“Food better than the French”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Staff of Life

The Staff of Life
Ranked #1 of 2 Ticknall B&B and Inns
Castanet, France
“Food better than the French”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

When we left England for France 18 months ago our last night in England was spent in the Staff of Life, as had many of our Saturday lunchtimes. A couple of weeks ago we needed to spend a two days in Derbyshire for work and pleasure and we, of course, decided to return to one of our favourite haunts - The Staff of Life in Ticknall.

Kaye was as welcoming as ever, the new chef produced some wonderful food on two nights running, that actually was better than a lot of the food we have eaten in France in the last 18 months.

Our room - and we had the lovely room 5 with the four poster - was spotless, proper fresh milk was provided for our morning tea and coffee and we had two very restful and comfortable nights.

If we are ever back in Derbyshire again, the Staff will be where we stay. No question about it.

Room Tip: My brother had one of the newer rooms (room 7) and we had an executive (room 5) and they were both e...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

Having seen the negative reviews about the Staff of Life, I too felt compelled to share my thoughts. In particular, that I cannot believe that reviews are allowed on here with false accusations in them!!
I have stayed there on business (on and off) for years now and I have never felt anything other than total satisfaction.
The cleanliness is spot on and the food is better there than any pub I have ever been to (and I regard myself and very fussy).
It would be nice to see some kind of score assigned to reviewers to show how reliable they are and rule out the possibility of a review being malicious (for example from an unhappy previous employee).
Please always keep an open mind when reading reviews - I would hate to see one of my favourite places to visit be sabotaged!
Many thanks to the Staff of Life to all the lovely stays I have had there in the past!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

I was horrified to read the negative reviews shown on trip advisor for the staff of life as i am a regular visitor and couldn't fault it.
I have been staying here for over a year, initially with work but have since taken my husband for a romantic break.
The rooms are very comfortable and more importantly, extremely clean. Whilst the standard rooms are perfectly acceptable, I would reccommend an executive room for something more special. The facilities are good, and fresh milk is even provided (instead of the plastic cartons). There is loads to do in the area and the info provided in the rooms is very helpful.
The food served in the restaurant seems to get better and better with every visit and the staff always seem friendly.
Well done to everyone at The Staff of Life!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

We ate with friends here on an early saturday evening one wekend in Jily. The specials board looked inviting as did the restaurant. when we ordered i found the Pate from the specials board to be more like a liver puree...my steak was not much better, a kind of grey looking colour, that might have been because it was 30 days old? it was slabbed on top of the fries,. it made them soggy, bloody...not nice. the waiter (new?) also forgot to bring the vegetables, so by the time we had finsihed our main course it felt like we had another course coming... service kind of balnced between trying to be a gastro pub without the gastro and more a pub. A delightful lady behind the bar could kill with the looks she gave if we dare ask for a glass and not a BOTTLE of red.. And then there was the wasps! in what is an old building, one can understand why it would be warm and the odd insect flying through the open windows, it was July afterall. However it is hard to understand why in the sweltering heat of a non-air conditioned restuarant, there is no form of insect (wasp) control. trying to swat/avoid wasps during a meal is not fun!. Staff of life looks nice, and it is nice if you reduce your epxectations..it needs some work in both service and food. not sure i'd want to stay there though....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Staffs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Despite very restricive checking in times - we had a lovely stay here. All the staff were friendly, the rooms simply fabulous and the food - well, what can I say "the diet starts again today"!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

If previous reviews highlight a difficulty with the lady owner towards customers please spare a thought for the staff and imagine what she is like to work for.

In the current heatwave, my conscience is pricking and as an ex employee, (like many others I found her difficult to bear and left), to inform customers that her strict orders are for the duvet covers to be changed after two sets of customers have stayed in a room, regardless of length of stay, even in the superior rooms at nearly £100 per night. The duvet covers have no sheet between them and the bottom(fitted), bedsheet, so there is direct bodily contact.

It comes as no surprise that the woman owner is the person washing and drying the bedlinen, so this practice saves her time and money.

When I raised my concerns about this to her husband and co-owner he stated it was her domain and nothing changed.

My advice is to take your own bedlinen of two sheets and pillowcases to ensure the hygiene you would wish for is provided.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank smiley046
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was concerned about what to expect when I read previous reviews when we stayed here for a wedding in the village. Annoyingly you have to book in between 2pm-3pm, and 6pm-10pm, which is why I did not give this 4 stars.

However the rooms are comfortable and bright, nicely decorated and modern but cozy. The bed was comfortable. The lady running it was perfectly friendly and accomodating, and helped us out when we couldn't get our shower to work.

In particular there is a wonderful, ENORMOUS cooked breakfast that I would reccommend. As long as you realise its a country place, not a Hilton or a city-stay location, you will realise this is a good b&b, and should we need to stay in the area again we would certainly go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ticknall
Harpur's of Melbourne
The Priest House by the River
The Priest House by the River
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Hotel
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Ho...
#1 of 2 in Ashby de la Zouch
Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport

Been to The Staff of Life? Share your experiences!