“Excellent Chef”

Ranked #26 of 48 Restaurants in Chertsey
Cuisines: International, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the all new Golden Grove public house, restaurant and garden. A landmark pub in Chertsey. A warm, inviting place with a home from home atmosphere for friends and family along with well behaved dogs to meet and enjoy great food and drink. The Golden Grove serves a fresh seasonal menu bursting with traditional dishes, only using locally sourced fresh ingredients and complemented by award winning wines, 6 forever changing real ales and International lagers, all at affordable prices. You can choose from one of our diverse areas at The Golden Grove, including an 80 seater restaurant with full table service, lounge area or the traditional pub both with real log fires as well as our huge garden complete with a kids play area. The Golden Grove specialises in party bookings and can accommodate most requirements. Please contact us to find out more information on our fantastic party booking offers. Our focus is on giving the local community and neighbourhood what they want in a local pub, and perhaps a little more.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The steaks on Tuesday nights have gotten to a point that I would rather eat them than be bothered to fire up my grill at home. But, the best food I've found is something they had one day as a special, a garlic chicken linguine. The bad thing is, they don't have it on the menu. Nick the Chef though is kind enough to make it special for me whenever I come in. It's creamy with a bite of garlic with moist chicken and the linguine is al dente and not over cooked. I've told the management there that they need to make it a standard menu item but I need everyone's help to convince them. So, if you get by the GG (lovely pub by the way) ask for Nick (he will come out to see you) and have him serve this up for you.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is a very hit and miss restaurant. They do have daily newspapers and dogs are allowed. They have a very nice outside area
Food is served all day but there are not enough staff in the bar. I always have to go looking for someone to serve me.! The food is ok to good.
We have never been there when everything is ok. From no bread, no fried food, no food whatever and one time no ketchup!!!

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Looks great from the outside after the refurbishment last year and I'd been looking forward to having a meal there. Unfortunately the service was poor, the food was only average and the waitress didn't return our change after paying - I don't know whether she assumed it was ok to keep the change (which would have worked out at a 20% tip) or just forgot to give us the change. We won't be returning.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Arrived at a not busy pub,the barman busy chatting away totally unaware I was at the bar.finally when I shouted my order over he finally served us.ordered food,starter came with no cutlery.twice had to ask for cutlery.then after a 20 minute wait the mains never came.the staff had not ordered it thru to the kitchen.the staff didn't care at all and didn't even say sorry.got a full refund and left disgusted.will never return.avoid this pub unless you want to be served by very young staff who are totally incompetent.staff training at this establishment is non existent. There are much better pubs within a 5 mile radius.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Front of house? call it that, it was one waitress not young thats all I will say.Rude, abrupt no we didnt want to have a table next to a waste bin! There were no other diners, the response was, 'well you can sit here or here or here etc as she waved her arm round an empty dining area.The beer was flat and off,' no its not' Wine glass tasted of cigarette smoke Sorry we wont be going back. When it re-opened we went there and the service was great as was the food what happened?