“An unexpected surprise!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Newtonmore
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover how Highland people lived, worked and played at this award-winning museum. Experience life portrayed from the early 1700s to the mid 1900s. Find the difference between a “cruck” and a “croman”, smell the “reek” of a peat fire, relive early school days and life on the farm, or just enjoy a “blether” and reminisce with our friendly staff. Extensive play area, shops, café, and picnic sites throughout grounds. A great family day out for all ages. Free admissionOpen Easter to end of October – 3 to 6 hour visit recommended
Holsworthy, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An unexpected surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had a couple of hours free and decided to pop in to look round the Folk Museum.
What a total surprise it was. it was free to get in, and there were donations boxes around the grounds, which seemed like a good idea.
We went around all the areas and were very impressed with the knowledge the staff had, clearly they enjoyed what they did.
There was a cafe, and shop which sold lovely quality gifts better than the usual tatt you find.
before we new it it was closing time, we could have spent a lot more time there than we did. We will definitely go back again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful, Informative, Interactive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I LOVED this museum! The day I went, the weather was absolutely beautiful, making it perfect to walk around this delightful open-air museum. It is divided into three main sections: an open air, mid-century section; a farmhouse/croft section; and a 18th century croft village. All are worth visiting! It's great to actually be able to go inside the buildings and explore, imagining what life was like! In the school house, I was given a "lesson" by a delightful reenactor, and my work was graded at the end of the class. The story teller woman was wonderful and mesmerizing - I went back to her cottage for a new story twice! Admission is free, but after visiting, you'll want to donate to this lovely museum. A highlight of my trip.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Best place I have ever been to brought a lump to my throat seeing how people used to live with basic stuff and were happy sweetie shop was amazing all the staff were so friendly I would happily pay to get in here if they started charging well done for a lovely wonderful place

Bergen, Norway
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“It was the best of a welcome, it was the worst of a welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We happened to approach the museum through the rear entrance reserved for the disabled. As we had a baby in a stroller, we called the number to see if we could enter there. The friendly voice on the phone said yes, but when we came up to the village a lady approached us as if we were thieves and impostors. She got on the phone with someone to discuss how this was possible leaving us a little uncertain of what to do. Do they want visitors or not?? Then another lady came and made us feel most welcome, showing us around the village and explaining the highland way of life in the 17th and 18th century. The buildings were authentic and interesting to visit and the exhibits were hands-on and engaged the children in a good way. We enjoyed it, despite the initial "hostile" welcome.

3 Thank JornBerg
Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Spoilt visit, not really disability friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Having taken my grand daughter for a visit which I would recommend highly I was very disappointed in the lack of thought for disabled people. The only considerations were at the toilets where there is a ramp to the upper floor and the same to the cafe where you spend money. I caught the tractor trailer to the settlement but when we reached the drop off it was not at the settlement I was confronted with a fairly steep path to reach it, it would be a hard push for a wheelchair. I did say to the driver I would have to catch the bus back but at no time did he tell me there wouldn't be another bus for 2 hours or offer me a timetable. No timetable was offered at reception either when we purchased the guide book. The other pick ups were 1 hr apart so I settled down to wait, when it was obvious there was no transport coming I tried to contact the number on the guide but there was no reply. My husband and grand daughter had done the woodland walk back and were unaware I was stranded. I had to struggle to walk back stopping at every possible seat it took nearly 3/4 hour. And by the time I got back I was in extreme pain. My husband was only told about the 2 hour gap when he went to reception because I hadn't returned. I paid for the bus and would have happily paid for the use of a disability scooter or similar. Several years ago when I was in New Zealand the outdoor attractions offered disability scooters so that visitors could enjoy the whole experience. Other countries seem to offer better facilities for the disabled visitor. One of your previous reviews said there was disabled access to the township but if there was it was extremely well hidden.