“Lovely rooms, poor service, very expensive”
Review of Crown Hotel

Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chertsey
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Lovely rooms, poor service, very expensive”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful room, although we had children with us and did phone a few months ago to confirm travel cot and pull out bed and this was not done. We had to chase a couple of times to get them to put the bed up. Service was hit and miss, some were quite surly - sorry to say it was mainly the girls, the boys were quite helpful. Got a decent rate for bed and breakfast but the hotel bar was very expensive, each round of two wines was £12. The food in the restaurant was overpriced but tasted good. Breakfast was good with a wide selection of hot and cold foods. Staff disappointed the stay, they weren't very friendly or helpful. We spent £200 in one stay and both the waitress and receptionist made a big deal about charging me £2.30 for a soft drink I requested at breakfast (I don't drink tea or coffee) which I thought was unnecessary.

• Stayed November 2012
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest
I am sorry to hear we did not come up to your expectations and let you down on your earlier request for extra beds.This should not have happened and i apologise for this,i am however pleased we were able to sort this out , all be it when you arrived.

I am also pleased you enjoyed the food you received ,our prices are inline with the local area and we only use fresh good quality products in all our dishes.

Regarding your drink at breakfast,I can only presume that you asked for a soft drink outside of the buffet selection, as there is a variety of fresh juices on offer in the morning. I do however take your point on board re having to pay for an additional item and will reveiw this with the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

if you drink here prepare to take out a second mortgage for some drinks, they are a hotel not a pub and as such the prices are somewhat inflated, plenty of other pubs in the area serving the same at cheaper so venture out the door

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Doncaster
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Lovely stay. Very nice large rooms that are well equipped. Food is very good and breakfast is not to be missed. Parking was readily available but seemed to fill up quickly. Will stay here again when next in the area on business.

• Stayed November 2012
Chertsey
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I went to the crown for my birthday and the food was terrible....and extremely overpriced. for a family of 4 we had 4 drinks and 2 courses and were charged £93 it was disgusting and i would warn people to stay away. Don't bother complaining like I did, the manager is ignorant and refuses to accept what a dive he runs!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alan P
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Guest
We have responded to you by email in a polite and courteus manner and as explained to you, for your wife to clearly state to one of our waiting team that "the service was wonderful and the food delicous" does contradict all that you have said.
Its a real shame you feel you do not wish to frequent the Crown in the futre, as i am sure you can see from many a guests prior reveiw, that plenty have loved the food,service and ambience we provide.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed for one night and had a twin room. Rooms were really claen and spacious. The staff were extremely attentive and very helpful. I would definitely stay again at this hotel again. Breakfast was lovely and made fresh to order and both check in and check out were seamless.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

A visit to The Crown at lunchtime will not disappoint. Whether you are looking for a traditional English pint and a pie or something more from the restaurant then you will be well looked after by Tony and his team. The bar and restaurant menu changes daily - not just the date at the top - so even with regular visits you can find a new dish of the day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I didn't stay in the hotel, but Trip Advisor didn't give me the option to review only the restaurant, so please ignore the score for "Rooms".

I actually stayed at the nearby(ish) Holiday Inn whilst on a business trip, but couldn't face another night in a 4* hotel bar/restaurant, so ventured a little further afield on this occasion.

A colleague had recommended Bar163 in Chertsey, but it was bereft of customers, so I ended up next door at The Crown.

Since I was "Billy no mates" for the evening, I opted to sit in the restaurant area, entertaining myself with my newspaper and smartfone, whilst drinking a beer and eating dinner.

The first thing to say is that the service was excellent. The waitress - a lady called Jackie, I think - was polite, friendly and very helpful. She seemed to care about what she was doing. Even the standard "Is everything OK with your meal sir?" question actually sounded genuine.

The food was well cooked and well presented. I had a main course and - due to the good service - decided to stay and have a pudding!

The food wasn't particularly cheap, hence my mediocre mark for "Value", but the overall experience was very pleasant, due mainly to the efforts of the waitress.

In summary, I would say that if you are dining on an expense account - as it is a little pricey - and are looking for friendly service in a relaxed, informal atmosphere, then The Crown, Chertsey is well worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chertsey
The Bridge Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
The Runnymede on Thames

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!