“Top Rate Staff - Great Food - Excellent Location”

The Saracens Head Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Symonds Yat B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Just spent a brilliant weekend at the Saracens Head. River was high but not at all a problem.
First prize regarding this place does not go to the absolutely fantastic location or the great food it goes to the staff. We have stayed in hotels all over the world and can say without doubt that the staff are up there with the best. They could not have been more attentive, helpful and professional. Whist the evening meal was highly commendable the breakfasts were superb. We can not recommend this place highly enough and will certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank db08132014h

Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Ate here Saturday evening, had a starter to share, beetroot tarte tatin with goats cheese ice cream, a really weird combination that worked incredibly well despite not really being a fan of beetroot, I loved the rest of it! As for our mains, I had lamb rack which was totally amazing, but so much that I couldn't finish, and my husband had pheasant, which he only just about managed to finish. I was not expecting the quantity of food received and was pleasantly surprised by the amount and the quality, it wasn't cheap pub food, but well priced excellent restaurant food, I would happily eat here jagain and again if only to try the other 4 or 5 things I had my eye on, on the menu! I ended up having a doggie bag and eating the rest of mine for my Sunday dinner, just as nice then too!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJG1974
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We went here last Sunday after a walk, we were nearly 30mins late for our table and got there with 10 mins to spare before the kitchen shut. The staff were helpful whilst encouraging urgency for ordering and the food was good - sadly I diidn't fancy a roast as that was our prime reason for going. However, everyone-elses looked lovely! My partners in grime had spinach and goats cheese stuffed pasta which was way tastier than I thought it would be (not a pasta fan) and my lemon sole was very good. The kids food was bought out first and quickly which was perfect. Thanks guys. Main disappointments were down to our own planning and no fault of the pub :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ele W
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We visited the Dog and Muffler in Jan 2014 and received terrible service, the Saracens head is polar opposite.
We turned up at 2.45pm and the staff were very attentive and couldn't help us enough. Basic sandwiches were avail at this time but very well priced and nice environment.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BenEgerton
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed here for a long weekend and can definitely say I would return. The place oozes olde-worlde charm, and the location can't be beaten. The food is outstanding, in terms of quality of ingredients and the chef's skills at cooking & presenting it. Someone below suggested the focus was on "plentiful comfort food" and while there is plenty of it, and they do make their own pies, it's far from "pub grub". This is a restaurant to match any inn.

The beers were also outstanding, with 4-5 real ales, all in perfect condition.

As you'd expect with a building of this age, the rooms are not ultra modern, and the windows do let a draught through, but the log fire downstairs keep the radiators scorching constantly, and with temperatures close to zero outside, I was never cold in my room.

Walking in the valley and forest is superb, but the good weather certainly helped. I would definitely recommend this place for both food and accommodation, but I don't think I'd want to go In Season - it clearly draws the crowds, and the lane is narrow - if you like peace & quiet, then Out Of Season or midweek is the way to go.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Real_Yorkshire_Kev
Reviewed November 25, 2013

lovely place to stay for a short weekend overlooking the river. rooms small but spotless view stunning, food fantastic the steak is superb and the breakfast is plentiful but you do the walking to burn it off. really good walks brilliant place to chill out for a few days.

Room Tip: river view are the best
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trevorhealy
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Having lived nearby 45 years ago I decided to go back for a visit as a tourist. We had a great trip which was made very nice with our overnight at The Saracens. The room was very comfortable if a little pricey. The evening meals were very good and the breakfast great (its nice to have one cooked for you rather than from a buffet!). Staff were friendly. Its a great location

Room Tip: River views cost more, but it was worth it for us.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
The Royal Lodge
The Royal Lodge
#2 of 6 in Symonds Yat

Been to The Saracens Head Inn? Share your experiences!