Booked to stay here with my parents from New Years eve until 2nd January 2013. Prior to our departure from home, we received a phone call updating us on the road situation due to the flooding. This was a very welcomed, very thoughtful telephone call and meant that our journey to Symonds Yat went with the minimum amount of disruption.
On our arrival, we received a very warm , friendly welcome and was assisted with our luggage to our rooms. Having stayed here before, on a previous New Year, we knew roughly what to expect, but we were very pleasantly surprised as the rooms have been decorated and are now updated, very clean and comfortable.
The food throughout our stay was lovely and superbly presented. Drinks from the bar we found to be expensive, however the bottles of wine we chose with our meals, seemed to be more reasonably priced.
The staff worked really hard to ensure everyone was looked after well and I cannot thank them enough for the understanding shown, when dealing with our small party due to one of my parents having some health problems.
I have never stayed here during the summer months, but can imagine it must get very busy, so the service may waiver slightly, but we have no hesitation recommending The Royal Lodge for a warm, friendly New Year break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Lodge at Symonds Yat East has an idyllic setting in the heart of the Wye Valley in an area of outstanding natural beauty where the River Wye cuts a swathe through a wooded gorge on the edge of the spectacular Royal Forest of Dean.The Lodge is nestled just below Symonds Yat Rock and stands exclusively in grounds of almost 5 acres overlooking the river. It has terraced gardens of magnolia trees and a well established wisteria. The Royal was originally built in 1876 as a Royal hunting lodge and was converted to a hotel in the 1920's. It has had a full and extensive refurbishment in 2008 and is managed by Graham Howells who has overseen the transformation and ensures that the level of service reflects the new development and idyllic location. The Royal Lodge is a great place to unwind with long relaxing walks in outstanding scenery. The hotel is also well situated to explore the Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and the South Wales coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- The Royal Lodge Symonds Yat, England