“Good, functional food at a reasonable price.”

Birch Grove Restaurant & Take-out
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Saint George
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“Good, functional food at a reasonable price.”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I didn't go in with high hopes, but the fish chowder was excellent and the blueberry pie was simply the best I've had anywhere or anywhen.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Robert W

Willow Grove
“Food was good, but not the service.”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I've recently heard so many great reviews about this restaurant, that my husband and I decided to take my in-laws for their anniversay even though it's about an hour away. My in-laws and I enjoyed our clams but my husband, who is allergic to seafood had to order a chicken club and side salad. They ended up bringing out a large salad with chicken in it, as well as the sandwich. When we notified our waitress, she simply walked away from the table. (We were of course charged extra for this, even though this wasn't what he ordered) After dinner, we were all too full for dessert, but my mother-in-law thought the blueberry cheesecake looked too good to pass up. When it came to the table, it was frozen in the middle! She told the waitress, who in turn ended up sighing and said she "throw it in the microwave" on her way back to the kitchen!!! Of course when it came out again, the pie was runny. We didn't get a chance to say anything as she quickly left the table again, but didn't eat it either. After dinner, I went to the register to pay while the rest of my party went outside, and the waitress proceeded to give me a bit of an attitude about my mother-in-law and said she must be picky because she has never in her years there had a complaint from anyone else and she couldn't understand why it was such a big deal. I myself am too quiet to speak up, but luckily my mother-in-law was outside or we would have had a scene I'm sure after she heard how rude she was.

Needless to say, none of us will be returning here again.

• Visited September 2012
7 Thank Jamie C
Tampa, Florida
“Don't Miss This Sleeper”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were on our way from St. John to Bangor Me and found this gem while looking for another restaurant. It was our lucky day. The fish and chips were some of the best we found and the price was very reasonable. The best thing about this place was the homemade pies. Worth the stop just for dessert!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mark P
Saint John, Canada
“So glad to find this little Gem!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stopped for lunch and enjoyed the best fried clams on the East Coast! . No kidding. They were lightly battered and scrumptious. Very generous portion and.excellent value compared to restaurants in neighbouring city. Homemade pies are exceptional too. Get there early before pie is sold out. They also cook their own turkeys so the Club sandwiches are genuine

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Anne B
Saint John, Canada
“Pies are great but try the chowder!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The pies are so tasty, better than mom used to make, but so is the chowder. Lots of haddock and broth not thick or lumpy. Enjoy the seafood offered on the menu as well. Husband enjoys the Seniors menu. We visit often and feel very welcomed. Choose your pie when you order as your favourite can disappear fast!

• Visited February 2013