“Toddlers' Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cayo Ensenachos
Hamilton
“Toddlers' Paradise”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

After 30 years of travelling the Caribbean Islands, six times in different parts of Cuba, I forget how genuinely friendly, helpful, affectionate and honourable, the Cuban people are. There are not enough positive adjectives to describe their good nature and attitude toward life.
Our trip duration was October 23 to November 6, 2012. We had the pleasure of experiencing Hurricane Sandy, a hospital visit, wall to wall children and no beach for most of the vacation. Regardless of these mishaps, the Cuban people made sure we had a good time anyways.

Pros.
-beautiful beach once it was restored
-outstanding service and camaraderie in the buffet dining room (Thank you Pavel, Annia, Dragna, Ayemeisy Axel and Ariel in the seafood restaurant).
-The Megano “adult” quiet pool was a saviour for us especially when I was sick.
-The International Restaurant had the tastiest “hottest” food
-Our room 4120 was excellent, well appointed, very spacious, efficient shower, stocked amenities, King size bed, 110 volt outlet on hair dryer (the rest was 220 volt), very close to Megano Beach, Family Pool and International Restaurant.
-The weather, not taking into account Hurricane Sandy, was beautiful; sunny, always breezy, not humid, light sweater at night time recommended.
-Megano Beach, once it settled down, was ideal for swimming; crystal clear, fairly warm, shallow, minus debris and rockery, white sand, beautiful walks.
-For the first time in a long time, the entertainment committee encouraged us to participate in easy party games and chess around the Megano pool. Kudos to Javier and Pedro! Thank you to Zaidy and Damarys for lifting our spirits with laughter.
-A must for us is lots of shade. The Megano pool had many majestic palms and the Megano Beach had many palapas before the storm.
-excellent hospital, pharmacy and staff nearby
-Hotel banking system and teller are excellent. Exchange at the hotel because they have a good rate and lots of $1.00 bills for tips.
-beautiful, tropical grounds with exotic flowers, shrubs and shaped topiaries; outstanding, hard working gardeners

Cons
-toddlers and pre-school children were everywhere, even the a la carte restaurants, late at night
-very few singles if you were looking for a connection
-Tourists were mainly French, Eastern European, and Spanish speaking; managed to socialize with two English speaking couples.
-Good variety of food in the buffet and à la carte restaurants but the food was not hot in the buffet unless you had something cooked on the spot for you.
-Bring repellent and After Bite! The bugs, mosquitoes and no Seeums come out early morning and dusk.
-Go to your doctor or Travel Clinic and bring antibiotics-Cipro for infections if you are prone to inflammatory problems: hence my trip to the local hospital for additional help.
-dogs and cats are still running rampant in the restaurants; kids love them, they probably keep down the pests but not an acceptable dinner companion.
As you can see, there are more Pros than Cons. This was not the best trip we have ever taken but it won’t detour us from visiting Cuba again. The friendly Cuban people, the safe feeling you have, the usually ideal weather will encourage us to visit again.

Room Tip: To avoid the Family Section, which we were in, you might want to consider the Spa Section which is c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HamiltonLovebirds
Stefano B, Director General at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear guest
We appreciate you have taken part of your time and write us about your recent stay at Iberostar Ensenachos, we appreciate a lot all your comments, because allow us to improve our services and we work hard in order to all our guests feel themselves like home. We hope to have you again among us, to provide you the service you deserve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,050)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We (my wife and I age 25/29) have just recently returned from the Iberostar Ensonachos. We flew down with sunwing (2nd trip in 6 months with them) flight was a little delayed as a small plane crash, ice and gate issue's but nothing sunwing can do. The flight crew was great in keeping us up to date.

We where slighly concerned with the recent Sandy hurricane which went over Cuba to the east. The beach seemed to have taken most of the damage. Many of the staff stated that the beach is not it's normal beautiful self. I wish I could have seen the beach before, as both beaches (the menago and ensenacho) put Varedero's and Playa del Carmen beaches to shame(previous 2 best beaches). The first full day we stayed away from the beach as the staff was busy cleaning up and it was a touch windy so we had a pool day. The pools where nice but after the palapa's where put back up we had no desire to spend anytime other then the beaches, we normally spend most our trip at the pool. The water very calm, even compared to the resorts on Caya Santa Maria as the larger island shelter's Cayo Ensenacho which keep's the water very calm. I can't say enough of the beaches here, go enjoy!

