Stayed at this hotel Oct 21-28 - during the time of Hurricane Sandy, so unfortunately only had two beach days before the rain and winds literally took the beach away, a lot of damage to beach area and palapas washed out to sea. The beach was beautiful, but was dissapointed not to see the calm clear water as in photos, as it was wavy all week. We spent the days that it was not raining at the main pool, which was nice, although we would normally not spend any time at the pool, we are beach people.
Staff was GREAT all around, waiters/waitresses, bar staff and animation team all work very hard and are very friendly for the most part - special mention to Yulie and Yunexy in the buffet and Andy and the animation team. The food was okay - a lot of repetition , and although you can always find something to eat, I found the choice of fresh fruit and salad items disappointing. They had lettuce only a couple of days, and ran out of chicken on a few occasions. Drinks were good, didn't care for the red and white wines available - but the sparkling cava both rose and white were good. We went to only one a la carte - the mediterranean - and although the service by Eduardo there was great - the food was not, so we opted to cancel other reservations made.
There are many areas that they are working on improving, and I certainly hope this continues, as there are issues. The lighting on the main walkways at night is terrible and dangerous, many of the lights are burnt out - an accident waiting to happen, especially when it was raining. Many areas are in need of paint which would go a long way to sprucing the place up, the mens washroom missing toilet seats, and the auditorium where they have the nightly shows is very nice, but has broken seats which is also dangerous - it wouldn't take much to fix these things. On a positive note, the grounds are kept immaculate- the gardners work tirelessly to keep it up. There is also much wildlife around, crabs, frogs, hummingbirds, lizards, cats and resident hotel dog Rosie - who is very friendly and makes herself at home there - following guests around and hanging out at the pool and lobby.
The rooms are kept very clean - no problem there - stayed in the Park section in building 41 - great location close to Megano beach and pool. Maid always left towel art and will change beach towels for you - as other wise you have to go quite far to the tennis court area to change them - not convenient - there should be an area at the main pool to change them. Fridge is stocked daily with water, beer, and soda.
All in all, despite the few days of rain, we had an enjoyable vacation. The evening shows were some of the best we have ever seen and both house bands are excellent. We enjoyed the staff very much - it is usually the Cuban people that keep us coming back - this was our 5th time in Cuba - Although we realize it is a family resort, we found there were too many young kids for our liking - strollers everywhere and lots of crying at mealtimes - not very relaxing, so would not likely return, unless we upgraded to the villa section. The spa section is for ages 14 plus but kids still share the same buffet, lobby, and beach, so probably not worth paying the extra for those rooms. The gym is quite well equipped, and very clean, and there is a spa right next to it - didn't use the services but prices seemed reasonable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the impressive Cayo Ensenachos, Cayo Ensenachos brings all the Cuban flavour to some of the most exclusive Caribbean beaches. Holidays in Cayo Ensenachos are always great. The area features two exclusive, beautiful and quite unknown beaches. Kilometers of golden sand waiting for you and facing the turquoise-shaded ocean. Two of the beaches are bound to captivate you: Megano and Ensenachos. The heavenly beaches and the luxury hotels and resorts in Cayo Ensenachos, offer anything you might think of. Rest is only one of the attractions you'll enjoy if you spend your holidays in Cayo Ensenachos, one of Cuba's most exclusive destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Iberostar Ensenachos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Ensenachos Hotel Cayo Ensenachos
- Occidental Royal Hideaway Ensenachos Cayo
- Royal Hideaway Ensenachos
- Occidental Royal Hideaway Ensenachos Hotel