It is a quiet part of the island however so if you're looking for the late-night party scene, this may not be the area for you.

Hoping to go back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in bungalows 20-23 if possible for adult "spa section" as closer to all main...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank CanadianTravelGal76
Dear CanadiantravelG,

We would like to thank you for taking your time to express your opinions and thank you for letting us know. Our clients’ comments are very important to us and we sincerely value them. They will assist us in better serving our guests in the future. I will make sure that this comments get all the departments at the resort. As per the stocks unfortunately here in cuba we work with almost all the supplies coming from outside and if the ship arrive late in town or the permits are not in order it make delay in all our services, of course everything comes thru the Cuban goverment but in the hotel we try to do our best to replace the supplie.
We apologize for all your inconveniencesthat you might encounter on your holdiay. We hope to have you again among us, to provide you the service you deserve.

Best Regards,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We are about to embark on our 4th consecutive holiday and our friends from Toronto on their 5th in March 2013 to this wonderful resort. We were first there when it was an Occidental property but having stayed at other Iberostars in the Dominican Republic and Mexico, there's no problem with Iberostar's management.
What makes a first class vacation? Other than the weather (no control with that), I believe it's the level of service. Without a doubt, the staff at Ensenachos are the best anywhere. Not just the front desk or restaurant staff but also the room attendants, the gardeners, the golf cart drivers, the beach attendants - all greet you with a broad smile and a friendly "Hola". Anything after that is a bonus!
The property is immacuately tended and a tropical pleasure wandering over to the Ensenachos beach. The rooms are clean, lots of hot water with fresh linens and towels. The buffets are plentiful and the quality and selections have improved with Iberostar's tenure. An after dinner drink and a fine Cuban cigar is hard to beat. The beauty of Iberostar Ensenachos is that you can do as much or as little as you want.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stephen A
Brenda C, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Stephen A,

Thank you very much for this nice review. I will pass your words to all my staff. Yes, we have a lot of changes as you mentioned and it is an ongoing process that will never stop. We are glad that you had a good time and let me tell you that whenever you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact us.

Cordially,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were at Iberostar Ensenachos from February 1 to 8, 2013 with our two young children, ages 4 and 2. We all had a great time. The resort grounds are beautiful and were a pleasure to walk through. The staff are all incredibly friendly. My children especially enjoyed Ledy, who did the Mini Disco every night. We visited both beaches, but Playa Ensenachos became our favourite as the kids could walk way out when it was calm. We would spend our mornings at the beach and our afternoons by the pool. There was a lot of walking, especially to get to Playa Ensenachos, but we did not mind this at all. There seemed to be very few people around and there was only one day we could not get a palapa at the beach. Otherwise it was no problem. It definitely did not have the feel of being super crowded, which we really liked.

Food: We though the food was fine. The buffet offered lots of options. I only had pasta one night as the line up took forever (minor complaint). We ate at three a la cartes: Italian, seafood and International. The Italian was not great. The seafood was pretty good and, surprisingly to us, the International (by the pool) was the best. They had sushi the night we were there and the fish we had was fantastic. Our best meal, which surprised us as we hadn't heard good things.

Room: Our room was lovely and had lots of room. Our biggest complaint was location. I don't know if it was the causeway or something else, but there was a constant sound of traffic. It actually sounded like we were right beside a major road. Thankfully we didn't spend much time in our room so only noticed it first thing in the morning and in the later afternoon when we got ready for dinner. And as soon as we stepped around the front of our building, the sound was gone.

Beaches: The beaches are absolutely lovely. It feels like no one is around. The water is crystal clear and beautiful. Not sure we'll find another resort with beaches so lovely and uncrowded! My only complaint is the music. So unnecessary!

We would definitely go back to this resort. But it is not for everyone. We loved the low key aspect and lack of activities. Some people might not enjoy that. If you are looking for lots of action, partying, etc. then this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: We were in room 3221 and it was very noisy with the sound of traffic.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear soapsuds77,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Ensenachos we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best,

#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
#9 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Iberostar Ensenachos? Share your experiences!