“Cosy restaurant with a good choice of menu”

Letterbox Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Newtonmore
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Good value for money with a nice, cosy, ambiance. The food was excellent and nicely presented. Would liked to have gone again, but it was closed on Monday and Tuesday. Booking recommended.

1  Thank Kath S

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were in Newton more for the weekend and this restaurant was recommended to us by Dougie the owner of the Craigerne House Hotel. It is a small restaurant with 1 waitress who warmly welcomed us. I had the Oak Smoked Chicken and Mango for a starter & hubby had minestrone soup. The chicken was fantastic and his soup was the best minestrone he has every had with chunky vegetables and huge chunks of ham. We both had pheasant for our main course. This was done with mushrooms, shallots and a thyme, sherry and orange reduction. It was accompanied by dauphinoise potatoes (cauliflower, green beans, carrots and red cabbage were also provided). It was excellent and we were so full we couldn't manage a pudding just coffees. Our bill came to £56 and this included a bottle of wine. We were going to try another hotel for our 2nd night but enjoyed our meals so much we went back the next night. We weren't disappointed and this time my seasonal fruits and sorbet starter was light and refreshing and hubby had the smoked chicken. I had chicken, bacon in a bbq sauce and he had salmon. It was unusually served on an omelette and was just as delicious as his previous nights meal. We were once again too full for a dessert and had coffees. Our bill for the 2nd night came to £58 ( a dearer bottle of wine that night). a would fully recommend this lovely wee restaurant for excellent food, friendly staff and very reasonable prices.

1  Thank evybiscuit
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were recommended to try this restaurant by the owner of the hotel we stayed at and it didnt disappoint. They have a two course special deal for £13.95 and the food was excellent - plenty of choice on the menu and even more on the rest of the menu and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The wine list is very reasonable and they are happy to give you the lid of the wine bottle so you can take the rest home if you cant finish the bottle. The waitress was very friendly and had such a good manner and the service was faultless. We are already planning another trip up just so we can go back to the restaurant again!

1  Thank ShelaghPerth
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Outstanding restaurant in Newtonmore village. Great local food, well presented and a very nice treat if your sick of pub grub. We left room for dessert and it was fantastic. The pheasant was my favourite. Dinner is 6:30 to 8:30, we didn't book but in the summer you might have too. Well worth a visit..

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I came here on our wedding anniversary and loved it. The food is freshly prepared on the premises by the chef/owner and was absolutely delicious. You can choose from set or a la carte menus. I am vegetarian and got a set menu with lots of choice. My husband chose from the a la carte menu and was not disappointed. The service could not be faulted and was very discreet but attentive. Very reasonable prices for the quality of food on offer. I would even rate this as one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten in. The only bad thing I could say was that it is not close enough to home that we could dine there more often!