The resort itself had the best entertainment for the night show's I have seen. We usually can't stand the boring/redundant shows but from Tuesday to Saturday they where great with the other two days not as exciting but still enjoyable. The day crew puts on fun game's, volleyball, music on the megano beach for the people who can't sit still. Also there is a ship wreck of the megano beach which is a very nice snorkel spot. There is also live coral off the water sports area which also has nice snorkeling. There is a night club/sports bar with pool tables, it was pretty dead when we went there not that we wanted night life anyway.

The food- for those that have been to Cuba you know it's bland and well "meh". The food here was good. Breakfast had omelet's, egg's, bacon. sausages (not hotdogs), freshly cook dounuts, creps, french toast cooked to please, not much else you can do here for this meal. Lunch had different options depending on where you where. The beach had pizza/hamburgers/hotdogs/salad, the park suite pool had chicken/fish/barritos and a menu with selections (this was our favorite lunch spot), only went to the buffet once and it was typical chicken, fries etc. Dinner at the buffet had fresh cooked pizza, a selection of fresh meats(steak/chicken/hamburger) my favorite, and other typical dishes that didn't seem to change much but all edible. The al a cartes. We really enjoyed the meditrainian; surf and turf cooked to your choice, the potato soup was really good. Our second favorite was italian, pumkin soup was also good and variety of dishes. The internation was okay but we enjoyed the other two much more. We enjoyed the meditrainian and italian twice each during our 1 week stay. To book can be done from 10am to 11pm, we went at 1030 after our arrival and had no issue's to book resturants, we seen people stand in line during the day so I guess it could be annoying if you didn't book right away.

The Staff- Well I can't say enough about the staff here. First was Elexei from the meditrianian resturant. He was amazing, his service, personality, friendliness, work ethic was the best I have seen anywhere. He seemed to spend time everywhere well making you feel you where the only one in the resturant and his cappucino's are tremendous. The lobby bar staff are great as well, Two staff stood out Rudy (with his rudy tudy drink which taste like strawberry icecream) and Yandi. Both greated us everyday and served us well through the trip. I wish I could remember more staff members but everywhere we went everyone said "hola" with a smile on their face. Offered rides on golf carts even if that was not their purpose and was going the same direction. The staff never seemed to expect a tip but was very greatful everytime they got one. Best staff out of any hotel I have been to.

The hotel could use some paint and a pressure washer but really is this going to ruin your vacation? as for stuff missing like toliet seats, It is very tough to get them into the country, I seen one in the hotel that was missing and quite frankly I would rather have one in my room and I can find a differnt seat in that public bathroom. The matteress seemed to be a bit used and were not all that comfortable, but got a decent sleep each night.

The dolphins at the Gaviota marina where fun but the photgraphs weren't that good, Diving was good, probably the nicest dive boat I have seen with nice rental gear and professional staff. The Santa Clara city tour was good but seemed to drag on by the end, we are glad we went. The senic tour bus that travels the islands was well worth the $2 pesos per person

The only bad experience's I had was with the tourist. Throwing garabage and cigarette's into the sand, expecting to be waited on hand and foot while being rude, leaving a mess in a quite corning of the beach which they obviously where able to bring down but not carry back with them, continue to smoke cigars in the lobby bar even after being asked by staff to take it outside, arguing with the day entertainment staff of given points during a fun game about winning a $4 bottle of rum. Now I don't want to single out a certian group and realize it takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch but man, everytime I go south the French-Canadians seem to be in the middle of my "tourist" rant. When other nationalities and Canadians all have the same compliants well I guess "if the shoe fits". There are lots of young families which they want as they recently built a kids water park. If kids ruin your vacation in resturants well maybe stay home...really. And if you are reading this and think i'm out to lunch, well maybe its you I am talking about!

