“Impressed”
Review of Captain Digby

Captain Digby
Reserve with OpenTable
Captain Digby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Kingsgate
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: With a unique childrens outdoor and indoor play area close to the bar serving snacks and light meals. Our restaurant is separate and raised from our bar area with our ever so popular restaurant menu. A friendly, family pub and restaurant with spectacular cliff top views close to the beach. Providing fresh home cooked food and local real ale.Catering for all ages all year round serving food from 12pm till 9.30pm/10pm 7 days a week.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stopped here whilst walking the viking coastal trail. Nice friendly staff, reasonably priced food of exceptional standard. I had muscles and sweet potato fries. I can honestly say they were the best muscles I have ever had.... delicious! I would definitely recommend a meal at The Captain Digby!

1  Thank Debbie M

Reviewed July 8, 2014

What a great place to have a good, hearty meal. The extensive variety on offer is well proportioned and freshly cooked. All staff are friendly and the service is fast, although you don't feel rushed. A word of warning thou, on a hot sunny day, you may get a text from your mobile provider to welcome you to Belgium.

2  Thank Andy A
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Just had a great meal at Captain Digby. I can vouch that the Chicken pie was fantastic, rack of ribs great and also the fish & chips.
The staff were very obliging and we had a great evening, thank you much appreciated.

1  Thank Jules1964_13
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I've been here a lot over the years as I have family in the area. When my kids were small they could use the indoor playground, but now they're much older we sit at the 'grown-ups' end! Always a good menu, specials & friendly staff. If you only want to go for a beer it's a bit cramped in the bar; but as most go to eat, it's OK.
Yes, I'll go back as I have done over the space of about 20 years.... And they cater for parties & celebrations. We held a 'do' for my old Mum last Xmas and the staff were willing & accommodating.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We have used this venue several times. My wife chose a steak 5* there is a choice of potatoes and comes with a salad or vegetables. I had the Cajun chicken nan bread and rice, the portions are very generous. The sauce is very moreish 6*. As usual the staff were very attentive and friendly.

The downside of this venue.

They used to have place mats, they have disappeared. Consequently on a highly polished table my bottle of wine slide from one side to the other. Cottage furniture is a popular style of furnishing for many venues.

The table for 2 we sat at has a central column with nowhere to stretch your legs. The chairs although padded (that is a bonus in some venues) are clearly uncomfortable as the upright bars at the back of the chair are worn down to the bare wood where customers have fidgeted. You can not sit back with a straight back.

For a very busy and popular venue with a menu that is NOT "Pub grub" it would be nice if the company spent some money making the customers a little more comfortable.

2  Thank Jaye5848