“Spoilt our anniversary dinner.”

The Botany Bay Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Kingsgate
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Spoilt our anniversary dinner.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Today is our anniversary, 36 years, so I had booked to visit the Fayreness Hotel restaurant. We arrived 5 minutes early, and waited by the lectern to be shown to our table. We were still waiting 10 minutes later, despite having 3 different staff members walk past and ignore us. A waitress then approached us, and was very surprised to be told that we had a booking. She found us on the list and showed us to our table, and took our order for drinks. On her return with the drinks, we ordered soup for me and prawn cocktail for my wife, scampi for me and steak for my wife. She returned a few minutes later, to say that they didn't have any prawns, so the prawn cocktail was off, and my wife opted for the soup. After a while, the soup was served, with some rustic looking bread, which looked rather nice. However, it wasn't long before we discovered that the bread was, in fact, frozen, and was rock hard in the middle. When the waiting staff came to clear away, we informed them that the bread was served frozen. When the main was served, I was surprised to find that I had no plate, but rather a wooden board with a shallow dish and a mini metal bucket on top, along with a small pot containing tartare sauce.
The small dish had chips at one end, and salad leaves at the other, and the bucket was lined with greaseproof paper, and contained the scampi and a lemon wedge.
I ate my meal half-heartedly, and tried to pretend things were fine to my wife, but she knows me too well, and we both decided we had had enough, and I asked for the bill. I wondered if they might have deducted a little because of the frozen bread, but no!, they only added a pint of San Miguel that we hadn't had nor ordered. I paid the bill, minus the phantom beer, and did not include a tip. I would not recommend this venue to anyone. The whole experience was poor, from start to finish, and I will not be returning any time soon.

1 Thank David H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kent
“Food very poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have been here many times before for coffee, evening meals and lunches, taking friends and family however, since this hotel/restaurant has been taken over by the current chain it has definitely gone down. The prices have increased considerably and the food is sub-standard. We would never recommend this as a place to eat ~ disgraceful!

• Visited November 2012
London
“Awful food, lovely views”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is my local, I have been here many many times but recently I'd say the food has definitely gone down hill. Surely no one can go wrong with a cheese ploughmans? And for £7.50 you'd be forgiven for thinking that they feel fairly confident that their ploughmans hits the spot....it awful.
The first sign was the great big apple on the place, bruised and battered beyond belief. The menu says warm bread..you get cold and stale focaccia, the cheese is the only good object on the plate but it's cheese, so cutting it up is as demanding as cheese gets.
The waitress who collects your plates won't be asking you how your meal was, she knows and is quite obviously embarrassed by the whole event.
Sack the chef, anyone who thinks its ok to send a plate of food out with a beaten up piece of fruit and a cold slab of stale bread doesn't deserve to be wearing a chefs hat the size that it is.
It's a shame because its a lovely place to bring the family, great views out to sea and a nice crowd...just don't eat in here unless you want to feel over charged and left thinking that you could've dished up a higher standard of food yourself.

• Visited November 2012
Margate, United Kingdom
“Dire”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Cold and uninviting, in need of a make over. Long time waiting for service, food awful obviously had been kept hot for hours as the pastry was solid and the meat tough and dried out. When I paid the bill I told the waitress to report back that it was one of the worse meals I have ever had. No one came out to see us. We will never ho backagain.

• Visited October 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Worst meal ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We went for a meal in the restaurant tonight. The place was cold so asked for the heating to be put on! Other people were sitting eating in their outdoor coats! The place is very shabby and outdated. The menu is small and very poor. The service was terribly slow although the young waitresses were polite. The food was terrible. My partner ordered the pate...... it looked like a lump of Spam and tasted like it! My pie was so baked up that I couldn't cut the pastry! The only good part were the onions rings.... homemade and tasty !An awful night that upset my mum (it was her idea to go there)and cost us £80! A really disappointing evening.