“To sum up in one word.....Perfection!!”

Iberostar Ensenachos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cayo Ensenachos
Hamilton, Canada
“To sum up in one word.....Perfection!!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This was our second visit to this resort and it did not fail to amaze once again. We stayed in the Spa Section in May and it was fantastic. This time we returned on a family trip with kids and stayed in the Park Section which was also excellent. I emailed ahead to make requests and all of them were met without issue. This time around was the low season so some of the sections were closed. We certainly missed eating at the Ensenachos beach lunch restaurant but we understood why everything was not opened for the small amount of people at the resort. The Japanese restaurant was also closed for renovations.....this was also an excellent spot to eat when we visited in May. We saw many renovations taking place which was nice to see as the improvements are constant at this resort. We did find that we fell victim to many, many bug bites this time around but most likely b/c of the damp weather as it rained about an hour a day on average. The staff remembered us from our first visit and were so welcoming and professional. This resort tries very hard to please and the employees are the friendliest and warmest we have ever met. Great job once again to everyone and we hope to return for a third time in the near future!!!!

Room Tip: Buildings 41, 42, and 43 are close to the Megano Beach and family pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank lippy88
Stefano B, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos.
Thank you for your review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your second stay with your family. As you probably noted, the Park Suites and Spa Suites are very different in terms of ambiance and it's great that you enjoyed both of them. We have been working hard with maintenance and renovations in the past months and we hope to have them completed very soon in time for the high season. I hope that you were able to take advantage of the sun and we look forward to seeing you again.
Stefano Baratelli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,040)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I am planning my seventh trip to this Hotel in February. I love this place. I am always treated like royalty at this resort. The staff help make this spot one of my personal favorites. Special thanks to Tammi in Human Resources. Thanks for helping me out and ensuring all my needs were met,you always go that extra step above and beyond. Thanks to Angel in the Lobby bar for the wonderful service you provide. Joel in the Buffet (you are amazing) Boris (kitchen staff )I hope you are cooking one of my favorite snacks at the beach bar when I return.
The beaches are absolutely beautiful at this resort. You will not be disappointed.
You can also check out some live entertainment in the evenings (main lobby)
The shows are very entertaining and will keep bringing you back night after night
If you enjoy beautiful beaches,scenery and wonderful customer service this is the spot for you :) See you in February

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Denise M
Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos.
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to see how much you love our resort and that you are already planning your next trip. We do have a really great staff who go above and beyond to make each persons stay special and I will be sure to let those who you mentioned know that you have been thinking of them and will be returning. Anything that you may need, you know that you can always contact us. We look forward to welcoming you back for a seventh time.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

When we arrived there was more staff than holiday makers, the atmosphere was absolutley terrible it was more like a morgue. Thankfully things improved halfway through the first week. we finally got a decenct room after seeing 3 other rooms. It took 4 days to get the shower fixed also was unable to drain the bath also the a/c was very poor. and the cleaning of the rooms wasn't up to standard. we got bitten all the time even after using repelent and we still got bit.
The a/c in the auditorium was none existent and it smelt fusty like it hadn't had a good clean in years. you cannot stop in there as its far to hot, the auditorium needs to be outside.
Well what can i say about the food it wasn't that good. Breakfast was ok but sometimes there wasn't any bread to do toast and there was no fish either. Lunch was ok but not hot enough. And dinner well it was the same and very disappointing, it was always cold and not covered up. In the main resturant the cheese and cold meats was all sweaty and wet due to no a/c. It is a health hazard. It will be picking up bacteria from the air and everybody around. Also the italian resturant wasn't good at all, the food wasn't cooked properly.
Iberostar needs to get this hotel in order and upgrade everything. The other iberostar in varadero beats this hotel hands down . What a let down by iberostar. The only 5* of this hotel is the staff they were exceptional.
This hotel mainly caters for the french canadians.

Room Tip: use the grand rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank michelle s
Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos.
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed in your vacation with us. We are in the low season which accounts for the low amount of guests at the hotel, but this is definitely not an excuse for anything else that you incurred during your time here. In regards to your room, maintenance is usually very quick at fixing these issues and I am surprised that it took so long. If you wouldn't mind please sending me a private note with the problems that you had in the first three rooms, I will make sure that they are looked into immediately as we are trying to get all maintenance issues fixed before the first of November. I can only apologize again and wish that you had come to the management directly during your stay so that we could have spoken in person and found some way to make your holiday better while you were there. I look forward to hearing any other comments that you may have. Best of luck in your future travels.
Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in the large and beautiful villa from september second to september 9.It was very beatiful. the food was very good we had lobster every day .The people are so fantastic, polite, generous of their services, always want to give us the best they can .
the ensenachos beach was almost reserved just for us, Blue sky and water no wave you could drift on your mat enjoying the sunrays.

