“Excellent value for money”
Review of Highlander Hotel

Highlander Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newtonmore
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Highlander is a great place to stay in the Scottish Highlands. It's clean, the rooms are spacious and comfortable and the food is good as well. Only issue I had was the speed of service in the restaurant, it almost felt like a production line, too quick to enjoy a meal. Haggis was a poor advert for our national dish! I would heartily recommend the Highlander to anyone

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Great Value for Money no frills good honest accomodation clean and everything you need for comfortable stop over. Food average but wholesome good breakfast and best of all very efficient and friendly staff.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the hotel several weeks ago, although only for the weekend, we had a rather good experience. The level of service was that of a friendly and welcoming nature and certainty value for money. Main areas of the hotel are a little dated, however they are fit for purpose and subjected to high standards of cleanliness, and what with the courteousness of the staff, I tended not to care about the surroundings. Our room had been subjected to a touch of modernisation, the en-suite was a tad dated but clean and in working order. We had a comfy double bed, television, hair dryer and adequate coffee/tea facilities. The bar had a great selection of drinks and a cheerful bartender able to make anyone laugh. My only issue was the availability of the wi fi, the range is rather limited and that combined with the total lack of signal from my mobile phone operator, I felt excluded from the world- it added to the weekends charm but I'd still like a cheeky peek at Facebook :P As a previous reviewer stated, the hotel has a resort feel about it, something which I have to agree with, I feel this made the stay even better. Would visit again!

1  Thank James-McP
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was the second leg of a few days holiday with the missus in the Scottish Highlands (or the Scottish "moon tins" as my friend calls it) via 5pm deals we booked. After a spectacular stay in Glencoe, I was looking forward to the Cairngorms.

As my title alludes to, my visit to the Highlander Hotel was brief and ensued as follows -

Firstly, it was like driving into a retirement home, which is the only way I can explain it, however I thought I'd reserve judgement and keep an open mind until I'd seen the interior.
The chap at reception was pleasant and friendly enough, on checking in I asked will we need to book for dinner to which he replied, "no, we'll have plenty of availability" or something to that effect, not a good sign in my opinion.

We were directed over to the other annex to find out our room which was located right next door to a dusty boiler room; I know this because the door was left ajar which also unveiled that this room doubles as a housekeeping cupboard, bed linen and all. A photocopied note from Management was pinned to the rickety wooden shelves instructing that "Now we are a 3 star Hotel all staff must wear uniforms at all times when on duty". (To my surprise another guest has witnessed also per photo gallery)

On entering the room I noticed a bottle of shiraz which is a nice gesture, I'm not a big wine drinker but could guess that it wasn’t of a good vintage/value and may be referred to by some as a 'cheap bottle of plonk'. There was a musty old smell in the air, like an old folks home in fact, consistent with the exterior and as I was realising with the interior which leads me onto the final straw for me, the grotty old avocado bathroom with a linoleum floor. My open mind was bolting the door shut at this point.

The saviour to my situation was the free wifi allowing me to get online and book somewhere that’s been renovated since my decade of birth (80s)! We promptly checked out forfeiting the 5pm voucher of £99. Advertised on 5pm as usually up to £250 for a 2 night stay, how that’s been calculated I don’t know. I must have missed the two £100 notes that replaced the mint on each of our pillows!

They say first impressions last, so in light of the above, as famously said by one of the Dragons, "…for that reason, I'm out!"

PS – Management, please do not respond to this review, no need. You're staff were friendly and polite enough so no quibbles there, and there was nothing you could have done to rectify my stay other than bulldozing the hotel and building a new one for my arrival.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Paul C
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We arrived at the hotel in the late afernoon having been travelling for most on the day, found that we had been allocted a bedroom in the Annex, where there was no lift to the upstairs bedrooms and one was expected to struggle up stairs with the luggage. As it happened we were given a ground floor room. The hotel is very tired; the beds and floor boards creak all the time; and that means one can hear the beds and floors creaking from the upstairs rooms; even people talking; there is no sound proofing. The other really big problem is the lack of hot water; if you are keen on COLD SHOWERS this the place to stay. We stayed for 4 nights and was only able to have a hot shower once!The toilet was broken so that it would not flush and it took two days for a plummer to repair the problem.
On the positve side the meals in main were fairly good, and the young foreign waiters were very polite and helpful.
We would not make an effort to stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: check that you are staying in the main part of the hotel and not the annex where the faccilities mig...
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Arriving from a long trip, this motel welcomes you very friendly. Plenty of free parking at the back of this motel.
Separated from the restaurant all rooms are located in an other part of this motel.
Good and very clean room, some what outdated.
Breakfast was served by friendly personnel, and there was a good choice. A full cooked breakfast was complete, including haggis. You should try it, I'm still alive to write this review! ;-)
Evening meals available at reasonable prices, good choice of drinks.

Room Tip: All rooms are in a separated part of the motel, easy access.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We booked through a 5pm deal, and we were delighted with what we saw and got for our money.
Although the shared areas' decor resembled more of a retirement home, and the bathrooms in the rooms were basic and perhaps a little dated, the hotel and rooms were spotless and very well laid out.

Although that sounds like a criticism, the decor didn't bother us, as we were looking for a cozy hotel in the highlands, and that's exactly what we got. If you are looking for somewhere with all the mod-cons and sparkling shiny marble everywhere, it probably isn't for you, but if you like quiet, quaint, lovely surroundings, it's perfect!

The food was delicious and great value (restaurant set menu and bar food), the drinks prices very reasonable considering the remote and tourist heavy location, and the staff were very friendly.
There was a lovely little beer garden which we were lucky enough to get good weather to enjoy.
Overall we had a great stay, would be more than happy to go back, and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank beenda13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtonmore
Balavil Hotel
#3 of 5 in Kingussie
The Boat Hotel
The Boat Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boat of Garten

Been to Highlander Hotel? Share your experiences!