“Nice Overnight” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Symonds Yat B&B and Inns
Eccleshall, United Kingdom
“Nice Overnight”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Having lived nearby 45 years ago I decided to go back for a visit as a tourist. We had a great trip which was made very nice with our overnight at The Saracens. The room was very comfortable if a little pricey. The evening meals were very good and the breakfast great (its nice to have one cooked for you rather than from a buffet!). Staff were friendly. Its a great location

Room Tip: River views cost more, but it was worth it for us.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

We first visited The Saracens Head as we had heard good things about it and it was a cold winters day so decided to warm our cockles after a little walk along the river. We were ignored upon entering and had to ask how we could get a menu and where we should sit for food. We ordered with a brisk and unfriendly waitress and then experienced a fight between someone who appeared to be some sort of manager and the chef over our table. It was very quiet and we were the only ones in this particular room. This made me feel very uncomfortable and whilst the food was okay and the menu looked interesting I didn't really enjoy my visit. My husband suggested it was just a bad day and perhaps they hadn't seen us sitting there so we went back again. This time it was even worse, it was very busy and when I walked in with my young son we were ignored completely and when I went to approach someone to ask about a menu the waitress just about barged me out the way to attend to an older couple who had just walked in. I walked out furious and my husband went in to retrieve some menus. Again the menu looked exciting and the children's menu had all the usual favourites on. To be honest I didn't want to stay but my husband really enjoys the hearty comfort food served here and he had looked forward to it.
Everyone keeps telling me how good it is here but first impressions and customer service are very important for me to enjoy my food and there are other pubs local to here I prefer for the friendly staff and warm atmosphere that I feel is really lacking here. I think perhaps The Saracens head is too big for its boots.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Have driven past the sign for Symonds Yat thousands of times without visiting - Big Mistake! Went for a night to celebrate a friends birthday and discovered a superb setting on the banks of the river Wye. The Saracens Head Inn is the perfect place to spend a night (or more) with family and friends, the food was amazing including the "full welsh/english" the next morning, the hotel is in a stunning location with a delightfull walk upto Yat Rock to blow away the cobwebs, owners and staff couldn't of been nicer, can't wait to return with children for hopefully a canoe trip up river.

Room Tip: Depends on length of stay, if only one night then any would be fine.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank BanditMan_12
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

3 nights stay with best friends. had a fab time as always. great place to leave the car and not use at all so we have long walks and eat fab food here every time. sirloin steak was our favourite this time just melted in your mouth but every choice was wonderful. rooms 3 and 7 this time good river views. have stayed in most of the rooms now but never the back rooms but friends have said how nice they are too. a few new staff faces, a great team at work. couldnt ask or want for better than staying at the saracens head inn.

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank smc190737
South Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had my 40th birthday celebrations here on the above dates - and I dont know where to begin!!!
Decided to have it at The Saracens Head Inn due to numerous exquisite visits over the years, where everything has ALWAYS been excellent. Over the two weeks, along with my partner, Kirsty, we invited over 25 people to meet there, eat, drink and stay over. Everything went so well, everything was yet again excellent, and everyone who stayed there, and both ate and drank said they would return again. The food was 5*, as was the service. Bar and waitering staff were out of this world, and went out of their way to assist Kirsty in making my 2 stays there, and that of our guests, most enjoyable and relaxing. A big thanks to Chris & Pete - hosts who were the most accomodating from the moment the first room reservation was made, until we checked out on 6.10.13. Personally, I had a memorable two evenings here, and it would be the ideal place, for a quiet, reserved celebration, such as I had!!! Also, I would like to give Paul from the bar, and Katie the restaurant manageress a very special mention, for their standards of professionalism throughout. We look forward to returning soon...... Paul & Kirsty

Room Tip: All rooms equally high standard and spotlessly clean.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Princey007
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay spontaneously after a long wet drive following a walk in the beautiful Lancaut nature reserve along the Wye. The only obstacle was lack of contact lens solutions. Greg really pushed the boat out to get us some inc offering to send out a member of staff to nearby Monmouth in the morning. He also supplied toothpaste and toothbrush. Impressive customer service hugely appreciated. The food was well prepared and delicious (sea bass and cannelloni following the vast shared fish platter as starter) with a good wine selection. If anything too large portion sizes sadly leaving us no space for desert. A really relaxed and enjoyable dining experience. The waiting staff were friendly and efficient. The room was good too with a stylish ensuite Altogether a very positive experience in a beautiful setting.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Plantmeingarden
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have just returned from a delightful stay at the Saracens Head. Wonderful setting, pleasant room overlooking the river and a great meal. Having breakfast overlooking the river was amazing. Sent a picture of this to the family who said the photo reminded them of Thailand! The staff were extremely helpful and made us feel very welcome. Would thoroughly recommend.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,052 reviews
The Royal Lodge
The Royal Lodge
#2 of 6 in Symonds Yat

Been to The Saracens Head Inn? Share your experiences!