“Let down by poor service”
Review of Crown Hotel

Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chertsey
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Written on behalf of a colleague who stayed at the hotel last week. Her comments after staying at the crown echo what seems to be the common denominator looking through the reviews on here and what I learnt from my own experience last year.

The rooms at this place aren't too bad. Although a little hot, but with the current weather, could not be helped. The problem with this place is the staff (and the food!). Whether poor training or simply blind ignorance some are arrogant, others are unhelpful and the rest are too busy chatting to each other to care!!

She ordered room service as she was on her own, by the time the food got to her, it was cold, and half was overcooked. We would both recommend eating out. Breakfast was no overly busy; with maybe 7 or 8 tables, but the food took an age to come, and when it did arrive, the poached eggs were virtually raw.

Overall, there are better places to stay locally, where the staff appreciate their guests and actually give a damn. If eating out is preferred, there are some quite nice local pubs or restaurants too.

Some staff training required!!! Saying that, some are past help!!!

Charles

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for leaving a comment on behalf of your friend,although i find your comment quite confusing.
At the point of her stay ,we actually had no food on offer as we are in the process of a beautiful refurbishment and breakfast was a breakfast bag of fresh goodies delivered to the room.
Due to this as i am sure you can understand, your comments on her behalf came as a great surprise.

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the crown hotel on Saturday evening. My sister arrived prior to me with 4 other males from our group. They were all 19-20, my sister rang me to say the lady at the desk said to remind you, you haven't paid. This annoyed me as I was well aware we hadn't paid! When I arrived at the hotel 1 hour later, the lady on the desk told me this AGAIN! She then said she needs to take a pre-authorisation of £300 for the 3 rooms I had at a discounted rate of £79 each, I didn't understand why she took more than the overall price but seems as I was told the difference would go straight back in as soon as soon as the bill is paid the following day, I didnt question it. The next day once paid I checked my bank and the money had not gone in. There was a lady complaining that she had been told the same as me but yet her money wasn't in either. During this complaint I learnt that her group had been charged less for their authorisation than their actual room prices, when I questioned why we had been charged more the duty manager said incase we used the bar so I then questioned why this other group had not been charged more and was told because a different staff member had checked that group in! So there seems to be discrepancies in the way staff run the check in and also in the information they are giving customers. I did feel because we were a young black group we were treated differently to the white middle aged group. We had breakfast bags because the kitchen was closed, hence why we got a discount after having to complain about this also. The contents of the bag was not to be desired so we left it. Other than the bad service the rooms are lovely and it is in a nice location. Regarding when I got my money back, I had to phone my bank Tuesday who told me it takes 7 working days for this to come back in if the hotel don't claim it. This was HSBC.

• Stayed: July 2013
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Guest
I am sorry there was confusion regarding your credit card authorisation ,I will speak to my team and re-establish with the new team members the company procedure; it is quite normal to request a preauthorisation but clearly there was some confusion in this case, as we don't ask people to pay on arrival ,we simply require to pre-auth their card.

I am sorry that you felt the colour of your skin was relevant in this matter. This comment I find very offensive and completely untrue ,we are an equal opportunities employer and as such find this comment unfair and has no standing in this matter.

I am very pleased you liked your rooms and hope you choose the Crown in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stay here for work as it is close to our head office and the train station 500 meter walk

I really like it. The rooms are good and food excellent and I have never had an issue with the staff. Maybe it is because I go there often so they have got to know me?

It is not a 5 star hotel but I am not looking for this (I stay at those types of places for work as well)

We get a good corporate rate but I dont think the "normal" rate would be too expensive as it is also includes breakfast.

Generally pricing of meals is all relative and this is the UK.

It is often fully booked out mostly by business people so it is worth booking in advance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Popped in to the crown to have a hot chocolate, sat outside in the nice courtyard area and the baby enjoyed watching the fish in the fish pond. The hot chocolate was yummy with lots of froth and marshmallows! Baby change facilities were good.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Nice, clean, comfortable rooms with good tea/coffee making facilities. Lovely courtyard / beer garden area. Nice food but drinks are overpriced. Judging by the comments on tripadvisor it appears that the majority of negative comments relate to the attitudes of the staff. I agree. They had no interest whatsoever. It's incredible that the hotel management is not taking on board comments of guests and addressing the one thing that brings this hotel down - the staff.

• Stayed: May 2013
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments ,of which i was very pleased that you found your room comfortable and enjoyed the food you were served on your stay".

I was however very disappointing that you felt that customers comments re our staff were not being taken on board . We always try to understand comments left by guests and use these constructively as a training tool on all positive or negative feedback .

I apologize if you felt our team let you down and request as there is no clarity on what the actual staff issues were ,that you contact me to share your thoughts and concerns.Without a clear understanding of the issues that you experienced, it is very difficult for us to implement any further training needs for you or any future guest.
With this in mind please feel free to give me a call at any point to discuss your thoughts and concerns i will be very pleased to speak to you.

I do hope to hear from you soon and see you at the Crown in the very near future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights with my family. Our lunchtime check-in was prompt and rooms were available immediately. Although rooms were spacious and clean, one of the rooms had a broken toilet seat and faulty kettle. This was reported to staff on two occasions who did nothing to rectify either problem.

The biggest issue I had with this hotel was the indifference of staff. As with previous reviews of this hotel, the breakfast service left a lot to be desired. It was difficult to get a staff member to take a breakfast order in the first instance, they were more interested in chatting to each other in the lobby/reception area than attending to guests. Near-empty condiments, no butter or milk on table on either morning. I could have also done without the manager / owner's 3 Alsatian dogs running around.

Average hotel let down by staff.

• Stayed: June 2013
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest
I apologise if you felt our staff were indifferent to you ,we have taken on board yours and other guests comments and are addressing them with our team.

Your comment re dogs:
The 3 German shepherd dogs are NEVER allowed to run around ,so i think you are mistaken with this remark. We are a dog friendly venue but do insist all dogs must be on a lead and controlled by their owners.

We do hope you will visit us again and experience as have many other pleased guests, that the Crown is a great venue to stay.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed for one night on business. Friendly and efficient check in, there was some doubt over the readiness of the room I had been allocated, so this was immediately changed to one which was ready. Good standard room, with complimentary bottled water and good selection of toiletries. I went to the bar for a meal and before looking at the menu or wine list asked for a glass of red, deciding on a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon after discussion with the bar staff. I should have checked the price more closely first - £9.20, even for a large glass, is a bit steep, even for Surrey! Food was good quality and a decent sized portion, perhaps a cut above standard pub grub, and served by friendly staff. Starters were priced at around £5 to 7, mains from around £10 to 20.

After a good night's sleep, breakfast service was OK but no more. Certainly not quite as good or efficient as the previous evening's experience. I asked for a pot of tea but was bought a pot of coffee - quickly replaced though when requested. The full English breakfast was well cooked although not overly plentiful.

All in all, I would definitely stay again - but I'll check the bar prices before ordering next time!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chertsey
The Bridge Hotel
3 mi away
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!