Room Tip: go for the villa side if you look for calm vacation...it is home away from home...
4 Thank Michelle B
Stefano B, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos.
Thank you for your review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your vacation and were able to relax while basically on your own private beach. Even though this is low season, in the Villas it is always much more quiet than the other beach areas of the hotel. If there was anything else that we could have done, please let us know. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

What an amazing vacation we had at Iberostar!
I had very low expectations since my last visit to Cuba was quite mediocre and what a surprise was I in for!
Iberostar Ensenachos is pure luxury! We got spoiled rotten!
To start off, the resort is absolutely spectacular. The grounds are so beautiful, the gardening is amazing, the lobby is so grand and specious, amazing pools, the rooms were top notch and the beach is nothing that I have ever imagined could exist. The whitest sand, the clearest water, the delightful sunshine and the constant show of various fish, star fish and corals was spectacular.
The rooms are very nice, flat screen TV, DVD, speakers, walk- in closet, a shower and a bath separate from the toilet. The beautiful towel and bed arrangements, that were different every day and the personalized notes from the maid with chocolate candies left on the bed were absolutely amazing.
The service in this resort cannot be compared to anything I have seen before! The word 'No' doesn't exist, you get anything you want and even if you didn't quite think that you want or need something there will be someone there meeting the needs you do not yet have. :) Amazing staff each and every one of them, management, bar tenders, servers, drivers, beach waiters, absolutely everyone were amazing, friendly and accommodating beyond belief.
The food was delicious, we couldn't stop eating, amazing a la carte restaurants and top level alcohol.
This was a spectacular vacation and I am definitely coming back! You won't regret going there!

Room Tip: Try to stay closer to the Lobby in the 20'a and 30's buildings as the resort is huge and its...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
13 Thank AnyaC306
Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos.
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you had a great time with us and that it was a huge change from your last visit to the country. Our staff are amazing and try to do everything they can to ensure that the guests have a wonderful stay and I'm glad that this really showed in your experience. I hope that you were able to relax and enjoy our beautiful beaches and we look forward to your next stay.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We just returned after 2 weeks in the villa section...unique property and location, excellent people, service, beaches and water second to none......but, this resort admittedly sets the standard very high for themselves with great concierge service waiting to cater to your needs.....sooo....the "Cuban moments" that we usually always laugh off added up by the end of our holiday to be plentiful and we realized that this resort is just not there yet....if you want a relaxing holiday away from it all then the villa section here is outstanding, get your best price and have a great time....but if you want a resort that is near flawless in regards to attention to detail in housekeeping, food consistency, communication regarding restaurant closures, room keys not working, some maintenance issues around the property and other details, then there are many other choices that are true 5-star (check out gran bahia principe cayo levantado in Dominican Republic, for example)....we had an excellent time...we always do.....2 star or 5 star....but I doubt we will return here...and overall expected better reliability and are somewhat disappointed with Iberostar!......Sr. Baratelli, the general manager, will reply to this review with an apology, but I think his time would be better spent continuing to tour the property and improving "quality control".

Room Tip: In the villa section, Room 7001 was one of the few rooms with a decent ocean view...the a/c worked g...
12 Thank novakel
Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos.
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations but people must also realize that a 5 star hotel in Cuba will never be the same as a 5 star hotel in any other country because of the limited resources. We are still working on growing our brand and working with what we have, but we feel that we are working in the right direction. We can only apologize for your disappointment and keep working towards our future goals. Thank you again and best of luck in your future travels.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We just came back from a vacation at Iberostar Ensenachos from Sept 9 until sept 16 and stayed in Villa 5302.
We booked with Air Canada Vacation, and for the price difference we are glad that we book the villa. We usually like to be very active during our vacation but this time we needed a quiet and peaceful vacation! We are in the 25-30 age range and were delighted with our vacation.
Airport transfer
From the Santa Clara airport, we were a bit disappointed with the bus transfer (not the hotel's fault but Air Canada). We had to wait over 20 minutes to board them as they were supposedly full.... I should have not went to the currency exchange office. The Air Canada agent wanted to split the 2 of us in separate buses. We refused to do so... however we were stuck to put some of our luggage in a different bus since the one we had was full.
I was worried that we would lose our luggage. The agent reassured us that all the bus would be following each other and we would get our luggage as soon as we arrived at the hotel. Unfortunately, the second bus showed up at the hotel over an hour later which made us very worry. So if I can give you a piece of advise, as soon as you get out of the airplane, make sure to get to the bus ASAP.
The bus was also old, noisy, and it was hot.
But at the end of the vacation, when we returned to the airport, the bus was new, the tour guide was informative and funny and there was plenty of room.

