“Two nights of stress free bliss”

and 1 more site!
Forest View Guest House
Ranked #3 of 6 Symonds Yat B&B and Inns
“Two nights of stress free bliss”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My fiancée and I had 2 nights at the forest view. We were asked to park in a specific place but were grateful it was free and the owners were very organised and cared about all their guests being able to accommodate their cars. Checking in was a breeze and breakfast was booked for a time we were more than happy with and what a breakfast it was!!! Full English as standard that you didn't have to pay extra for!!!! Also cereals, fruit, yoghurt and fruit juice, great choice. Our room had the most amazing view over the river and we could sit in bed in the morning with a cup of tea and check our surroundings out. It was an extremely calming and relaxed place to stay. We were very lucky as we managed to mooch about the following day after the owners allowed us to keep our car in their car park for a little while longer rather than pay the cost of the public car park. The owners were very polite and helpful and Jon has a very dry sense of humour, which we appreciated! Shame other reviewers didn't feel the same, they obviously don't share the same sense of humour or maybe don't have one at all????? Defo coming back!!!

Room Tip: Room with a view? Room 11 could be for you!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank alexander_cooke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Staff, rooms and owners all excellent. The views from the rooms are spectacular. The owners went out of their way to look after us.There is plenty of parking, and some nice walks from here.The breakfast was excellent. It was nice to just sit in a pretty garden and admire the views.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side have really good views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My recent three day stay at the Forest View was my fourth visit in the last two years.I must say it gets better and better.I love the good old fashioned service you get and the wonderful hearty breakfasts.All the rooms I have stayed in have been very comfortable and I have slept really well.
The owners John & Gill are lovely people and make you so welcome.Thoroughly recommend this Hotel to anyone wanting a peaceful,relaxing break in a very picturesque setting.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice.....rooms with a view are special.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 8Ray
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My partner and I stayed here last year. We booked from late rooms, on a total whim and I must say we were blown away with the value for money. The grounds are not tired they are simply relaxed and in a country surrounding. The views are not just the best in the area but some of the best I have ever witnessed in and outside of the UK. Breakfast is not as rigid as other people are saying, last time we stayed although it was early there was a 45min period. What do people expect for a family run business? Again remember how much you're paying people. The parking is absolutely fine and the gentleman does have a quirky personality, we found him great however. The lady was delightful, she showed us around all the rooms as we new we would be back (we stayed in quieter months & in the week). From this we have rebooked for room five (panoramic views). The rooms and beds were perfectly cosy. We decided to eat out as there are some very highly regarded restaurants in the area. We saw the menu at forest view and it looked like perfectly comforting home cooked food (3 choices) with great value! The owners were more than happy to discuss other restaurant choices with us as we openly said we were after something a little more high end. With no disrespect at all.

The breakfast was great! Amazing black pudding and plenty of drinks and fruit etc. I nearly asked for just eggs and tomatoes and they were happy to oblige- so you can mix it up - it's not 'regimented' as the other reviewers have said. Im a real foodie so it was great to see locally sourced meat and bright, bright egg yolks! The area is the most peaceful and tranquil place we have ever stayed, even in a cold October it was romantic and charming. The place is filled with pubs to grab a vino and relax & if you're outdoorsy like us there is soooo much to get upto. There are so many little gems within 5/10 miles but we really rate The Moody Cow for exceptional food and wine. For two people 2 courses with drinks £50/60.

We are coming to stay this Saturday for our much anticipated 1st anniversary and I can only hope this slice of heaven is as wonderful as it was before! Money well spent- especially when you think an Ibis in the city can cost as much- if not more. I just can't wait to go back!!!

Daisy x

Room Tip: We walked around all the rooms and they were all gorgeous. 5 2 & 8 were our favourite. 5 has a p...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daisy S
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay (23rd-25th) with our friends, absolutely love the hotel.

The rooms are lovely and the staff and owners are very helpful and very pleasant, they went out of their way to help our group.

If you get the chance hire canoes or kayaks it's a fantastic experience.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank HSSCJS
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Booked in at Forest View to go fishing with Dave Harrell. Had a great stay in a lovely room with stunning views. Jon and Gill were really welcoming and made me feel at home. They couldn't have been nicer. Jon was also able to put me on fish on the Wye. He knows his stuff. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Try to get one that overlooks the river, lots do.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Pembroke, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night as part of a recent mini break. As we arrived in the car park we were met by a quite abrupt and rude gentlemen who proceeded to tell me that I could not park where I had and told me to move my car and park underneath the trees as they had seven other cars arriving that day. He stood and watched me park where I had to fight my way to the boot of my car through nettles to get our luggage - not a good start! Later we noticed that a white van had arrived and was able to park in my original spot.
Proceeded to check in and we were asked if we required breakfast in the morning, they should have known that we did as we had booked it, we were then told that breakfast was at 8.45am, no option.
Guest House is situated in a great location and we had a great view from our room, however the proprietors do seem to treat their guests in an unfortunate manner which is a shame as this place could be so much better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Neil T
Gill H, Owner at Forest View Guest House, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
We are in the fortunate position of having our own private off road FREE car park. We can with a squeeze fit in ten cars. Unfortunately we get people who are not even staying here trying it on by just leaving their cars to avoid paying the charge imposed on the other car parks.
It would appear from this review and a couple of other recent ones that people do not like being told how to park,and that I come over has grumpy or rude, I feel certain that these reviewers would be the first to moan if someone parked in their parking space or on there property.
So be ware if you are booking here, you may be met by an old, grumpy rude car park attendant.
But once inside I feel sure, just like a majority of our guests, you will feel relaxed and happy to be here and most of you are glad that the grumpy old man is keeping your cars and bikes and canoes safe.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Symonds Yat
#1 of 6 in Symonds Yat
Thatch Close Farm B&B
Thatch Close Farm B&B
#1 of 1 in Llangrove

Been to Forest View Guest House? Share your experiences!