“Friendly with great food”

Otter's Spicy Cottage
Ranked #5 of 45 Restaurants in Chertsey
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Friendly with great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

Ate here this week and have to say that it was very nice. Ok, it wasn't busy, but it was early January and not many places are.
The service was quick, polite and attentive. The food was very tasty and the portion sizes although not huge, we're just right to leave you without that curry house bloated feeling. Value was ok.

All in all, I would definitely go back.

London, United Kingdom
“Best Curry for miles, portions a bit small”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have eaten here many times over the 14 years I have lived locally and have never had a bad meal. The portions, especially take away, do seem to be getting smaller though so it does work out expensive.

• Visited December 2011
“Good take away. Soulless restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

Just read previous review and would have to agree that dining at the restaurant is not a great experience. It is soulless and needs a good refurb. However, we have been using the take away service for a couple of years and find the food excellent. Best in the area.

Woking, United Kingdom
“NEVER EATEN SUCH AN AWFUL MEAL IN MY LIFE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I have been a regular patron of this restaurant and that of the owners brother, the School of Spice in Shepperton.
I have introduced several of my friends to both restaurants and have been happy to enjoy whatIi thought was a reasonable relationship with both proprietors, slightly favouring the Otters Spicy Cottage.
This evening my wife and I treated our friends to a meal to celebrate a birthday.
The restaurant was pretty empty, being a Tuesday evening, and we were shown to a table in the centre of the establishment.
Service was prompt as you might expect, however, having ordered some papadums and chutneys we were pesterd immediately by the waiter to order the main courses.
I declined to order as there was little rush for us, and on the second attempt to take the mains order I began to feel a little unwelcome.
We eventually gave the order and the ladies both specifically asked for their orders to be mild (mushroom bhaji and korma chicken) I ordered the chicken vindaloo, rice and sag aloo.
On presentation the ladies both were overloaded with sliced chillies in their dishes, the sag aloo bore no visible resemblance to the dish I had eaten there many times before, and tasting the vindaloo was like inhaling raw curry powder. I might say at this stage I am a 60 ( well 61 really) year old who has eaten more than my fair share of curries in counless countries including its' birthplace. I well know that a vindaloo properly prepared is food for the Gods, but a lazy uncaring Chef who just overloads chilli powder into a mediocre base does the restaurant no good whatsoever, and is just insolent to the customer palete.
It really surprised me that I had to rush from the table, just making it to the toilet in time to lose the contents of my stomach. This has never happened to me before in my life.
I couldn't take another mouthful of the foul food on my plate as I feared a second episode.
Because it was a birthday celebration I kept pretty quiet about what had happened to my dining companions, and did my best not to explode.
Not a question was asked by the waiter as to why I had left virtually all the food, nor whether I nor my company had enjoyed the meal.
Subsequent after dinner pot of tea was spilled without apology over my friends dress which to me added insult to injury!
I might say that throughout the meal the proprietror, who i have known for years sat at the counter without so much as an acknowledgement or concern over the carelessness of his staff.
I shall never ever eat at this establishment again and strongly advise you to do the same.
If you are tempted however I look forward to your comments.

• Visited November 2011