Check-in
We were greeted with Champagne and the check in process was very smooth. We were transferred to the Grand Village within minutes and were greeted by our concierge Yandry who was simply fantastic. Then he proceeded to drop us off directly to our Villa and he give us a quick tour.
The Villa 5302
We were quite impressed... and I have to say is I am usually hard to impress. I am spending half of my life in hotel rooms with work. The first thing that came to mind was that the pictures of the villa online were not representative. The villas are much larger and were better than I expected. Basically you get 2 washroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, very large bedroom, very large balcony with ocean view and your own jacuzzi. We also had awesome privacy! It was so quiet and secluded... fantastic! We enjoyed the pool of the Grand Village for the first few days. It was so quiet (especially this time of year) that we were only the both of us with the barman (Camilio) . It was also very quiet on the Grand Village section of Ensenachos beach. In the morning, we were usually by our self... then later during the day, we would be an average of 3 to 4 couple. It was so relaxing!

Resort
The resort is huge and beautiful. Yes there was some area being renovated such as water fountain, pools, Asian restaurant, etc. However these things are expected in the slow season as it's all ready for high season. While we were there, only 15% of the resort was booked.

The beach
The best of the best! We stayed mostly at Ensenachos: Beautiful clear water, the algae were getting removed every morning so the sand was like white powder. There was a lot of fish and Tony took us on a snorkeling tour for a few hours. If you want more action, it's better to go to Megano beach. They play music,there is more people and more entertainment.

The food
We were more than happy. We ate mostly at El Colonial at the Grand Village. The food was great, the best to us was the beef. The pasta were also very good. The only thing you need to expect is that sometimes the supply is limited so some meals are not available. But we were fine with this, and we always found something great to eat. The buffet was also very good, we enjoyed the fresh cooked pasta the most. The only time that was not so good, was on our arrival night. We arrived at the hotel very late and they opened the buffet to accommodate us. The food choice was very limited and tasted not so good. But it was no big deal to us. We also tried the Italian restaurant, while it was great, we prefer the El Colonial in the Grand Village

The staff
That was a main key point that made our trip memorable. The waitress at El Colonial were simply outstanding. The gardener at our villa worked so hard in making sure the garden around our villa was top notch. One morning he welcomed us with Coconut drinks. It was delicious! We gave him working gloves.... he was so happy with our gift!
The maid were doing a great job too in keeping our villa spotless.
The 2 concierges we dealt the most were Yandry and Marechal and they always tried to be so accommodating. Marechal give us a resort tour telling us all the best spots. He also showed us an amazing area to watch the best sunset.

Entertainment
During the day, the staff were always very friendly at the beach and the pool to entertain us. At night, the show at the auditorium were entertaining... I just feel that some people expectations were too high. If you go there expecting to see Cirque du Soleil, well, you will be disappointed. To us, the best 2 shows were Broadway and Boogie Night. There were 10 musicians on stage with 12 dancers... plenty to entertain us. We wish that the A/C was running because it was simply too hot in the auditorium!
The disco was a let down... on one night, we ended up a bunch of Canadian at the disco. We all found the music to be boring so we asked nicely the DJ if we could accommodate a song request. He rudely brush us off. He is the only rude employee that we came across in the whole resort. About 20 minutes later, everybody had left the disco. It was only 11pm!
Then the subsequent nights, were were told that there was a flood in the disco and all the electronic equipment was damaged. So the only thing they could do was to play some CDs. It was all slow music that was boring as hell! Then all the couches and chairs were soaking wet. A few days later, the place was so stinky. They should have move the furniture outside during the day to dry it up.

The tiles in Grand Village pool needs to be repaired/replaced. Some of them are cracked and have sharp edges. While swimming, my knee rubbed a broken tile and cut me very deeply. A fairly large chunk of skin was completely gone and it was bleeding a lot. Camilio gave me a bandage to contain the bleeding as there was blood all over my swim suite and leaking everywhere. I have to say that it ruined the rest of my day and I retreated to the villa. The cut is still hurting today!
Therefore my recommendation to the hotel management, is that they should get it repaired ASAP before someone else is getting hurt. However I did not let this incident spoiled my vacation and used the main pool after.
Next time that we need a peaceful quiet vacation, we will definitely consider going back to this hotel.
We loved Iberostar Ensenachos! See you soon!

7 Thank AlexP81
Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to get all the rest and relaxation that you were looking for. Our beaches are said to be the best in Cuba and to be able to enjoy them privately like that must have been amazing. We are trying to include a bit more entertainment at the disco at night, and I appreciate you letting us know about the DJ's actions. The disco is for guests such as yourselves, and therefore should be playing the music that you want to hear. We are also in the process of doing some maintenance around the hotel as you said, and will be sure to look into the repair work of the pool in the Grand Village. Thank you again for your kind comments. We hope to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Ensenachos
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
#9 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Iberostar Ensenachos? Share your experiences!