Our intial impression was just okay and our first couple days we weren't sure we would even return. Then the longer we stayed and got to interact with the staff the more we wanted to return. By the end of our week with the combination of the staff and awesome beaches we can't wait to return. Thank you

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Scarvey11
Dear guest
Thank you so much for taking part of your time and write us about your recent stay at Iberostar Ensenachos, we appreciate all your comments, because allow us to improve our services and we work hard in order to all our guests feel themselves like home. We hope to have you again among us, to provide you the service you deserve.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our stays at all-inclusives in Cuba include Playa Pesquero (1x), Breezes Jibacoa (10x), and the Melia Cayo Santa Maria (12x). We typically do not travel during the peak season (Christmas to +/- end of April), and thereby usually avoid full occupancy at hotels, but also typically experience some cuts in services available during peak times, due to less money coming into the hotel, as well as the opportunity for the hotel to do maintenance and repair work in preparation for the next high season. This was our first stay at this hotel (September 5-12, 2012), and because we’ve benefitted from reading TA reports, I’ll contribute my impressions of our stay - expressed as “likes” and “dislikes”.

“Likes”

1. The price: under $1,000 pp, taxes included, on a direct flight with Sunwing from Vancouver (yes, I know – Vancouver!!).

2. Location: Having spent so much time at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria, we are very familiar with the somewhat remote area and had no hesitation in coming here (the bus drives past this hotel every time we go to the Melia!).

3. The main building (lobby area): Upon arrival the entrance and lobby is very impressive and grand on a very large scale. Reception is in an enclosed office and we were greeted warmly upon arriving and the process of check-in was very prompt. The staff could not have been more welcoming and accommodating and checked back often during our stay to ensure all was well.
• The lobby itself has lots of seating available for you to sit back, enjoy an alcoholic beverage, or a cappuccino, and enjoy the slight breeze that seems to go through here – even when there is no whisper of a breeze elsewhere.
• The lobby bar: has great service, excellent drinks, snacks at times available from a covered tray on a cart by the door, and wonderful air conditioning (when it was working). Had my first chocolate martini here....
• Cigar store: cigars stored in large walk-in humidor. Staff (Mercedes) was personable and knowledgeable about the products available.
• Bank (for money exchange) is located in an office on the level below the lobby – just follow the stairs. Pleasantly surprised that there was no need to bring your passport with you.
• Buffet restaurant: Serving staff was excellent. Very attentive, very polite, and friendly. Buffet staff (cooks) were equally good. I found the food to be really very good (with the exception of my hard-as-a-rock roll from the bread station one morning). My new best friend Ramon prepared fresh shrimp for my dinner on several occasions and brought it to the table when it was ready. I can say I enjoyed it more than the lobster at the a la carte restaurant. And the personal service was a nice bonus, too!

4. The accommodation (room): We stayed in the Park Suites section. I was happy with this location as it was closer to the main building, and Megano Beach than some of the other buildings. While children are welcomed, it wasn’t an issue when we were there. Maybe because there were only about 200 guests in total during our stay. In any case, the room itself was huge, and the extensive use of marble made for a very elegant setting. Our suite was on 2 levels – and included 2 bathrooms, 2 TV’s, 2 balconies, with the bedroom, walk-in closet, and master bath on the 2nd floor. The bed was the most comfortable bed we’ve slept on in Cuba, and sleeping here, in a quiet air-conditioned room, under a feather bed, was decadent to say the least. I loved it. Although we never saw the maid, the room was well cleaned daily, and cigar butts removed from the ashtray on the terrace every day. Absolutely no complaints.

5. Ensenachos Beach: is breathtakingly beautiful. Get here early in the morning, and you could have the beach to yourself for a while. The water is shallow and very calm, and that beautiful colour next to the white sand is stunning. The beach is not very long for walking, but there are other things to do – like check out some of the fish along the rocks on the right side, or take a nylon Frisbee (flying disk) like we did for playing in the water, or bring a lounging floatie (or air mattress) from home, have your insulated travel mug filled with your beverage of choice from the server or the bar set up at the beach, and enjoy paradise! There are bathrooms located by the bar, but this beach does not have an area that provides any food.

6. Megano Beach: is located closer to the Park section, via a long boardwalk over the mangroves. It has bathrooms, a bar, a snack-bar opened for lunch typically offering (buffet style) salad fixings, fruit, hot dogs, burgers, pizza, fries – but not always all of these things each day. It’s not gourmet, but it’s good enough to tide you over until dinner, and saves you packing up and going to the buffet. The beach itself is also beautiful – but is a little bit more active than Ensenachos as the entertainment staff are visible with activities here and music is playing from speakers on the beach. We never found the music however to be too loud, or annoying and in fact, in the earlier part of the morning, before more people start to show up, the music was usually very soft, and relaxing and zen-like – sometimes to go along with the tai-chi or stretching exercises with the staff. We found the snorkelling opportunities here to be superior to Ensenachos beach – with more variety, and fish that were surprisingly large compared to how shallow the water is.

