“Cosy, generous portions and delicious - top marks”

The Saracens Head Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

What a lovely proper pub! Just the kind of thing you look for on a chilly but sunny Spring day. There's not much to choose from in the area, but this suited our needs perfectly. We sat down right next to the open fire (a wood burning stove was running in a different part of the pub) and settled in to browse the menu. Having spotted toad in the hole, I didn't want or need to look any further. My husband had a similar experience with the burger. When the food arrived, it looked delicious. The veg that came with my toad in the hole was plentiful and could have easily served 2. Thankfully it lived up to expectation and our watering mouths were rewarded by some really delicious nosh. Averagely priced for decent quality pub food, I thought the portions were really generous, which sadly meant that the pudding menu wasn't explored. If it wasn't for the little 'un being in tow and having a desire to walk up the hill to Symonds Rock, I would have been quite happy to cosy up there all afternoon.

1  Thank katherinious
Write a ReviewReviews (1,229)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had a 9oz steak meal, that was most enjoyable and tender, but cost £17.95. Then I had a slice of Baileys and Walnut flavoured cheesecake that cost £5.95.

My mom had the pie meal and the cheescake.

The total cost of our meals and one j20 each was £44.

To top this we realy should have complained, as both mom and I couldnt taste any baileys in the cheesecake at all, and there was hardly any Walnut flavouring either.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had a walk along the river bank, with a trip across the river in the hand pulled boat, before sitting down to an excellent roast dinner with all the trimmings. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the food was of a very high standard and locally sourced and the location was just stunning. We later climbed to Symonds Yat Rock and saw Peregrine falcons flying around. Just a perfect day at a perfect site. Thank you, ps the toilets at the Saracens Head were some of the cleanest and well equipped I've seen. Well done.

1  Thank Michele H
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We came here today so that we could see the historic hand pulled ferry, enjoy the scenery and have some lunch. The inn was inviting and cosy, an open fire added to the ambience and there were lots of walkers enjoying a drink and resting their dogs. I liked the fact that there is a section where you can sit with your dog even if you are muddy, and another section where you can go and eat and there are no muddy boots allowed. The menu was extensive, mid priced but all home made and very good quality, I recommend the savoury duck ( it is called something else on the menu but Trip advisor wouldn't allow me to put the word! ) with mashed potatoes and mushy peas, it was delicious.
All in all, a quaint ancient building with great views and lovely food, well worth driving to, even though the roads are a little tight in places!

4  Thank TheWench
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Nice staff, good beer and lovely log fire, worth a visit if your in the area. Could be a problem in the summer with parking but you can have that anywhere

1  Thank rob1obe