“What a gem!”

Clan Macpherson Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Clan Macpherson House and Museum displays historical items from Clan Macpherson and Scottish history. Open April 1-October 31.
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We are staying in Newtonmore where this museum is. It's based in a beautiful building and is crammed full of artefacts and information. What struck me about this place is the enthusiasm of all of those connected with it. Absolutely fantastic.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I specifically visited Newtonmore to see this museum and it was more than I had expected (many years ago, my wife & I tried to visit, but it was closed). It was well laid out for the telling of the history of the Macpherson clan. I visited mid-week around lunchtime, so it was not crowded. This allowed me to have a wonderful conversation with one of the curators. I will say, however, that I got a tiny bit more special treatment, when I told them that my wife's family were Macphersons! I found a great DVD of the clan history that I brough home to my in-laws.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Although this is a clan based museum, the human stories are fascinating. The exhibits are varied and well displayed. Staff are very welcoming and knowledgeable

Reviewed September 27, 2011

This is a fascinating little museum tucked away in Newtonmore. It's certainly worth a visit. In telling the story of the MacPhersons, the museum also explores much of Scotland's history. One could spend hours here, but we only had a brief time to explore the exhibits. Entry is free, but donations are welcome.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

What a gem of a place. Friends we were visiting Newtonmore with wanted to visit the museum so we tagged along. So glad we did, what a gem of a place! We only wish we had more time to do it justice.

So many clan stories going back centuries and some wonderful exhibits as well. The museum guide was very friendly and we could have spent ages speaking with him.