“No push chairs allowed”
Review of Captain Digby

Captain Digby
Reserve with OpenTable
Captain Digby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Kingsgate
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: With a unique childrens outdoor and indoor play area close to the bar serving varied meals and portion sizes. Our restaurant is separate and raised from our bar area with our ever so popular restaurant cliff top view. A friendly, family pub and restaurant with spectacular views close to the beach. Providing fresh home cooked food and local real ale.Catering for all ages all year round serving food from 12pm till 9/9.30pm 7 days a week.
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Turned up with my family. On entry was told I could not bring in my push chair. I explained I would fold it up and keep my baby in his seat. But was told that was not possible. So I had to take the chair back to the car. Not the best start to our visit. We then ordered burger, and fish. Burger was raw and fish sub standard. Also over heard others saying how bad things were. Then saw a old gentleman being turn away because he had a dog. No dogs in the bar any more no push chairs even when folded away, would understand if this was a up market place, but this is certainly not a elite establishment. The managers should be ashamed.

1  Thank millsretrace

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Went for Sunday lunch. I'd never visited, but husband had.......donkey's years ago. We had a warm welcome, were shown a good table and were served quickly. The restaurant was fairly busy, but not heaving. Drinks were good, my coffee hot with choice of cream or milk, and Guinness, really cold. Sunday roasts....pork or beef....lovely, great slab of meat, lots of fresh veg, extra gravy and all the usual trimmings. All piping hot and well presented. Was really full, had no room for puds, but judging by other diners plates - all dishes huge! A great place for families with children, elderly and people in wheelchairs all accommodated for quickly. We are quite picky, but could not find a fault with anything, so look forward to the next visit. Great location too, overlooking Kingsgate Bay.....reminded me of Cornwall a bit. Great! Really good value for money.

1  Thank non-bias
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I wanted to write this review because of the poor reviews I have read. The Captain Digby is good value in my opinion. I have enjoyed the food there on several lunchtime occasions, not perfect perhaps, but I have not had a bad meal so far. Possibly it depends on the time and pressure of the restaurant, which can fill quite quickly. The staff have been attentive, friendly and helpful and I am certainly going back. There is a seating area outside overlooking the bay and spectacular scenery. We arrived in a storm once and watched entralled as the waves crashed against the cliffs over the bay. Good seafood platter that day, too, I remember. Coffee club weekday mornings, I think.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have been going to the digby over the years a lot to celebrate, birthdays, births, weddings and anniversarys and have alway had a great meal. My daughter was 18 so we decided to celebrate with a family meal at the digby. There was 10 of us aged 15 years to 95. The service was terrible we waited hour and half for our meals. This you can image ruined an evening. The lady in charge was unhelpful and rude trying to blame everyone else. The table behind us experienced the same service. I will never go back and will never recommend it to any of my friends.

1  Thank Lesley P
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We've eaten at the a couple of times, usually for the scampi & chips which was the plan this evening, however we were tempted by a couple of combo meals, I had the rump steak surf & turf, my partner, the chicken & ribs. I asked for my steak medium rare, but it was underdone and had rested a little too long as it wasn't very hot. As the rest of the meal was, and I really don't mind underdone steak, I ate it. The rest of the meal was OK however the onion rings weren't great and the promised tomato didn't materialise. My partner's meal however was even more disappointing. The BBQ ribs seemed to be ribs with a paper pot of BBQ sauce on the side. He had salad rather than veg and completely ruined his meal by tipping the salad bowl onto the plate - there was rather a lot of water in the salad bowl which then rendered his chips inedible.

On a positive note, the service was good.