“Business Travellers Beware!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Chertsey
Edmonton, Canada
“Business Travellers Beware!”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I am an international traveller that loves to stay at hotels that are not the ordinary chain. I look for friendly atmosphere, clean room, nice facilities and quality. I have stayed at the Bridge Hotel with my family (three young boys) on vacation, and on my own many times during business layovers for many years.

The hotel is located above an English pub, next to the Thames River, with another pub accross the bridge opposite the Bridge. I has seen this hotel turn from a cosy, friendly hotel with a lovely pub/restaurant which catered for families to some thing that I cannot recommend to most travellers. A recent buyout has bought new management with new ideas and princinples.

First has gone is half the pub/resaurant, sacrificed for more hotel rooms. This pub was lovely with little nooks and cranies to hide out if you wanted a quiet pint, but had plently of room for the busy days. However the pub/restaurant is now too small to be any good and the menu has become poor, service has gone down, and the locals are abandoning this pub. It is certainly no longer family friendly as there is no room for families to be seated.

Instead the pub is now being filled with the binge drinkers as the hotel is now catering for the local wedding parties where guests need to start drinking early and crash later. Be prepared for the load shouting and swearing outside your non-air conditioned room.

If you are international traveller that arrives early or late, the hotel has introduced a ealrly check in/late check out fee even if your room is completely ready for you and unoccupied. As the manager quoted to me "we are trying to avoid the party guests from checking in too early". He stated he had no intention in changing this policy for international travellers that were not part of any party. Management attitude has changed from the family atmosphere to rules, rules and more rules! If only the airlines and conferences could follow the Bridge Hotel rules we would be in a great position!

Breakfast is now poor. Half harted attempt at a breakfast buffet. The full english is OK but you have to pay extra for that. Rooms are basic and clean, but non-air conditioned so you will have your windows open during the hot nights. Busy road may disturb light sleepers, but the late night reverlers will wake you up.

There are plently of other hotels in the Egham, Shepperton, Staines area that are much better than the Bridge Hotel. Avoid this one until a new buyout brings a "can do" attitude to its management and new owners. good luck is you choose to pick this one.

Room Tip: Pick the river side. Avosid the late night revele.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank WorldTraveller1170
gmbridge, General Manager at The Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Thank you for your review. Whilst I appreciate your disappointment in the pub being changed into an Hotel/Bar, as a business we have to make decisions based on profitability and it was decided that The Bridge Hotel's future lay in moving more to the Hotel/bar concept and away from the pub.

We do have an early checkin and checkout policy, I cannot answer for my predecessor, as the new GM I judge each case on its merits.

Procedures and systems have been put in place to ensure that we can deliver the best breakfast possible.

As the new GM I do have a can do attitude and understand how important happy and satisfied Guests are to our business. I hope that you do return inorder to see the improvements we have and are making.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for Valentines weekend. We expected a nice room, ( for a Bespoke Hotel) overlooking the river, to relax and enjoy a romantic break. The reality was we were stuck in a dingy room, which looked tired and in need of some brightening up, with a view of the noisy heating and ventilation system right outside our window, partially blocking the view of the double level car park on the other side. This hotel has no sound proofing whatsoever and every time someone walked around upstairs it was like a herd of elephants stampeding across the ceiling, to the extent where the light fittings actually shook! The floor must have been wonky as the drawers opened as soon as you shut them. There was one tiny chair and a small coffee table in the room, along with the rock hard bed. We discussed this matter with the receptionist who just kept apologising and saying that they may be able to give us a discount if we wanted to return.. (which, incidentally, wont be happening) all this after she had just placated the previous guest for something he had complained about. On turning to walk out, the other 4 guests checking out behind us stopped us and said " well done for complaining, our stay was exactly the same"!!
We travel a lot for both business and pleasure and unfortunately won't be using a bespoke hotel again. It will be interesting to see if our comment card we left at reception gets a response. I am not holding my breath!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jaydubbleyou
gmbridge, General Manager at The Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Thank you for your review, unfortunately we only have a certain amount of river view rooms and I can only apologise for the room not meeting your expectations. We had not advertised a Valentines weekend package as we are not that sort of hotel. We merely offered our standard, discounted weekend rate and did not actively promote anything special. However as it was Valentines weekend we were extremely busy and I understand that some guest were a little noisy, I can only apologise for this. I will be responding to your comment card and apologise for the delay as I was on annual leave.

Travelers are raving about these Chertsey hotels

The Netherlands
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel after recommendation from friends. It's right next to the River Thames and very close to the motorway, heathrow without it being overly noisy. Our room was on the side of the building, so we had little noise from the road or traffic. If you stay at this hotel - i'd recommend bringing a car (the parking is free) as the train station is a little bit of a walk (20minutes). Alternatively, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel.

The room was clean, spacious and modern. There was the latest TV's, tea and coffee making facilities and the room was comfortable to sleep in. Upon arrival, the receptionist was friendly and very helpful in answering any of our questions.

One slight negative point was the noise from the hallway. During Friday night we were woken up by the noise of people coming back to their rooms (around 2/3 am). This was just a slight hinderence.

There was the possibility to use a local gym (that was in the centre of the town and not near the hotel). This was a slight inconvenience, but it was nice to be given the option.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. I was delighted to read that you had a great stay. I can only apologise about the corridor noise, unfortunately as it was Valentines weekend some people were really enjoying themselves!!
Notts
Reviewed September 26, 2010

On first arrival, our room looked fine. It was basic, what I expected for the price, but ok. However, when we started to look around it was apparent how dirty it was. It was so dusty that both me and my partner were coughing and sneezing all the time. The carpet had a big cigarette burn in it. When we looked in the bathroom it was even worse. Rusty towel rail, scum round the bath and a sink that we couldn't get to properly because it was a disabled room (we had not requested this).
Our room was on the ground floor and situated right next to the bar. We could hear everything the kitchen staff did (even switching on electric sockets). There was continuous crashing of crockery / cutlery.
My parents stayed in the room next door. Above them they had a store room / kitchen that was very noisy. It was noisy all through the night too.
To top off the stay, the bed felt like a plank of wood. It was ridiculously hard and very uncomfortable.
I know you only get what you pay for, however I would say that cleanliness and a bit of quite should come as standard.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
gmbridge, Manager at The Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered. The room you stayed in was one of our oldest rooms and is now out of order and in the process of a complete refurbishment. We are currently refurbishing our 4 oldest rooms and building 5 new executive rooms so we will no longer have the problems you encountered with an older room.
England
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Just returned from a two night stay. Much improved since our last stay three years ago. The room we stayed in appeared to have been recently refurbished, the view over the river as good as ever and all the staff we met seemed very helpful. Had a nice dinner in the restaurant. The only downside. I think breakfast is expensive but after walking into the centre of Chertsey we had breakfast for half the price of the hotel. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind comments we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
the world
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This was by far the best hotel we have stayed in, in Europe, for this budget. Upon arrival we were greeted by a really friendly receptionist, and all staff were very friendly throughout our 2 night stay. We were in a standard double room, which was very spacious, nicely decorated, large bed, and very clean. The shower was nice. The attached restaurant was nice, and we felt comfortable having a drink there. It is very close to Thorpe Park.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
cambridge
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Stayed at hotel following day out locally, reception staff very friendly and helpful, room had view looking out over river and chertsey bridge (very pretty and nice waking up to sound of family of ducks!). Was very clean and comfortable, room had everything you need to relax and unwind.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chertsey
Travelodge Chertsey Hotel
#2 of 3 in Shepperton
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to The Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!