If slightly down at heel country hotel is your scene this is your dream. Set in the most beautiful countryside it is a very good base for walking or visiting the many attractions near by.
Service was usually good and the staff were helpful.
Our room (9) was large but it could do with redecorating and a better wardrobe. It had a wash basin but strangely not in the bathroom/ toilet. The bathroom had a large bath with shower attachment. On the plus side there was plenty of hot water, and the central heating was good.
Breakfast was very good with bread, croissant, meats including hand carved ham, juices etc. In addition you could order toast and afterwards you could order a cooked breakfast (?). The cooked breakfast was freshly cooked to order with decent sausages.
The evening meal was also very good but slightly expensive for what it was.
Parking is by permit.
Not much nearby, just the Saracen's Head which does serve still cider. Their restaurant seems to be permanently fully booked.
Overall I would say it is a homely hotel and I would go back again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Lodge at Symonds Yat East has an idyllic setting in the heart of the Wye Valley in an area of outstanding natural beauty where the River Wye cuts a swathe through a wooded gorge on the edge of the spectacular Royal Forest of Dean.The Lodge is nestled just below Symonds Yat Rock and stands exclusively in grounds of almost 5 acres overlooking the river. It has terraced gardens of magnolia trees and a well established wisteria. The Royal was originally built in 1876 as a Royal hunting lodge and was converted to a hotel in the 1920's. It has had a full and extensive refurbishment in 2008 and is managed by Graham Howells who has overseen the transformation and ensures that the level of service reflects the new development and idyllic location. The Royal Lodge is a great place to unwind with long relaxing walks in outstanding scenery. The hotel is also well situated to explore the Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and the South Wales coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- The Royal Lodge Symonds Yat, England