“OK”

Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chertsey
“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Nice, clean, comfortable rooms with good tea/coffee making facilities. Lovely courtyard / beer garden area. Nice food but drinks are overpriced. Judging by the comments on tripadvisor it appears that the majority of negative comments relate to the attitudes of the staff. I agree. They had no interest whatsoever. It's incredible that the hotel management is not taking on board comments of guests and addressing the one thing that brings this hotel down - the staff.

• Stayed May 2013
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments ,of which i was very pleased that you found your room comfortable and enjoyed the food you were served on your stay".

I was however very disappointing that you felt that customers comments re our staff were not being taken on board . We always try to understand comments left by guests and use these constructively as a training tool on all positive or negative feedback .

I apologize if you felt our team let you down and request as there is no clarity on what the actual staff issues were ,that you contact me to share your thoughts and concerns.Without a clear understanding of the issues that you experienced, it is very difficult for us to implement any further training needs for you or any future guest.
With this in mind please feel free to give me a call at any point to discuss your thoughts and concerns i will be very pleased to speak to you.

I do hope to hear from you soon and see you at the Crown in the very near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights with my family. Our lunchtime check-in was prompt and rooms were available immediately. Although rooms were spacious and clean, one of the rooms had a broken toilet seat and faulty kettle. This was reported to staff on two occasions who did nothing to rectify either problem.

The biggest issue I had with this hotel was the indifference of staff. As with previous reviews of this hotel, the breakfast service left a lot to be desired. It was difficult to get a staff member to take a breakfast order in the first instance, they were more interested in chatting to each other in the lobby/reception area than attending to guests. Near-empty condiments, no butter or milk on table on either morning. I could have also done without the manager / owner's 3 Alsatian dogs running around.

Average hotel let down by staff.

• Stayed June 2013
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest
I apologise if you felt our staff were indifferent to you ,we have taken on board yours and other guests comments and are addressing them with our team.

Your comment re dogs:
The 3 German shepherd dogs are NEVER allowed to run around ,so i think you are mistaken with this remark. We are a dog friendly venue but do insist all dogs must be on a lead and controlled by their owners.

We do hope you will visit us again and experience as have many other pleased guests, that the Crown is a great venue to stay.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed for one night on business. Friendly and efficient check in, there was some doubt over the readiness of the room I had been allocated, so this was immediately changed to one which was ready. Good standard room, with complimentary bottled water and good selection of toiletries. I went to the bar for a meal and before looking at the menu or wine list asked for a glass of red, deciding on a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon after discussion with the bar staff. I should have checked the price more closely first - £9.20, even for a large glass, is a bit steep, even for Surrey! Food was good quality and a decent sized portion, perhaps a cut above standard pub grub, and served by friendly staff. Starters were priced at around £5 to 7, mains from around £10 to 20.

After a good night's sleep, breakfast service was OK but no more. Certainly not quite as good or efficient as the previous evening's experience. I asked for a pot of tea but was bought a pot of coffee - quickly replaced though when requested. The full English breakfast was well cooked although not overly plentiful.

All in all, I would definitely stay again - but I'll check the bar prices before ordering next time!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Arezzo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have stayed in this charming hotel for almost one week during a business trip. The personnel is overall kind and professional. Rooms are spacious and clean; the only issue I had was the dinner I had he day I left. I had already eaten in the restaurant, and I asked for a very good dessert (chocolate pie with icwe cream and liquid chocolate). I went eating into the pub, since I was there early. The dessert I was given was not even slightly comparable to the one I had the evening before, no ice cream nor chocolate topping, and tasted old.... but the price was the same. I recommend more consistency in food offering.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I booked in to hotel this week. The rooms was up to standard however service was absolutely terrible. First day breakfast I had to wait 20 minutes and had to ask for breakfast on least three occasions. On Thursday night I went to order food to sit with friends, then was advised food was off as pub was full of youths and they were serving them first before the clients staying at the hotel. Food then was eventually back on when I got it 45 mins later it was cold. There was noise all night with drunks shouting who stayed at the hotel.
On the Friday morning I wanted breakfast however staff was busy concentrating on youths staying in
Hotel so on asking for a tea they served 10 mins later with no milk or cutlery just walked off. At no time I. Was asked would I like breakfast. I would not recommend this place as staff do not look after its clients.

• Stayed June 2013
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Guest
We are very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience when you stayed with us recently.

The Youths you are referring were a wedding party whom as i am sure you saw, were a lively group that did require a great deal of attention by our team.

At no point would our team have consciously NOT tried to look after you, they very much enjoy looking after all of our bar and hotel guests,so apologies if you got this impression.

As you rightly stated ,we did stop food for a 20 minute period ,this was to reduce the orders that were backing up in the kitchen and the manager himself came over to speak to you to advise.He then came back to you when we were able to continue with orders and later checked back with you to see if all was ok.

Breakfast on the Friday morning was a breakfast buffet ,so i am unsure why you appeared not to have eaten.

Our apologies for any noise that occurred throughout the night,we did monitor these guests until gone 3am that evening and actually insisted that a number of them retired to their rooms. Our night porter also continued to monitor the best he could for the rest of the night,endeavoring to keep any noise to a minimum.

If you wish to discuss with me any element of your stay please feel free to call.
I would be very happy to speak to you personally and hopefully give you some assurances, that this experience is not what you would expect normally when visiting The Crown.

Once again our sincere apologies and we do hope you will come back to the Crown in the future.
Lloydminster, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

First time staying in Chertsey, after a day spent at the nearby Thorpe Park. The hotel was very easy to get to, and they thankfully had their own private car-park tucked in behind the building, as there was none available out on the street. The staff were warm, friendly and welcoming. We were pleasantly delighted by the room. We stayed in room 214. The bed was a decent size. Everything was clean, and the room was really nicely furnished. The curtains were nice and darkening, meaning we were able to sleep through the sunrise without getting disturbed by light entering the room. The walls were thick and we could not hear our neighbours at all while we were in our room. The bathroom was fancy and clean, and had a plentiful supply of shampoos etc, and even a shower-cap. Wifi was freely available, high-speed, and easy to connect to, even in our room. Plenty of tv channels and great reception. Food was wonderful too. We ordered room-service for dinner, including a 'sharing platter' of wings, ribs, wedges, and corn and it was very delicious - especially the ribs. We also ordered the sausages and mash which was delightful - the sausages tasted amazing. The food came quickly. All in all, this was a very comfortable stay, and if we ever came back to Chertsey we would stay here again for sure. The only down-side for us (and why I did not give it a full 5-star rating) was that there appeared to be no elevator. We had a couple of large suitcases, as we were trekking around the UK, and we had to lug the suitcases up a flight of stairs in order to get to our room. But, having said that, the stairs were not too far - we are young and fit and were able to carry them up without difficulty. The corridors were perfectly wide to allow us to take our suitcases down to our room without difficulty. There's also no swimming pool at this hotel, but that's no big deal. If we were staying here for more than one night that might have been a negative point for us, but as it was we didn't have time for a swim anyway. Would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: If you have large or heavy luggage, request a room on the ground floor to avoid having to use the st...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Spent one night but would stay for longer. Chosen for the area and also for being not too far from Gatwick airport. Staff were very helpful, cheerful and attentive. Bedroom was comfortable and the bathroom was roomy. The bar opens out onto the street but this doesn't detract. The breakfast was very enjoyable; good quality sausages and doorstep bread slices.

Room Tip: Ring or email.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chertsey
The Bridge Hotel
BEST WESTERN Ship Hotel Weybridge
Oatlands Park Hotel
Oatlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!