7. The sea-food a la carte restaurant on our first visit: the table setting was romantic, as was the overall ambiance of the restaurant. The steak and lobster was delicious, and the bottle of wine selected from the wine list ($) was a good accompaniment to all of the above. The server was attentive, and even managed to acquire a serving of rice pudding for dessert, after there was no more left from the station (set up buffet style for appetizers and dessert). You can get a ride to and from the restaurant with one of the many golf-style carts shuttling around the resort – by either waiting on the path by your room, or by going to the lobby and requesting a ride from one of the bell-boys.

8. The staff: overall, the service that we received was top-notch from everyone we encountered from reception, to cooks, to food and beverage servers, to bell-boys, to the gardeners (either giving directions when lost, or even giving us a ride in the heat to the Ensenachos Beach in their “vehicle”, to the chambermaid, to the car rental man, to the food and beverage manager spending time talking to us about our stay (and more). The “star” quality of the staff and the service they provided made us feel so welcomed that it will be a pleasure for us to return here soon.

“Dislikes”

1. Pathways can be very dark at night – and some areas did not have any lighting – maybe because blocks of rooms were unoccupied, but in any case, more lighting is required. Or take a flashlight with you for the evening.

2. The 2nd night at the seafood restaurant. Service was dreadfully slow (as in the wait for the meal vs the table server with ordering, drinks, etc), the food was not good, substitutions were made without consultation, etc. Overall, I could not believe this was the same place we had had such a great dinner only a few evenings earlier. Our server kept apologizing to us. I think she would have gone to the kitchen to cook the meal herself if she could have – lol! Must have been a problem somewhere. Go figure.

3. A la carte options were limited due to closures – but this is understandable (and not uncommon anywhere) during off-season and we were prepared for this.

4. Air conditioning wasn’t working for 2 days in the main building – so the buffet, lobby bar, and shops in particular were uncomfortably warm. But stuff happens.

5. Signs of deferred maintenance evident in many parts of the resort giving a bit of a “run-down” appearance in some areas. We did see a lot of work underway with repairs to fountains, one restaurant being totally gutted for renovations, and in all fairness, some things were probably unattended to when the ownership/management change was imminent. We did report that there was water leakage/seepage in our shower stall through the exterior wall to the balcony (needs some grout replacement). Hopefully this kind of stuff gets fixed really quickly before it results in major damage.

6. (Spread-out) size of resort: Lots and lots of walking. This didn’t really bother us (because we can use the exercise), but this is something that people with mobility issues should be aware of. There are carts being driven around frequently that you can hop on to (providing there are empty seats) – to go to the buffet – or your building – or towards the beaches – but you may need to wait – in the hot sun – and I have no idea what it’s like when the occupancy is closer to 100%. Ladies may want to carry their high-heeled shoes in a bag and change into them at the restaurant if you are planning to walk there.

7. Je-jenes (biting no-seeums): usually found in the cayos. No exception here. Usually found around bushy areas (including close to the shrubs at the beach). Be prepared & take repellent with as high % Deet as possible.

8. Going home after the week was over – bummer.

Our first impressions were good lasting impressions and are enough to make us want to return. Soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank rrrichar
Stefano B, Director General at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear guest
We are glad that you took part of your time and write us about your recent stay at Iberostar Ensenachos, we really appreciate all your comments, because allow us to improve our services and we work hard in order to all our guests feel themselves like home. We hope to have you again among us, to provide you the service you deserve.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I just returned from my 2nd Visit since Iberostar took over this Hotel 1 year ago. The young and dynamic Hotel Director Stefano has converted this Hotel into the Perfect Iberostar property.
It is seperated in 3 Sections : Spa area-no Kids (close to Tennis,Gym, Pools,Lobby), Family area with seperate Pool+ Restaurant, Villa area- Very Quiet+exclusive. The 2 Beaches have been Rapidly cleaned following Huricane Sandy. The Food at the Main Buffet is Fantastic and diverse for Cuba standards. The nightly Shows and Live Music in the Lobby are Tremendous !
If U want to play Tennis or Learn : Renaud Lopes- the Hotel Pro is The Best Teacher worldwide. He is World Ranked ATP Masters player and a Great Guy ! Bring him New Balls !!!
This is the Best Hotel in Cuba for Value if U want a Nice Gym, Great Food + Entertainement and of course Beautiful Aqua Ocean Water + Beach. U must go before U die (Bucket List) CHEERS

