“Questionable cleanliness” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alvey House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newtonmore
Alvey House
Ranked #10 of 14 Newtonmore B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Questionable cleanliness”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

I would never stay here again. On arrival, we were escorted to our room which did not smell pleasant at all. The owner did not appear to notice this. When I went to use the ensuite toilet, it became apparent the reason for this smell. The toilet had been used and not cleaned (or flushed!!!) which almost made me vomit. We informed the owner of this who apologised and stated it would be cleaned while we were out. (If there were any other rooms/ B&Bs available at the time - we would have left but unfortunately it being the weekend of the Speyside whisky festival, we were out of luck there). On our arrival back later that night, I expected the place to be utterly spotless however, the toilet, despite being cleaner (couldn't really be any worse!!), was still not what I would call clean. I was able to clean it better with the toilet brush myself (which was completely disgusting). In the morning, I also noticed hairs in the shower cubicle. When speaking to the owners at breakfast there was no further mention of this incident. Personally, if I were running a B&B and this occured I would be completely affronted and continually apologise!!
The icing on the cake came upon check out. The owner took my money without so much as a thank you. In fact, I got no acknowledgment whatsoever as he just began to talk to someone standing behind me!!!! To say I was infuriated is an understatement!! It just goes to show what bad customer service can do, as if I had received a thank you and perhaps another apology for the state of the toilet on arrival, I would never have written this review!!!
From reading the other responses for negative reviews from this B&B I expect the owner will deny all knowledge of this, but believe me, it certainly happened!! I would really rather it hadn't as the smell is still with me!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jenbrown10
alveyhouse, Owner at Alvey House, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thirty minutes after arrival and on their way out for the evening the guests advised us that there was dirty water in the toilet pan. On inspection we found that the dirty water was coming from the cistern. Our only explaination is that the dirty water was due to a high concentration of chemicals from a disinfectant block. This being due to the room not being used for three weeks and the block dissolving into one cistern full of water rather than being dissolved by multiple uses of the toilet over a number of weeks. The cistern and toilet were cleaned and the room left in good order.

The following morning the guests had breakfast and It had been our intention to explain the situation to them at checkout. However at checkout two guests were present. Whilst trying to deal with the first guest the guest in question asked me to confirm the amount payable and on doing so passed me the full amount due in cash.

Concerned that I not had the opportunity to explain the situation personally I wrote the guest a letter of apology and explaination the same day. Cleanliness is a byword of Alvey House and we take exception to the claim that the room had an obnoxious smell

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chorley, Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

Roy and Margaret are fantastic hosts, they make you feel like part of the family, nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast is especially good, as you choose what you would like and it is cooked personally for you, and a fantastic choice. They are very knowledgeable about the area, and will suggest day trips, and help you organise them. We would highly recommend this hotel and cannot believe one of the reviews, they must have stayed somewhere else !! go to this hotel,, it is a must

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank philcaw
Gaerwen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

We were knocked out by the gorgeous view over the mountains and surrounding farmland (ask for room 4 if it's available)

The owners were friendly, welcoming and very accommodating.

We tried Mr King's wonderful full Scottish Breakfast and then had to walk it off with a long stroll around the adjacent golf course. Didn't bother with lunch that day!

Relaxing with a malt in front of a roaring log fire in the cosy residents lounge, was just the ticket after a cold day on the hill.

We were about a 20 minute drive away from the skiing at Cairngorm mountain and frankly, we were far happier staying in the lovely village of Newtonmore than crowded, commercialised Aviemore.

Alvey House is a real gem of a find - clean, comfortable and great value for money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

I also stayed in the B&B that DOES try and advertise itself as a hotel.
If the decor was supposed to be in keeping with a Victirian Mansion House it must have spent some time in a tardis.
I may well have stayed in the same room as the other reviewer. The shower door worked fine.... and I was glad to get out of it. It was hardly a trickle of water and I couldn't touch my toes without popping the shower door open with either my head or my bottom.
Battery chickens are bred in keeping with regulations. It doesn't make it good or right!
Breakfast was rubbish. Packed lunch was the worst little bag of food I have ever paid for.
The place looks nice from the outside but that is where my positive comments end!
Like the other reviewer, I don't complain or write bad reviews unless I am sorely disappointed. On this occassion I was.
The owner was most bizarre.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
alveyhouse, Owner at Alvey House, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Given that Joe Chunk has never been registered as a Guest and that we did not receive a complaint from him at the time of his so called disastrous stay in August I consider the review to be malicous
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

Another glorious week spent at Alvey House in the middle of the glorious Highlands. As a young family (3 year old and 6 year old) we have been back to Alvey again and again. There is so much to do in the area and as Roy and Margaret (our hosts) have grandchildren of their own, they are always able to direct us to the best spots to keep the kids entertained, rain or shine (or both as is often the case!).
A traditional Victorian home which has been tastefully converted to a guest house with a variety of rooms, Alvey is full of charm and character.
As ever, our room (this time the large family room, though we have previously used the combination of double/twin and single) was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. There was a child monitor left in the room for us so that we could put the kids to bed then head down to the guest lounge for a tipple in front of the fire before retiring ourselves.
Each morning a full cooked breakfast set us up for the day and our hosts even put together a packed lunch for us on the days that requested.
Once again we were sad to leave but know that we will be north bound on the A9 again soon.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SaMitch
Stirling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

Just back from 2 days in this Hotel, which is really just a B+B.
Room was small and VERY dated. The ensuite is the smallest I have ever suffered and I have stayed in a lot of places. I could hardly fit in the shower cubicle, not that I was missing out on a flood of water from the shower rose. Amazingly poor.
The owners were some what bizarre in their antics, watching our every moves. The breakfast was below mediocre, although the girl that serves us was very pleasand and the only nice thing I would say about the experience.
I don't often take time to write reviews, but what was a fantastic trip, was really let down by the 'hotel' experince.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
alveyhouse, Owner at Alvey House, responded to this review, September 1, 2010
I would make the following observations to the review -never again
We are a three star Visit Scotland Guest House and do not promote ourselves as a Hotel
Alvey House was a Victorian Merchants House and the decor is purposely in keeping with that era
The Guest stayed for two days and did not complain about any aspect of the accommodation or service, except to say the shower door was sticking when paying his bill. [on inspection this was not found to be the case]
All the rooms are en-suite and the size and layout comply with Building Regulations with regard to the size of the bedroom, showeroom and its fitments.
As owners we only met the guest at check in, breakfast and departure, at which time the normal pleasantries were exchanged.
Other Guests who were present during the same period wrote positive comments in our visitors book on all aspects of their stay. These views are confirmed in every other Trip Advisor Review
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed for one night only in the family room which was spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was fine but we didn't get to speak to the hostess enough as she was preparing for a big party arriving that evening.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family