“disappointed to say the least”

Newtonmore Riding Centre
Ranked #7 of 10 things to do in Newtonmore
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and ride with the originators of pony trekking and riding holidays in Scotland, we were established in 1952. We have a museum dedicated to Highland Pony Heritage as well as many activities apart from just riding: Carriage Rides, Sleigh Rides, Ski Joring, Wedding Carriages, Birthday Parties, Hen and Stag Do's, Horse Shows, Fun Days, Childrens Rides, Working Holidays, Saddle Club, Barbeques. We have a tuck shop on site and also do teas and coffees etc.Come and stay with us on one of our Working or Learning Holidays. Tell us what you would like to do and where you would like to stay and we will put a package together for you.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Brighton, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“disappointed to say the least”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

we booked a hack here in June, I can ride, my partner is a novice rider and his teenage son a beginner so we expected a slow hack - however we booked and paid for a 2 hour ride and were only out for 90 mins if that, my partner was given stirrup leathers too short which i had to ask to be changed, his son was left struggling to reach his stirrups. The ponies were unresponsive to say the least and would snatch the reins out of your hands for grass at any opportunity and we had very young children out with us. A real disappointment as we were looking forward to it very much - would def not return

Visited June 2012
4 Thank emj71
Ruaridh_Ormiston, Owner at Newtonmore Riding Centre, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit to NRC. We seldom receive complaints and it would have been much easier to deal with if you had complained at the time and we could have possibly found a resolution then. You will appreciate that we try to sort things ot in the arena before riding out and that we would have changed stirrups etc to suit if there was a problem. It is very difficult getting the balance between ponies that are quiet enough for beginners yet responsive too without being too lively. I am sorry you were not entirely satisfied with your visit but it really would have been much more easily handled at the time and not two months latter - we do have a feedback form and procedure that your Ride Leader would have made you aware of if you had said you were not satsfied.

Rochester, Minnesota, United States
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our five-year-old enjoyed her pony ride so much we did it again before we left town! The staff were helpful, reassuring, and competent to help this brand new rider enjoy every minute.

Visited July 2012
Glad you had such a great time and look forward to seeing you again.
Thanks Ruaridh Ormiston (Proprietor)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Excellent riding centre. Lots of fun! :-)”
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Amazing treks around the area. Friendly helpful staff. Always lots of fun and exciting rides! Horses are the best! I have been to most stables in the area when visiting friends but this is by far the most welcoming and has the best riding opportunities.

So glad you have enjoyed your visits to us so much and we look forward to seeing you in the future again soon.
Edinburgh
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Lovely trek and mini stable day”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My daughter and I went on a trek and really enjoyed it despite the flies! We were also fortunate to see several deer on our trek.

My daughter also went on a mini stable day and had an amazing time! She is still talking about it and nagging me to to buy a horse!

Visited July 2012
Thanks for the great feedback and look forward to seeing you again.
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Great experience!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

On visiting the Highlands, I knew I wanted to go on a trek to check out some wonderful views. I'd not been on a horse since I was a young teenager so was pretty nervous at first but the staff were amazing and I soon picked it up again! I had my boyfriend with me who was a complete beginner and they guided us both to make sure we knew what to do and felt comfortable. A lovely 2 hour trek with some knowledge on the surrounding area. The ponies/horses were well trained and easy to command. Can't wait to go back!

Visited May 2012
So happy you had a good time and lok forward to seeing you again at NRC.