Room Tip: All Rooms in Spa area are similar. All Good. Family section : get close to Pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Renaud B
Dear Guest
On behalf of the staff I want to thank you for giving us your comments about your experience at Iberostar Ensenachos. We are pleased to have given to you a great holiday and encourage us to keep improving our services. We congratulate Renaud Lopes for helping you to make your holiday special. We hope to offer you again our hospitality whenever you decide.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just returned from a wonderful week at Iberostar Ensenachos. The manager, Stefano, is an approachable and professional manager who seems dedicated to improving this lovely property. The food was fresh and plentiful, our room was large and clean, and the beaches (there are two on the property) were stunning. I have been to Turks and Caicos, D.R. and both the US and British Virgin Islands and their beaches do not compare.

The true gem of the resort is the wonderful tennis pro on-site. Reno improved my tennis game significantly in the week I was at the hotel with his passion for teaching and commitment to giving you an hour of valuable instruction. The lessons are included in your all-incusive package (please consider giving a tip!) and are well worth it.

I had a lovely week and am strongly considering returning next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank SForna
Vancouver
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Arrived back Oct 31st. We arrived at the resort after dark, there were no lights on in the bungalows, this made finding the room a little difficult. This may have been due to Hurricane Sandy passing by, it was the only down side to our stay at this resort. I can't say enough good things about Iberostar Ensenachos, all the staff make you feel very welcome and are always on hand to make your stay very comfortable.
This resort is huge and when the spa area has completed renos, will be even larger. Every thing is well maintained even though it's an older property. The rooms are good size, very comfortable and private, not too much of a view, but that's how they keep it private.
The food at the buffet is of a very high standard and good variety. Like anything, too much of a good thing. We tried the International and the Seafood a-la-cartes, they were both very good and makes a nice change from the buffet. Lunch at the snack bar by the pool also makes a nice change. A huge thank you to the staff in the snack bar pool, they made our stay very pleasant, special thanks to cook / chefs: Boris and Mayelin, waitress: Sonia, we will never forget your kindness and service.
The beaches rank amongst the finest in the world, fine white sand and go on forever. The pools are a good size (not good for swimming, but great for cooling off).
The evening entertainment is fun to watch, the singers and dancers are easy on the eyes.
My favourite was listening to the lady playing the piano in the lounge, she is an amazing talent. Take the time to stop and listen to her play.
We will return and I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank Robin L
Welland, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family a I just returned from the Ensenachos on Oct 31st after a seven day stay. We had a wonderful time. The staff at this resort are fantastic! They are eager to please 24 hours /day.
Gardens are meticulously groomed. This really adds to the beauty of the resort. Flowers in bloom everywhere you look which entices wild life.
The pool (park section) is quite big with lots going on (volleyball, water aerobics ect...)
We found the food to be very good. None of us were ill. The buffet had lots of variety for all of us. We ate at the seafood ala carte twice and the Italian once. We preferred the seafood restaurant. The Asian restaurant was closed for renovations. The drinks alcoholic/non were good. The main bar has a lovely lady playing a piano in the evening. She is a real treat to listen to. She plays beautifully.The shows were interesting and started at 9:30 pm. I found the volume of these shows to be a little loud for my tastes so we only stayed for a half hour.
Some of the other reviews state that this resort needs some work. I found that to be true but it did not inter fear with our holiday in the slightest. The staff at this resort are warm and friendly. In our case they made our holiday here fantastic. If you can look past the nit picky negatives and enjoy meeting people you will have a great time. Unfortunately we arrived just after Sandy (storm) so the beach was closed until our last day. We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Take flash lights for walking at nite. Paths are not well lit.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank gagetman96
Stefano B, Director General at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest
On behalf of the staff I want to thank you for giving us your comments about your experience at Iberostar Ensenachos. We are pleased to have given to you a great holiday and encourage us to keep improving our services. We hope to offer you again our hospitality whenever you decide.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Ensenachos
#10 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
#12 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Iberostar Ensenachos? Share your experiences!