Booked a 2 night stay via Groupon for a bargain £129 inclusive of continental breakfast and evening meal (3 courses) both nights.
Great location, great view from big room (number 1) overlooking the River Wye. Good spot for ease to other pubs and walk up to Yat Rock (stunning view!)
Couldn't fault the room, living room / sleeping area. Perfect for resting after a day out. Shower did tend to spray everywhere though but was nice and hot.
Dining area was a bit like your nans front room (dated) as opposed
To a restaurant. Good choice of
Food. Nice starters and mains ok - haddock too fishy (personal opinion!) and steak too chewy! Would have been a little annoyed if had paid full prices (ie if not through Groupon deal). Atmosphere was a bit dull in the dining room / restaurant so felt uncomfortable at times as others could listen to conversation!!
Couldn't fault the staff at all - very welcoming.
All in all me and my boyfriend had a lovely 2 night stay and would recommend it - though would suggest eating at Saracens Head one of the nights, as menu was the same more or less on night 2 of stay. Breakfast was lush - £2 upgrade to full English - really good (and didn't seem too unhealthy!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Lodge at Symonds Yat East has an idyllic setting in the heart of the Wye Valley in an area of outstanding natural beauty where the River Wye cuts a swathe through a wooded gorge on the edge of the spectacular Royal Forest of Dean.The Lodge is nestled just below Symonds Yat Rock and stands exclusively in grounds of almost 5 acres overlooking the river. It has terraced gardens of magnolia trees and a well established wisteria. The Royal was originally built in 1876 as a Royal hunting lodge and was converted to a hotel in the 1920's. It has had a full and extensive refurbishment in 2008 and is managed by Graham Howells who has overseen the transformation and ensures that the level of service reflects the new development and idyllic location. The Royal Lodge is a great place to unwind with long relaxing walks in outstanding scenery. The hotel is also well situated to explore the Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and the South Wales coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Hotel.de so you can book your The Royal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- The Royal Lodge Symonds Yat, England